P500 Third blown engine

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
Bought a 2016 p500 and within 800 km the engine had a “cold seize”. oil changes always done and dealer checked. Dealer fixed it and we agreed that he’d keep the machine, Honda did an extended warranty on it and I got a new one(still 2016). Second machine had the same thing happen at 4850 km. I had it repairedby dealer (new cylinder, piston, rings). Two days ago at 6300 km driving along a road and “baam), huge engine noise and we died. Oil was full and only 300 km old. I always warm it up to operating temps and it was 15C outside. Don’t know what’s wrong but I’m sure it’s not good. WTF? I look after my stuff and am, needless to say, super disappointed. Thoughts?

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
We do ride some muddy trails but haven’t done so for months. I check diffs after we been in water but not a problem. Never submerged muffler ever.

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We do ride some muddy trails but haven’t done so for months. I check diffs after we been in water but not a problem. Never submerged muffler ever.
Have you had water in the oil though?
Are you snorkeled? Stock air intake is about seat level (give or take a few inches) on the driver side.

In the three rebuilds...has the oil pump ever been checked? (Sounded like one was a brand new machine, but correct me if I'm wrong)

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
The first and second machines were both brand new. Never been deep enough to submerge air intake. Don’t know if oil pump ever checked.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
Friends has a 2017 p500 That he treats like s***. 8000+ km and changes oil once in a while, but rarely cleans air filter and never checks/changes diff fluid.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the oil pump could be suspect for Engines number 2 and 3 but not so likely to have been number 1 as well.

What's your intake boot like? (Thinking "clean" side of the air box) Running stock/foam air filters?

Have you had these machines on their side?

Any overheating issues?

Did the 2016 have auto mode? Are you running auto or manual? Anyone running these motors at redline consistently?

I mean drawing two bad motors and a bad rebuild just seems like if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
So weird and sorry for your troubles. How is the dealership to work with, like are they competent? Never heard of a Honda P500 giving it up (with out some mid-adventure) much less 3 to the same owner. Just wondering at Dealership PDI/repair if they have tightened everything down.... like air intake clamps. Hopefully post 3 is the charm.... if they repair again I’d be going over it with a fine tooth comb to ensure all critical stuff is as it should be. I’d check within your community to see if dealership are on top of if.
Say Safe.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
So the oil pump could be suspect for Engines number 2 and 3 but not so likely to have been number 1 as well.

What's your intake boot like? (Thinking "clean" side of the air box) Running stock/foam air filters?

Any overheating issues?

Did the 2016 have auto mode? Are you running auto or manual? Anyone running these motors at redline consistently?

I mean drawing two bad motors and a bad rebuild just seems like if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all.

Any overheating issues?

The problem with #1 and 2 were very similar; Cylinder, piston and rings replaced but nothing else.
we are running stock air filters and they have been regularly inspected and replaced when necessary. I don’t tend to keep something suspect, I’ll just replace it.
Second machine was on its side once in a slow tip over. We were with a number of people and righted immediately. Only damage was a small dent on the side and my ego bruised.
2016 is paddle shift only. I have taken it up to top speed probably twice ever. The only other close to redline would when I am getting bogged down/ stuck and I have to give it the gas to get moving. I’m the only driver and Im a retired guy.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
So weird and sorry for your troubles. How is the dealership to work with, like are they competent? Never heard of a Honda P500 giving it up (with out some mid-adventure) much less 3 to the same owner. Just wondering at Dealership PDI/repair if they have tightened everything down.... like air intake clamps. Hopefully post 3 is the charm.... if they repair again I’d be going over it with a fine tooth comb to ensure all critical stuff is as it should be. I’d check within your community to see if dealership are on top of if.
Say Safe.
the owner of the dealership has been very good to me, but I’ve also spent Can$40k there between sxs, sleds, saws, etc.
dont have a ton of confidence in his one mechanic.
heard from the dealer just now that a valve broke, entered the cylinder, punched a hole in it and the rest is nothing but bad news. Complete motor failure. Getting a quote for me but I think I’m done with this. very unhappy and hugely disappointed.

• Wow
Reactions: Biteme
F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
The problem with #1 and 2 were very similar; Cylinder, piston and rings replaced but nothing else.
we are running stock air filters and they have been regularly inspected and replaced when necessary. I don’t tend to keep something suspect, I’ll just replace it.
Second machine was on its side once in a slow tip over. We were with a number of people and righted immediately. Only damage was a small dent on the side and my ego bruised.
2016 is paddle shift only. I have taken it up to top speed probably twice ever. The only other close to redline would when I am getting bogged down/ stuck and I have to give it the gas to get moving. I’m the only driver and Im a retired guy.
Engine is toast. Valve broke off, entered cylinder, punched a hole in it and blew up the engine.

• Wow
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
As another retired guy and knowing how I treat things, I'd be really disappointed too. The whole point of buying a Honda over its competitors is its reliability. :( As a solo rider, a breakdown would be really bad juju for me.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
As another retired guy and knowing how I treat things, I'd be really disappointed too. The whole point of buying a Honda over its competitors is its reliability. :( As a solo rider, a breakdown would be really bad juju for me.
You’re bang on. I don’t ride alone, either with wife and/or dog. When we ride it’s pretty remote. I happened to be on our about 1 km from home so getting back was not bad, but if on a ride that’s just us, I could be 20 km from home with likely no cell signal. Plus try to get machine out? A nightmare.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bought a 2016 p500 and within 800 km the engine had a “cold seize”. oil changes always done and dealer checked. Dealer fixed it and we agreed that he’d keep the machine, Honda did an extended warranty on it and I got a new one(still 2016). Second machine had the same thing happen at 4850 km. I had it repairedby dealer (new cylinder, piston, rings). Two days ago at 6300 km driving along a road and “baam), huge engine noise and we died. Oil was full and only 300 km old. I always warm it up to operating temps and it was 15C outside. Don’t know what’s wrong but I’m sure it’s not good. WTF? I look after my stuff and am, needless to say, super disappointed. Thoughts?
Well somethings wrong, that doesn’t just happen. Wrong oil, water in the intake or something has to be in play here.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These just don't blow up there's something missing here not one, not 2 but 3, just random dropping valves . these are one of strongest sxs, if not the strongest nobody else rides it , I remember how I treated my dads atvs

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
Well somethings wrong, that doesn’t just happen. Wrong oil, water in the intake or something has to be in play here.
I agree with you. Oil changed 300 km before this incident, changed by dealer. Machine never in water deep enough to get water in engine. Dealer says they know what happened, valve broke, entered cylinder, put a hole in cylinder and the rest is history. They don’t know why.

• Haha
F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
These just don't blow up there's something missing here not one, not 2 but 3, just random dropping valves . these are one of strongest sxs, if not the strongest nobody else rides it , I remember how I treated my dads atvs
In the first two I dont believe the valve dropped. That happened this time. Dealer said lots of oil in the top of engine so oil pump ok and oil was clean and full.

• Sad
Reactions: Biteme and CID
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
He ever show a pic of his P5?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!