BOX1

Talon Engine vibration

D

Daveb6618

Oct 15, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. Talon X
Put 140 miles on our new talon and I loved it but I did notice it has some engine vibration at around 1.5 to 2 k rpm. Above 2k it goes away and is smooth. It does this in neutral and High and low. Drove two different ones at the dealership, a red one and a blue one both X's and they both did this. I read it does this because of the way the engine is mounted to the frame and how big the cam is and all the torque the engine makes. So is this true and a Normal thing ? Or am I the only one experiencing this?

Reactions: Smitty335
Mikehallad

Mikehallad

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2019
Highland, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
Put 140 miles on our new talon and I loved it but I did notice it has some engine vibration at around 1.5 to 2 k rpm. Above 2k it goes away and is smooth. It does this in neutral and High and low. Drove two different ones at the dealership, a red one and a blue one both X's and they both did this. I read it does this because of the way the engine is mounted to the frame and how big the cam is and all the torque the engine makes. So is this true and a Normal thing ? Or am I the only one experiencing this?
I have 134 miles and I feel some roughness at start up but not after the initial start. I will pay more attention to the rpm and see if it is similar.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is normal. The Talon has a 270 degree crankshaft instead of a 180 so it is not an even fire engine. This is mainly done to increase torque. It fires similar to a V-Twin engine.

This can cause a type of vibration at certain lower load, lower RPM as you have noticed.

NemoDeven

NemoDeven

Jul 24, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is normal. The Talon has a 270 degree crankshaft instead of a 180 so it is not an even fire engine. This is mainly done to increase torque. It fires similar to a V-Twin engine.

This can cause a type of vibration at certain lower load, lower RPM as you have noticed.
I have noticed in low range when engine braking going down a steep grade the most.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Almost makes you think the engine mounts are loose or you are sitting on a Harley D never noticed this to before with my Pioneer 1000 so the 270 degree crankshaft must be the difference.
Harleys are actually a 315 degree motor so the vibrations are a little more prevalent but create that unique Harley exhaust tone.

Not sure why you don't notice it in the P1000, it is also a 270 degree motor just like the Talon. Maybe the Talon requires a little stiffer motor mount that transfers the vibration a little more.

Yamaha (allegedly) pioneered the modern day parallel 270 degree engine in 1995. It was designed to mimic the V-Twin "sound" and have more power than a 360 degree and less vibration than a 180 degree parallel twin.

It is thought by many (including Yamaha, Triumph and now Honda) that the 270 degree parallel twin motor is the best compromise between power, vibration, sound and cost. I assume that is why Honda is using it in the P1000, African Twin and now the Talon.

O

OrangeTalon20

Oct 17, 2021
NH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Hello, this is great information thank you. I just bought a 2020 Talon 1000X-4 live valve and notice the vibration at 2K. I called the dealership and was told they never heard of this. I bought the Honda as it should be bullet proof. The vibration concerned me.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello, this is great information thank you. I just bought a 2020 Talon 1000X-4 live valve and notice the vibration at 2K. I called the dealership and was told they never heard of this. I bought the Honda as it should be bullet proof. The vibration concerned me.
In my experience it is uncommon to have a problem that my local dealership has ever heard of. I gave up on them.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mine in neutral shakes badly between 1500 to 2000 rpm I don’t get it
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

Check out the link in my sig for some basic Talon information if you haven’t seen it. It’s also a sticky in the General Talon 1000 forum, making it easier to find - New Talon Owners - First Things to Know and Check.

One of the posts will link you to the driveshaft issues.

B

bstover1986

Nov 15, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome to the forum!
Got pics of this Talon, what one do u have, yr milage?
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

Search Talon Driveshaft
It’s not the drive shaft it does it in park also
D5E78BE4 1DD6 4912 8351 5BDF2083D051

B

bstover1986

Nov 15, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Its normal, torque of the motor and supposedly it is on rubber mounts, they all do it.
I was wondering if I should replace the motor mounts they got 13,000 miles on them and by the way idiot your not gonna believe this but I had your old yxz. I put the 2019 roll cage on it.

2B13A0EF 9E1B 4D98 9617 7DAA0E6372D8

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!