Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
In the first two I dont believe the valve dropped. That happened this time. Dealer said lots of oil in the top of engine so oil pump ok and oil was clean and full.
What was the air temp when you had the cold seize, a cold seize only happens one way, romping on a cold motor where is the temp probe on a P5, water jacket I would guess? What was the motor temp when the third blew up?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No pic ever posted by me. I recently replaced tires with 26” and it has roof, windshield, winch, plow hook up and an aluminum box on the back.
we need pic's. Sounds like you have invested a lot of money in accessories. Three motors, don't feel like it was the motor, feel something that everyone has over looked, that caused the motor failure. We still need pic's though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme and Mudder
F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
What was the air temp when you had the cold seize, a cold seize only happens one way, romping on a cold motor where is the temp probe on a P5, water jacket I would guess? What was the motor temp when the third blew up?
The cold seize occurred last summer. I never tromp a cold engine and the dealer called it that but could not explain it. Air temp would have been 15-20C.
the blow up two days ago was 22C. air temp and the temp readout showed 2 bars, which is what mine shows when rad is warmed up.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
If that were me, I would have already contacted Honda Customer Service via phone and writing, by failure #2, and posted their response here. Just saying as you have dealer documentation? Glad the dealer is helpful.

6E3DFBC2 FF7A 4BB5 A252 F356D01D41E7

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme and CID
F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
If that were me, I would have already contacted Honda Customer Service via phone and writing, by failure #2, and posted their response here. That said, glad the dealer is helpful. View attachment 225967

We did go to Honda Canada and they agreed to split the cost of the first repair with me. Replaced cylinder, ring and piston. I’ve called them on this and started the “process”.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
we need pic's. Sounds like you have invested a lot of money in accessories. Three motors, don't feel like it was the motor, feel something that everyone has over looked, that caused the motor failure. We still need pic's though!
Haven’t taken many photos and the machine is with the dealer 45 min. away.

Reactions: Biteme
F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
What's the dealer saying?
Dealer is saying valve dropped, punched a hole in the cylinder and lots of other general havoc/damage. I’ve started the talk with Honda in. But that takes time. Dealer has been good to me so far. They’re also a sled dealer and I’ve bought two from him.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Brings back memories of this thread.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
Brings back memories of this thread.
Thx for this. Are the engines assembled Japan and then dropped in the US factory? Or assembled in US from parts?

advertisement
B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Mines full of problems as well. I don't think these are very well built machines, last Honda I'll ever own.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Disappointing! The only 475's I've seen destroyed were real abusive Foreman owners and they wore it proudly. Excuse to rebuild or hot rod 'em. Same block on both earlier repairs? You don't seem to be any worse than the rest of us here. Mechanic at dealership should have a motor guy look at it. We all might learn something....

Reactions: Biteme and CID
F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
Mines full of problems as well. I don't think these are very well built machines, last Honda I'll ever own.

Sorry to hear, but (glad) to see I’m not totally on my own here. My last Honda.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
Disappointing! The only 475's I've seen destroyed were real abusive Foreman owners and they wore it proudly. Excuse to rebuild or hot rod 'em. Same block on both earlier repairs? You don't seem to be any worse than the rest of us here. Mechanic at dealership should have a motor guy look at it. We all might learn something....
Don’t have a lot of confidence in the mechanic. Dealer is great,.........but

B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I love the company when though their always about 10 years behind. The p500 just doesn't work. All the talk of the benefits of a geared transmission, and the electronics used to run it make it totally unreliable. How many times a trip should you have to do a key reset to get it into reverse? Why put an automatic mode on a machine which doesn't work and continue to sell it that way year after year?

Reactions: Biteme and Fred-C
F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
I love the company when though their always about 10 years behind. The p500 just doesn't work. All the talk of the benefits of a geared transmission, and the electronics used to run it make it totally unreliable. How many times a trip should you have to do a key reset to get it into reverse? Why put an automatic mode on a machine which doesn't work and continue to sell it that way year after year?

At least now I’m hearing about some similar issues with these units.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I'm having a hard time with this story . None of it sounds even close to anything I've heard . Maybe your grandson is helping you out when your not around and putting an additive in it somewhere .

B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don't know what's so unbelievable. These machines are poorly made.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
I'm having a hard time with this story . None of it sounds even close to anything I've heard . Maybe your grandson is helping you out when your not around and putting an additive in it somewhere .
I have no grandson. So I don’t know where this is coming from.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
I have no grandson. I don’t know where that’s coming from. I’m a 65 year old retired guy in northern Ontario (Canada) for you Americans. I’m in the real middle of nowhere, no cell signal, no high speed inet. I need reliable and I don’t have it with two different p500’s. I look after s*** and don’t abuse my toys. I’m frustrated and annoyed as hell.

Reactions: Biteme and TimG
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!