P500 Third blown engine

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
Something is really weird in your circumstance it would really bug me why three motors went South? My dirt dog personally would I would have to hold on to it until I figured it out , or just take my loss and keep on walking. Just really weird, we have a lot of P5's around here with a lot of miles on them and no issues with the motors? Thinking cooling/electrical issues?
Not sure. Never had a cooling issue, fan came on sometimes, but I’m in Canada at 46.25 N lat, it gets hot here in summer but maybe 30C for a few days, then cools off. Electrical maybe in winter when putting load on winch when plotting. Very confused and disappointed.

Reactions: Biteme and rtn001
F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
The problem with #1 and 2 were very similar; Cylinder, piston and rings replaced but nothing else.
we are running stock air filters and they have been regularly inspected and replaced when necessary. I don’t tend to keep something suspect, I’ll just replace it.
Second machine was on its side once in a slow tip over. We were with a number of people and righted immediately. Only damage was a small dent on the side and my ego bruised.
2016 is paddle shift only. I have taken it up to top speed probably twice ever. The only other close to redline would when I am getting bogged down/ stuck and I have to give it the gas to get moving. I’m the only driver and Im a retired guy.
Don’t know. Wolves? Didn’t look at it. I’m reluctant to Polaris/arctic cat. Maybe Canadian bias. Sorry.
need three seats. Me, wife, dog.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Fred totally understand your disappointment and need for reliability. 61 years young here and venture far and wide by myself in South Central BC out of Kamloops. Went on a 100+ kms ride day before yesterday got home at 8:30 PM me and the dog, saw no one.... and most rides are that way... nobody but me and sometimes dog & wife. I keep all my gear in good shape with 6200 kms on it with mods in my sig and drive it aggressively. I’ve been really disappointed with spot and tossed it for an inReach mini blue toothed to my iPhone 11 or iPad mini, as typically no cell where I ride. Can hardly wait for Elon Musk’s StarLink system to come online...

Dealership always done your maintenance? Guess what I’m getting at it seems to me something is amiss at this dealership. Perhaps I’m mistaken and if so I stand corrected, rigs on here regularly get abused and they just keep on ticking. 3 engines with the last a dropped valve, wondering if dealerships mechanic is qualified? Not only significant cost but having to deal with not having a machine and the BS (I’m sure) with the manufacturer and dealership will be a test....
Don’t blame you for switching product lines, keep us posted on progress with Honda and dealership.
Stay safe.
j

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Fred I'm in northern Alberta and we have a lot of areas with no coverage as well. I don't feel comfortable when I get out of line of sight with my truck. Bring on the fanboys to tell us how these machines are bulletproof. Except for the engines, electronics and suspension components ( mounts) breaking.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
So Bridgie you still riding Honda or switch to other product? Really sorry to hear you’ve choked on the red coolaid.... gotta say so far I’m a Honda fan. Outboard motors, gen sets, ATVs UTVs, riding lawnmower, weed wacker and vehicles we have a bunch of red gear, so far knock on wood been good to us. Such a bummer when you loose confidence in products that can impact you in negative ways. Critical to have gear that works right when in the wilds, my Rubicon (2000) was stollen in 2014, with 11,000 kms on it. Replaced a rear axle bearing, spark plug, installed slip on exhaust and jet kit, bigger tires... that’s it. That Ruby was worked/played on severely, didn’t even adjust the valves what convinced me to by the P500. Hope you ended up with a machine you trust..
Cheers.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
Fred totally understand your disappointment and need for reliability. 61 years young here and venture far and wide by myself in South Central BC out of Kamloops. Went on a 100+ kms ride day before yesterday got home at 8:30 PM me and the dog, saw no one.... and most rides are that way... nobody but me and sometimes dog & wife. I keep all my gear in good shape with 6200 kms on it with mods in my sig and drive it aggressively. I’ve been really disappointed with spot and tossed it for an inReach mini blue toothed to my iPhone 11 or iPad mini, as typically no cell where I ride. Can hardly wait for Elon Musk’s StarLink system to come online...

Dealership always done your maintenance? Guess what I’m getting at it seems to me something is amiss at this dealership. Perhaps I’m mistaken and if so I stand corrected, rigs on here regularly get abused and they just keep on ticking. 3 engines with the last a dropped valve, wondering if dealerships mechanic is qualified? Not only significant cost but having to deal with not having a machine and the BS (I’m sure) with the manufacturer and dealership will be a test....
Don’t blame you for switching product lines, keep us posted on progress with Honda and dealership.
Stay safe.
j
Thanks for this. Yes really disappointing. I have had questions re mechanic. He did a valve adjustment on the first one incorrectly that I learned about later with no damage. He is it at the dealership. I’m not a mechanic so I really don’t know. dealer owner is great. Will keep you updated. Thx.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
So Bridgie you still riding Honda or switch to other product? Really sorry to hear you’ve choked on the red coolaid.... gotta say so far I’m a Honda fan. Outboard motors, gen sets, ATVs UTVs, riding lawnmower, weed wacker and vehicles we have a bunch of red gear, so far knock on wood been good to us. Such a bummer when you loose confidence in products that can impact you in negative ways. Critical to have gear that works right when in the wilds, my Rubicon (2000) was stollen in 2014, with 11,000 kms on it. Replaced a rear axle bearing, spark plug, installed slip on exhaust and jet kit, bigger tires... that’s it. That Ruby was worked/played on severely, didn’t even adjust the valves what convinced me to by the P500. Hope you ended up with a machine you trust..
Cheers.
Will not keep this. Full engine rebuild required. Our extended family has owned 20+ Honda auto over 40 years. Have an older gen that is great. Looking at can am, yammy and Kwai so far. No final decisions. Thx

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
We did go to Honda Canada and they agreed to split the cost of the first repair with me. Replaced cylinder, ring and piston. I’ve called them on this and started the “process”.

I thought earlier you said

“Bought a 2016 p500 and within 800 km the engine had a “cold seize”. oil changes always done and dealer checked. Dealer fixed it and we agreed that he’d keep the machine, Honda did an extended warranty on it and I got a new one(still 2016). “

What dealer happened to have two new 2016’s sitting around. Your story doesn’t make sense and has inconsistencies. Personally I think you’re full of s*** until you share something more than an inconsistent story.

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500

“Bought a 2016 p500 and within 800 km the engine had a “cold seize”. oil changes always done and dealer checked. Dealer fixed it and we agreed that he’d keep the machine, Honda did an extended warranty on it and I got a new one(still 2016). “

What dealer happened to have two new 2016’s sitting around. Your story doesn’t make sense and has inconsistencies. Personally I think you’re full of s*** until you share something more than an inconsistent story.
Putin is meddling on the Honda forums now to get us to but other brands.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500

Bought first one June 2016. Failure happened at 800 km. Covered by warranty but I gave it back to dealer, with some $, and he found one at another dealer he traded with.
second machine had first failure at 4850 km September 2019. Repaired (piston, ring and cylinder) and cost shared by me and Honda canada. Second failure at 6340 km three days ago and it’s at dealer. Valve dropped into cylinder, put a hole in it and lots of damage. I’ve got way better things to do that make up bs on a forum site. I don’t care if you believe me or not a#$hole. Go f()k yourself.

• Haha
B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Cheers.
Still have it, gonna try replacing the angle sensor on days off. I've owned a bunch of Honda stuff as well and was looking at a 3000 watt generator for the camper. Might hold off on that now or try a Yamaha.

• Haha
B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

You know it takes a real piece of garbage to kick someone who's having a tough time. Many of us on this forum have had a lot of trouble with these machines in a short time. This isn't a hockey team that you root for even when their doing poorly, it's an investment with hard earned money. Yet treating people with respect.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Giphy1

B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don't have any invoices, the Honda dealer doesn't know what the problem is and if I drop it off there's a 3 week wait for trouble shooting. He says they don't sell a lot of "entry level machines" so he doesn't know much about them.

• Sad
B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It's kind of rediculous that whenever anybody comes on this forum with a legitimate problem to fix, some fanboy jumps down their throats asking for receipts. Search the forum for p500 problems if you want proof.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It's kind of rediculous that whenever anybody comes on this forum with a legitimate problem to fix, some fanboy jumps down their throats asking for receipts. Search the forum for p500 problems if you want proof.

I looked back at your problems. What you need is a decent mechanic who can figure out the problem. Finding those can be tough, and That's something most of us would agree with.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!