P500 Third blown engine

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've made living turning wrenches for last 18 years not sure what your referring to as cold sieze. My opinion your a troll or u bought a used one that's been buried in every mud hole this side of the Mississippi.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've made living turning wrenches for last 18 years not sure what your referring to as cold sieze. My opinion your a troll or u bought a used one that's been buried in every mud hole this side of the Mississippi.
Cold seize was more common in two strokes but is effectively the piston heating up extremely quick from a cold start and seizing in the jug which takes a little longer to come up to temp.

Effectively start it and rev it wfo until it blows.

I make no claims of being a mechanic but that is my understanding of the term.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thats called being a idiot lol. Not quite how that works though, the gap in your piston rings keep that from happening. I understand what your saying though, see this more in guys spraying a ton of nox most engine builders call this pinching the rings.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A dumbass tech that doesn't know what he's doing could just as well not ck the gap on assembly. it would eventually get hot enough to pinch rings and it would blow the piston apart and lock motor up so he might not be completely full of sh**.

Ross1147

Ross1147

Jun 27, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
This got out of hand quick! I think I’m the only one one this forum (that’s posted about it I think) who’s ran the machine completely out of oil. Like not a drop and still drove for over a mile before she stalled out when I went to shift. A new plug and topped off with oil and she’s still going strong at over 1000 miles later. So yeah, you can say I’m a fanboy.lol. I’ll never buy a different brand of atv/utv now.
Sorry about the problems Fred but it’s got to be something with that dealership and their maintenance? I’d find a new one!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Bought a 2016 p500 and within 800 km the engine had a “cold seize”. oil changes always done and dealer checked. Dealer fixed it and we agreed that he’d keep the machine, Honda did an extended warranty on it and I got a new one(still 2016). Second machine had the same thing happen at 4850 km. I had it repairedby dealer (new cylinder, piston, rings). Two days ago at 6300 km driving along a road and “baam), huge engine noise and we died. Oil was full and only 300 km old. I always warm it up to operating temps and it was 15C outside. Don’t know what’s wrong but I’m sure it’s not good. WTF? I look after my stuff and am, needless to say, super disappointed. Thoughts?

Question, what fuel is available locally, and what are you running? I'm not familiar with Canadian fuel requirements.

By chance is it 15% or greater ethanol content vs. the 10% in the USA?

Are you putting any fuel additives in due to your climate or for any other reason?

I'm aware these engines occasionally drop a valve, though very infrequently, it happens.

Just seems peculiar that you are having similar failures with multiple machines / engines and that something locally may be contributing to the premature failure.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Still have it, gonna try replacing the angle sensor on days off. I've owned a bunch of Honda stuff as well and was looking at a 3000 watt generator for the camper. Might hold off on that now or try a Yamaha.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Have an electric start ES3000, guessing now 3-4 years old. Use it at our family rustic Fishing Camp and this summer we put in a satellite dish so the missus can work remotely due to Covid-19 so she has worked from here all summer. Runs 18 hours a day plus, have only changed the oil. Has worked flawlessly. Don’t think you could go wrong with a Yamaha either for a gen set. The ES3000 is heavy so installed a wheel kit and is much easier to move now.
Stay Safe.
j

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
You know it takes a real piece of garbage to kick someone who's having a tough time. Many of us on this forum have had a lot of trouble with these machines in a short time. This isn't a hockey team that you root for even when their doing poorly, it's an investment with hard earned money. Yet treating people with respect.

I just think the story doesn’t add up, take a look at my other posts in the modifications and other buckets. No pictures of any damage to the motors or parts with damage that many experts here could help comment on. It just doesn’t add up for me.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
You know it takes a real piece of garbage to kick someone who's having a tough time. Many of us on this forum have had a lot of trouble with these machines in a short time. This isn't a hockey team that you root for even when their doing poorly, it's an investment with hard earned money. Yet treating people with respect.

Actually most people haven’t had problems. And these things are not an investment, they are toys or work tools that deprecate with every use. 3 engines by one owner is extraordinarily rare. Give us something to help.

F

Fender

Aug 26, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I
Actually most people haven’t had problems. And these things are not an investment, they are toys or work tools that deprecate with every use. 3 engines by one owner is extraordinarily rare. Give us something to help.

IMO, something far more out of whack than simply a fuel issue to cause such chaos. Very weird situation with three engines, but to give Fred the benefit of the doubt, I would suggest he should have gone to a different dealership/mechanic after the second go around. Seems to me that there is something up there, possibly a loyalty with a mechanic who isn’t qualified to continue working as one. That’s my two cents worth.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
Question, what fuel is available locally, and what are you running? I'm not familiar with Canadian fuel requirements.

By chance is it 15% or greater ethanol content vs. the 10% in the USA?

Are you putting any fuel additives in due to your climate or for any other reason?

I'm aware these engines occasionally drop a valve, though very infrequently, it happens.

Just seems peculiar that you are having similar failures with multiple machines / engines and that something locally may be contributing to the premature failure.
We don’t have >10% ethanol Here in our fuel.

Reactions: Biteme and lee
F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
I

IMO, something far more out of whack than simply a fuel issue to cause such chaos. Very weird situation with three engines, but to give Fred the benefit of the doubt, I would suggest he should have gone to a different dealership/mechanic after the second go around. Seems to me that there is something up there, possibly a loyalty with a mechanic who isn’t qualified to continue working as one. That’s my two cents worth.
Thx. The dealer has two locations with different mechanics. I don’t have much choice for dealers but will use the other location

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
I just think the story doesn’t add up, take a look at my other posts in the modifications and other buckets. No pictures of any damage to the motors or parts with damage that many experts here could help comment on. It just doesn’t add up for me.
the dealer is an hour away and I am going in to view the engine.

F

Fred-C

Sep 18, 2019
Constance Lake
Ownership

1. 500
Not a troll and I live in Canada. Mississippi is a very long way from here, even the upper reaches.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!