U-Joint problem clarification

Stilly1155

Stilly1155

Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2020
Peoria AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Ok guy's I have a 2021 X4 LV. I've read about the U-Joint problem but it only seems to be on the 2-seater's. Has anyone with a 4-seater had a prop-shaft U-Joint come apart?

Thanks

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok guy's I have a 2021 X4 LV. I've read about the U-Joint problem but it only seems to be on the 2-seater's. Has anyone with a 4-seater had a prop-shaft U-Joint come apart?

Thanks
I read one report of a 4 seater spinning u-joint cups. It doesn't appear to be as big of an issue at this point, only time will tell.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have 3600 miles on my 19 two seater x and check the joints before each major ride and so far so good. Just to be safe I got down in the front thru the the hood and tack welded the cups with my wire feed welder and did the same from the under side for the back. I now feel confident when I get out in a area where a drive shaft issue would cause a major problem. But I still do a inspection just the same when I venture out. Honda does not make the SxS like they do the ATVs for some reason,,,

• Sad
Reactions: CID
Stilly1155

Stilly1155

Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2020
Peoria AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks for the heads up.

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Can you share pics of where you did the spot welds?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can you share pics of where you did the spot welds?

No pictures, but you put the tack welds half on the face of the U-joint cap and half on the ear of the yolk. 2 per cap, do it to all the caps. This keeps them from spinning and spitting out the clip which in turn spits out the cap and ends your day.

Random internet picture but this shoud give you the idea...

Welded joints 2

advertisement
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Lots of pics and info in this thread

Reactions: Remington and CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Thanks
I got my X4 LV in October 2019, 3 K miles, no troubles……yet…..🤔

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thank you for the info and pics. Gonna have it done ASAP. So what happens if the u-joints fail from wear? Just grind off spot welds, replace ujoint, and re-tack?

Reactions: Hometeam
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
For my own information, if you spot weld the cups and bring your Talon to the dealership for other repairs, does that void the warranty. I know that fix is a good solution but what about other warranty work after that fix?

Reactions: Smitty335
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
For my own information, if you spot weld the cups and bring your Talon to the dealership for other repairs, does that void the warranty. I know that fix is a good solution but what about other warranty work after that fix?
No one here can definitively answer that question, ask your dealer.

FYI, after 3 or 4 drivelines replaced under warranty, @hondabob's dealer tack welded the last driveline THEY installed and will honor the warranty but this is an extreme case. All dealers will be different.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
Lots of pics and info in this thread

I just returned to Phoenix area this week. I bought my R here last year and then started hearing the problem needed attention after I returned to Ohio. I haven't looked at mine yet, so not sure if they have loosened any. If there is no noticable play, can they be welded in place? Easy to get to?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just returned to Phoenix area this week. I bought my R here last year and then started hearing the problem needed attention after I returned to Ohio. I haven't looked at mine yet, so not sure if they have loosened any. If there is no noticable play, can they be welded in place? Easy to get to?
Lil_Steve answers that question in post 82 of the linked thread, here -

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!