P500 Engine longevity

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
I realize that this is totally an educated guess but approx.how many hours-miles will one of these engines go running synthetic oil?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
That depends on timely service and how its treated through its life. if its ran at high RPM , WFO at 40 mph everywhere it will have a shorter life than one say used around the farm, or typical sightseeing trail use.

To put it in perspective last September I went to the Farm Progress Show to check out and test drive the Pioneer 1000. A cattle farmer with a fairly large operation was looking over the P1K with great interest ask me a few questions about it. Then said, "Just may have to sell the Big Red and get one of these." After mentioning the bed weight and towing weight capacities. I asked him how he liked the Big Red SXS he said no it's the ATC250 Big Red got it new in 1984 all I ever had to replace on it is a few brake shoes and two gas tanks because they rusted out still runs like a charm.

So with care and maintenance it can last you 30 years.

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I have a 2003 450 ES Forman I need to check the miles and hours but it was rode hard and I never had it in a shed or garage until this year. I have plowed with it every year pulled trees clearing my land very big logs. Run it hard to the rev limiter a lot. Take it to poker runs mudding. Swamped it completely under water once. Jumped it like a sport bike it doesn't do that very good but is fun trying. Rolled it I couldn't tell you how many times. Had it literally on one wheel going 40 a few times. Wore two sets of tires completely bald to where I could not make turns and would end up off trail (dangerous don't do that). I had no brakes at all one time and did the Remy poker run (very dangerous and stupid) I got hurt on that one. now my kids drive it running to the rev limiter all the time I try to stop them but later there they go. Oh and i have a front end loader attachment that i moved and unbelieveable amount of mulch and dirt with.

Any how after all of that I have replaced the front drum brakes with disks brakes, front wheel bearings, tires a few times, oil just Dino oil not synthetic a few extra time when swamped, a few batteries, many plastic body pins and that is about it engine still starts so quick you can't even hear it crank touch the button and it's alive it still impresses people. I have had times where it sat in my woods for six months I go out and vroom I smile every time. These are the reasons I didn't even consider trading or selling it when I bought the p500 and the shifting, engine and feel of the p500 reminding me of my old faithfull Forman is the main reason I actually bought one item in my life without researching and comparing like crazy. I looked at the engine it is almost identical, the ES is exactly the same except it has paddles and auto throttle cut. I sat in it and it was like an improved big daddy version of my Forman I could not say no. I think it will easily last 20 years and 3000 plus miles. We will see I rolled it less than a week after getting it. I think I will use synthetic on the p500 though.

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I replaced the spake plug once also I didn't need to it was still running great I just thought that after 10 years a new one should be put it.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
That's the great thing about the 500, the engine/tranny combo has been around awhile, should have all the bugs worked out and last forever.

Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
Have a friend that had almost 9000 on a Forman 500 no engine issues

Reactions: Moose308
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I borrowed a friends Rancher today to apply herbicide to my hay (it has gps on it) and I checked the odometer- 13,727 miles and just under 2000 hours. Still running strong! I snapped a picture, tough to read but you can make it out if you squint just right

advertisement
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
I borrowed a friends Rancher today to apply herbicide to my hay (it has gps on it) and I checked the odometer- 13,727 miles and just under 2000 hours. Still running strong! I snapped a picture, tough to read but you can make it out if you squint just right

View attachment 10033
Impressive that's why we have Hondas

Reactions: Tflynn
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What about valve adjustments. I don't hear much about that. Seems like a lot of work to find out they aren't out or aren't out much.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
01 Rubicon, (was stollen, summer 2014), wore out 2 full sets of tires Kenda Bears claws in 26", Jet kit, exhaust, (think it was HMF), K&N and 1 spark plug (just cause). Redid rear axle bearings, cleaned front brakes a couple times, same stock battery. Over 9000 Kms of abuse and would still have it had it not been stollen... I trust the P5 is as durable and have no reason to think it won't be. Continue to use the full spectrum of Honda products, gen sets, outboard motors, weedwackers, riding lawnmower, ATV, UTV, Pilot and Civic. Excellent products.

jrc

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 10033

Headlight polishing kit will repair the scratches and bring the glass back to new in only few minutes of work. Did it on my 01 Rubi and you couldn't even see digital read out. Use McGuires headlight restore kit.

jrc