P500 Third blown engine

B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I looked back at your problems. What you need is a decent mechanic who can figure out the problem. Finding those can be tough, and That's something most of us would agree with.
Yeah and the closest dealer is over 2 hours away which sucks. Maybe I'll just drop it off when hunting season is over.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Reactions: rtn001
S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I have run into lots of folks with 500s and have yet to hear of anyone with issues like you are having. Sure there have been the little things, but as a whole the people that I have run into are trouble free.

B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hope you have some luck Fred, I once bought a brand new Ford Ranger and it took 3 tries to get it home from the dealership. Kept breaking down on the way home. It's frustrating.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve jacked a lot of stuff...I mean seriously beat equipment into a steaming pile of garbage, but NEVER destroyed an engine by driving around, even with the ole brick on a gas pedal. I even accidentally back fed oil in the intake of an old Case diesel which lead to a runaway motor for 20 mins that didn’t blow up.

There’s way more to the story than I had 3 defective motors in a row and I do everything by the book.. It takes a serious amount of neglect to get most any motor to toast.

This is what SB and others are saying.

overrheated, lack of oil, oil well past useful life etc, stuck t-stat etc, etc.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious how the air filters were? I've heard of a few 700's with dusted motors because of dirty air filters. The location of the air intake leads alot to be desired on these machines. On my 700 I had 3 factory filters I would rotate around and changed them every 200 miles or so. It was crazy how fast and how dirty they would get in a couple of hundred miles. It doesn't help you out much now and hope you can find something that will give you the peace of mind.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bought first one June 2016. Failure happened at 800 km. Covered by warranty but I gave it back to dealer, with some $, and he found one at another dealer he traded with.
second machine had first failure at 4850 km September 2019. Repaired (piston, ring and cylinder) and cost shared by me and Honda canada. Second failure at 6340 km three days ago and it’s at dealer. Valve dropped into cylinder, put a hole in it and lots of damage. I’ve got way better things to do that make up bs on a forum site. I don’t care if you believe me or not a#$hole. Go f()k yourself.
A dropped valve usually occurs from engine over speed or human error. Valve keepers not seated, rocker arm hits valve retainer, valve adjusted too loose.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@Fred-C , Seems like a lot of owners think the common denominator is the mechanic and not the engine design based on many hard miles by others.. 1st machine- initial valve adjustment error as stated, and maybe same mechanic thereafter doing the same thing and expecting different results. Hope the many posts in the trouble link I posted had some info to find a root cause.

And then things took a different tone following an odd fan boy comment in post 42, not by you, and replies not directed to you. Regret that your first and only post/thread got hijacked.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
The peanut gallery has determined that valve adjustments aren't necessary.
Spot on.
85394586 F613 463E 8937 84B46133E860

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
On a serious note I have been on this forum for almost 2 years and I have actually visited this forum for almost 3 years... I was just researching the p500 cause I knew it was the machine I wanted.. when I say I have read a lot about the p5 is an understatement.... I read about fuses blown, broken axels , a lot of tip overs from @100Acre and the list goes on and on but not once have I read about engine failure 3 times from the same person so I have to agree with what others have said... it was a bad mechanic or something has been done to the machine by the owner to make all of this happen... I’m not calling the owner a liar but this Story is almost unbelievable...

D

Duckhunt

I don't know if this story helps or not, but many know I've got a 561 cc big bore kit 11:1 compression and larger cam w/ otherwise stock valvetrain. I paid A LOT for it. This summer the engine got louder and louder at idle but I played it off. Then one day I smelt a whiff of oil, and I was 3 oz low and it was darker (check every 100 miles). I'm wired internally to be overly anal, just the way I am. So I stuck the bore scope down the spark plug hole and saw light scoring on right side of cylinder. Tore it down, and left side of cylinder (thrust side) and piston were gone. I mean aluminum transfer to cylinder, grooves wore in piston and stuck rings. Long story short the company I dealt with warrantied it out (very good company in my eyes - took credit for too loose bore), new jug, piston/rings, gaskets. Down 2.5 weeks, I now have about same miles on it than before and still super quiet and super performance.

My point in all this is this: I still had great power, started easy, ran fine, on this heavily modified 475 cc Honda engine that had a major internal damage but still running. I went for a trail ride right before I bore scoped it and tore it down. Obviously not too much longer and it would/could have been different. I did have some symptoms though. But before this thread I was and am still impressed with how well built these are. This is just my opinion but there's gotta be more going on, much more severe than my experience as my troubles were really no major trouble at all besides 2.5 weeks.

Either way nevertheless that much trouble should not happen and can be extremely frustrating. Regardless of the cause/fault etc. My favorite (only) thing I like about breaking down is finding the cause to fix/improve it. I hope you find yours.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!