Major Problem....engine dies!

O

off-road

Dec 7, 2020
So Calif
Ownership

1. Talon X
Brand new 2021 TalonX LV, died on only its second time out (only 9 miles the odometer), stranding me out in the mountains...at night. Has been back at the dealer for over 2 months now, and they continue to try everything they can think of and everything that Honda's tech department suggests, but to no avail. The dealer (Chaparral Motorsports) and Honda's techs have been making a good faith effort to repair it, but Honda's customer support (Chris) has outright refused to replace the machine (even though that is what the tech guys suggest!). I think after going on 9 weeks, it is time they stepped up to the plate and replace this LEMON.

What happens is that it starts well enough when cold, but as soon as the engine warms up it dies (no warning lights come on). If you let it cool off, it may start again for 30 seconds or so, but then dies yet again, and again. My thought is that some component fails when exposed to the engine heat. They have swapped out the CPU and every sensor and what not on the machine, but there has been no cure.

Over the years I have owned maybe 25 Honda dirt bikes and ATV's (my 4 kids have all ridden from the time they could walk), and I never had a single problem with any of them. I am a good loyal Honda customer, and Honda should stand behind me. Here in the southwest, fall/spring/winter is the prime riding season. It has been 75 degrees and clear every day for a month, but I have been 9 weeks without anything to ride. I sold an absolutely bullet proof Yamaha Wolverine to finance the Honda, but beginning to wish I had it back.....

J

Junkyard

Nov 20, 2020
San diego
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I feel you pain. I’m almost two weeks into owning my machine. Had it home for a few days and suspension light is on, 3 miles on it. I’m thinking it might have always been on and it just took me a few days to notice and check the manual, I had a friend from out of town over and we were drinking. Dealership seems to want to fix it. But seriously Honda what the heck? I’m southwest too and want my machine. I’m hopeing I don’t get to 9 weeks like you. It’s just not the Honda quality we’ve come to know and love.

sorry I’m no help man. It sucks and I’m sorry your going through this bs.

Reactions: Mudder and TxDoc
Udaman

Udaman

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2020
Holt, Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon R
I feel you pain. I’m almost two weeks into owning my machine. Had it home for a few days and suspension light is on, 3 miles on it. I’m thinking it might have always been on and it just took me a few days to notice and check the manual, I had a friend from out of town over and we were drinking. Dealership seems to want to fix it. But seriously Honda what the heck? I’m southwest too and want my machine. I’m hopeing I don’t get to 9 weeks like you. It’s just not the Honda quality we’ve come to know and love.

sorry I’m no help man. It sucks and I’m sorry your going through this bs.
I would check your battery cable connections at the battery and also any ground connections on the frame and engine at left rear and under the driver seat. I found the bolt for the positive battery cable just stuck in the hole, not even engaging the threads on mine, yet it started fine for the dealer. Then at only 16 miles found only two strands of a 14 ga ground wire were crimped in the terminal at the left rear frame. Might save your self a trip to the dealer anyway.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Have they replaced the electric fuel pump, or at least driven it with a pressure gauge hooked up until it quits to see if it is maintaining correct fuel pressure?? Sounds like they need a tech who knows how to troubleshoot.

Udaman

Udaman

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2020
Holt, Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would suspect the ignition coils or an improper terminal crimp somewhere in the ignition circuit. Just a thought, I've seen some messed up crimps on mine and corrected them myself.

J

Junkyard

Nov 20, 2020
San diego
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I would check your battery cable connections at the battery and also any ground connections on the frame and engine at left rear and under the driver seat. I found the bolt for the positive battery cable just stuck in the hole, not even engaging the threads on mine, yet it started fine for the dealer. Then at only 16 miles found only two strands of a 14 ga ground wire were crimped in the terminal at the left rear frame. Might save your self a trip to the dealer anyway.

it’s already at the dealer. I checked all grounds and put a wrench on them. Didn’t check crimping though. But I did poke around at the grounds.

Reactions: Mudder
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I had a Polaris that did this, except you could drive it for about 10-20 mins (depending how hard you drove it, how warm the ambient temp was) but as soon as the engine got warm, it would die and not restart until it was cold. I chased that problem for 3 years at a bunch of different dealers and repair shops until I gave up and traded it in. I don't mean to scare you, but that's my experience with that type of problem.

Reactions: Mudder and TripleB
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
30 years ago Honda would have a tech line tech go to the dealer and fix the vehicle. They would also buy back a vehicle occasionally too. Sounds like you need to call customer relations. Maybe Chris has an idea on a time line for replacement. I had a Pioneer 700 that had a problem and it took 6 months to get it fixed, fortunately I coule buy another one to drive. Also I told my dealer the things they wanted to do wouldn't fix it. I did tell them how to fix it and after 6 months they did what I said should fix it and it did. They spent over $4,000 in parts and labor. The fix was around $40.00. When I was on tech line I went to Texas and to Georgia to fix a customer cars that the dealers couldn't fix. I also went to a local dealer to fix a scooter when I was on motorcycle tech line. Hope you don't have to wait much longer, good Luck. Oh there is probably 10 guys on this forum that could fix your Talon especially with the the use of the Honda scan tool. Make sure they have replaced the air intake temp sensor and the engine coolant temp sensor. They can make it too lean to run without setting a code.

O

off-road

Dec 7, 2020
So Calif
Ownership

1. Talon X
Finally got it back, after nearly 10 weeks! Turned out to be the oil pump. The pump didn't actually fail, but when it got hot sent out a signal saying the oil level was low....which it wasn't. It would shut the engine down, thinking it was saving it from oil starvation. Many thanks to Chaparral Motorsports and Honda factory tech support, for working long and hard to diagnose the problem.

Took it out for 2 hours last night in the hills behind my house (Reche/San Timoteo Canyon), and was more than impressed with the performance. The Live Valve is everything I had hoped for! I was bashing through huge whoops that would have knocked your teeth out in a lesser machine. Lots of stuff to install now: Bumper, Intrusion Bar, Spare Tire Carrier (all from jsportsxs), Honda accessory Light Bar, and 30" BF Goodrich KM3's on Method 410 Rims. Then, headed out to Ocotillo Wells for the weekend, to put it through its paces.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Finally got it back, after nearly 10 weeks! Turned out to be the oil pump. The pump didn't actually fail, but when it got hot sent out a signal saying the oil level was low....which it wasn't. It would shut the engine down, thinking it was saving it from oil starvation. Many thanks to Chaparral Motorsports and Honda factory tech support, for working long and hard to diagnose the problem.

Took it out for 2 hours last night in the hills behind my house (Reche/San Timoteo Canyon), and was more than impressed with the performance. The Live Valve is everything I had hoped for! I was bashing through huge whoops that would have knocked your teeth out in a lesser machine. Lots of stuff to install now: Bumper, Intrusion Bar, Spare Tire Carrier (all from jsportsxs), Honda accessory Light Bar, and 30" BF Goodrich KM3's on Method 410 Rims. Then, headed out to Ocotillo Wells for the weekend, to put it through its paces.
Good info. Maybe create a new thread with the issue /fix in the headline to help others. Glad its fixed and you posted follow up info. (Many do not and ghost the forum).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!