Engine Oil

M

Mlaz81

Dec 24, 2017
Madison OH
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
All those years I was self employed and worked on power strokes and Cummins I always used 15w40 diesel oil. I used which ever Advanced Auto had on sale,not shell rotella, not Dello 400, and I never ever had an oil failure.

Did you use it with a wet clutch?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@Farmer
The p1k also has a wet clutch but it is different in that it has a new type of control circuit for the clutch.
There is no history out there...
Elaborate on what you mean by control circuit if you can? I was under the impression the P1K's clutches were conventional piston/drum set up just like the 700's (and many other auto trannies) controlled by pulse-width-modulated valving.
I have not seen any post to date showing a quality oil failed to provide protection vs. most engine related problems resulted from abuse, i.e., hydro lock, or similar.

Exactly!

Reactions: Farmer
Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did you use it with a wet clutch?
Never have with a wet clutch but both my mowers,tractor and both generators / Honda and Yamaha use it. My point was that just because it has a "special" name does not make it any better than an oil with the same specs but a lesser name.

Reactions: Farmer and JTW
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Dads fatherly lesson some 40 odd years ago...
"What's the best oil Dad?"..."Clean oil"
"How often do you change your oil Dad?"..."when it's not clean oil" lol

Yep, I ask my powerstroke mechanic about Dino vs synthetic oil and his comments were similar to your dads and he added that if you do the cost differential between Dino and synthetic, that it might be cheaper to do a long block every 250,000 to 300,000 Miles rather than synthetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yep, I ask my powerstroke mechanic about Dino vs synthetic oil and his comments were similar to your dads and he added that if you do the cost differential between Dino and synthetic, that it might be cheaper to do a long block every 250,000 to 300,000 Miles rather than synthetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not going to say my Dad didn't have preferred oils because he favored Valvoline then Quaker State for years, but he would press the point of keeping the oil checked/changed regardless of brand. He would say clean cheaper oil beats dirty expensive oil

Z

ZZ15

Apr 18, 2016
Michigan
Amsoil does not make any oil, they just buy and package it.

Not 100% factual. While they don't refine oil they do purchase base oils and additives and they design and manufacture their oils in Superior, Wis and have been since 1972, some time before Mobil 1 came to market circa 1974. They do not buy oil and repackage it. One thing about AMSOIL is that they are one of very few independent oil companies left (Royal Purple & Redline sold out to petroleum oil companies). AMSOIL is not beholden to stockholders (privately owned) and forced to use base oil and additives from their parent oil company. They are free to search the world over for the best additives, some of which many others are unwilling to invest in.

I have used AMSOIL since 1975 in all my vehicles and never anything else. I have also used it in Honda ATV's for over 18 yrs (Ranchers & Rincons) and never had one issue.

About AMSOIL

8c725f3e896fb0cd79d9bc4d895f5f9e24424d5a

Reactions: Chooglin
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
They do not just relabel but they do not manufacture the additives or base oils. They purchase and then custom blend to their specs. It is a great product don't get me wrong but it is nothing that special to warrant the price. I have been in the refining/lube oil/additive business for 27 years and could write books about who makes what and how and what additive packages are used. I have also been involved in extensive wear testing and long term testing and any quality oil will work. Key is just taking care of what you have with regular maintenance.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
They do not just relabel but they do not manufacture the additives or base oils. They purchase and then custom blend to their specs. It is a great product don't get me wrong but it is nothing that special to warrant the price. I have been in the refining/lube oil/additive business for 27 years and could write books about who makes what and how and what additive packages are used. I have also been involved in extensive wear testing and long term testing and any quality oil will work. Key is just taking care of what you have with regular maintenance.
What do you use

Reactions: Eltobgi
Z

ZZ15

Apr 18, 2016
Michigan
AMSOIL chose early-on to make the best product, not provide the lowest price. Anyone CANNOT make the best product.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
754EB9D7 C122 4826 A029 344367D61482

Found this a while back. After break in, put in Mobile 1 synthetic, good or bad... its in there. Mud, deep water, poor maintenance and rough riding style likely causes more machine problems than any certified oil, but thats why we bought these to play in the dirt. Have fun..Its a Honda!

Last edited:
Reactions: Eltobgi and trigger
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
What do you use
I use Rural King synthetic $12.00 for 5 quarts. Its Warren Lubri gold synthetic. Did a lot of research when associated with Valvoline and now have analyzed the data from several oil testing companies and for normal application there is no difference when changed at normal intervals. Have analyzed the iron levels in the oil when fresh and at oil change and no statistical difference between any oil. Some oils will cherry pick data as they have lower starting iron levels to make it look like they have less wear but if you look at the delta between starting and ending there is no difference.

In refineries and chemical plant in pumps and turbines we have used everything from Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, to you name it and their was no noticeable difference in reliability the key is proper PM, same with a car or UTV.

J

JTW

I use Rural King synthetic $12.00 for 5 quarts. Its Warren Lubri gold synthetic. Did a lot of research when associated with Valvoline and now have analyzed the data from several oil testing companies and for normal application there is no difference when changed at normal intervals. Have analyzed the iron levels in the oil when fresh and at oil change and no statistical difference between any oil. Some oils will cherry pick data as they have lower starting iron levels to make it look like they have less wear but if you look at the delta between starting and ending there is no difference.

In refineries and chemical plant in pumps and turbines we have used everything from Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, to you name it and their was no noticeable difference in reliability the key is proper PM, same with a car or UTV.
Any brands to stay away from?

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe in the old redneck saying ....... if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

EVERY bike/atv I have owned has been Honda, starting in '67. I always used good oil, various brands. That is until my first diesel truck in about '90. I started running Rotella in it and to keep things simple I put Rotella in EVERYTHING .... dino, not synthetic ..... from mowers on up. It is in my '18 P1K5 and running PERFECT, including clutch/transmission.

Yeah, I know, it is not motorcycle oil ...... blah, blah, blah ..... lol.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I FOUND IT! My last read was in january but it is here now for you guys to pick apart. As stated above I am using "both" types of oil so I clearly am not picking a side here. Enjoy...

Do I need to use JASO certified "motorcycle" engine oil in my bike?

That article pretty much backed up what I knew to be the case ....... quality 'diesel' oil is about as good as it gets.

"In fact, ANY oil on the shelf that is marketed towards cars or diesels, and has a recent certification such as SM or GF-4, will easily pass the meager requirements of JASO T904"

"The latest service category for heavy duty engine oil applications is the ILSAC (International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee) is the GF4 certification.It should be clear to you from the above certification requirements that the GF4 standards are far more stringent than that of either SM or JASO certifications. Heavy duty engine oils are just that…heavy duty. And they are formulated in a way that will serve the needs of four stroke dirt bike engine just fine. This is why we see so much evidence of riders having great luck with the heavy duty engine oils such as Shell Rotella T and Mobil Delvac. Not to mention that the prices of these HDEO’s are very reasonable."

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I’m confident data exist to show wear differs between various oils and I’m not going to get into which is better.

As for myself, I use GN4 and have been running Honda’s for 40 years without a single oil related failure and suspect that trend will continue.

Ditto, 43 years of Hondas for me recommend the GN4 10-w40. I have tried synthetic in a Honda wet clutch didn't work out so well for me, oil may have had nothing to do with it but it was awful coincidental.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That article pretty much backed up what I knew to be the case ....... quality 'diesel' oil is about as good as it gets.

"In fact, ANY oil on the shelf that is marketed towards cars or diesels, and has a recent certification such as SM or GF-4, will easily pass the meager requirements of JASO T904"

"The latest service category for heavy duty engine oil applications is the ILSAC (International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee) is the GF4 certification.It should be clear to you from the above certification requirements that the GF4 standards are far more stringent than that of either SM or JASO certifications. Heavy duty engine oils are just that…heavy duty. And they are formulated in a way that will serve the needs of four stroke dirt bike engine just fine. This is why we see so much evidence of riders having great luck with the heavy duty engine oils such as Shell Rotella T and Mobil Delvac. Not to mention that the prices of these HDEO’s are very reasonable."

Rotella T6 did in my wet clutch
1w17l3

As for the rest ....
Cf5ef929b6429436cae48ba80eb1a9f6

Reactions: joeymt33

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!