ePowersteering.com kit for the Talon

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Paul is doing great work with his research and mods for the factory steering but I wonder if anyone has changed the entire system over to this offering from ePowersteering.com? The install video was done by the Raceco shop so I know the race guys are using it. I'm growing very tired of the momentary power steering loss.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

Paul is doing great work with his research and mods for the factory steering but I wonder if anyone has changed the entire system over to this offering from ePowersteering.com? The install video was done by the Raceco shop so I know the race guys are using it. I'm growing very tired of the momentary power steering loss.

We put the kit RaceCo sells in the race car, its butter and with the steering quickener, it'll get away from you.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Holy hell thats pricy!
but if that ends up being our only option then……

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Forgot to mention they've been running fans on the motor as well to cool it off.
Thanks for the input. I'm about to order the kit. Hit a tree for the 2nd time because of the loss of power steering last time we rode. I have the 1:1 RB3 rack waiting to be installed as well. Guessing the ePowersteering setup with the RB3 rack should be totally bulletproof for us. I feel sure for our style of trail riding we probably wouldn't need the fan.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Edit: I'm an idiot. This should be in the Talon section not the General Discussion. :rolleyes:

Moved to Talon section...

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the input. I'm about to order the kit. Hit a tree for the 2nd time because of the loss of power steering last time we rode. I have the 1:1 RB3 rack waiting to be installed as well. Guessing the ePowersteering setup with the RB3 rack should be totally bulletproof for us. I feel sure for our style of trail riding we probably wouldn't need the fan.
Hold your horses. @Sheetmetalfab tried the ePowersteering unit and had bad luck with it. They were no help and he ended up putting the stock unit back on. $1K down the drain for him.

I believe I have solved the momentary loss of power assist in the apex of turns (if that is what caused your wreck) so if you wait a bit, I will post something later this week about it.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X

I've not experienced this phenomenon. Question: Could it be caused or at least exasperated by using oversized wheels/tires? Just curious.

Steve

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hold your horses. @Sheetmetalfab tried the ePowersteering unit and had bad luck with it. They were no help and he ended up putting the stock unit back on. $1K down the drain for him.

I believe I have solved the momentary loss of power assist in the apex of turns (if that is what caused your wreck) so if you wait a bit, I will post something later this week about it.
Going straight down the trail and it would not turn from the center until it was too late. No damage other than ripping the wheel out of my hands and scaring my wife.

I'll hold off buying anything for now.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Going straight down the trail and it would not turn from the center until it was too late. No damage other than ripping the wheel out of my hands and scaring my wife.

I'll hold off buying anything for now.
I used to experience that all the time at the dunes (especially when loading up one front tire) with 30x11x14 front buffs on 14x8, 0 offset wheels @ 6 psi, very scary indeed. With my latest "modification" I no longer experience any such problems and I now run 32x11x14 buffs. Although still not what I would consider "acceptable" in other situations (like rock crawling), the machine is much more of a pleasure to drive (and a hell of a lot safer) at the dunes now...

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I used to experience that all the time at the dunes (especially when loading up one front tire) with 30x11x14 front buffs on 14x8, 0 offset wheels @ 6 psi, very scary indeed. With my latest "modification" I no longer experience any such problems and I now run 32x11x14 buffs. Although still not what I would consider "acceptable" in other situations (like rock crawling), the machine is much more of a pleasure to drive (and a hell of a lot safer) at the dunes now...

View attachment 340274

32" sticky Roxxxzillas with 8 psi on 0 offset 14x7 HD9 beadlocks for us. I realize this combo is not the best for bump steer and geometry in general but it really works nice for where we ride, other than the damn power steering hanging up. Our regular is fairly slow, tight and technical, steep and rocky. Got fooled when I asked for a slight correction and got none among some very tight trees.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just for informational purposes I wanted to update after talking with Jamie Campbell at Raceco. They did not have great success with the ePowersteering kits. They have one of their own now with a larger motor. They sell their kit for $1250.00. I'm waiting on Paul after getting that price.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
We have a 400w universal kit that'll do the trick. Never got around to designing mounting brackets and specific steering shafts for the Talon because we didn't see the need initially. If this is something I should address, we can make it happen.

For the universal kit, you'd just have to fab up your own mount and cut and weld the steering shafts in the kit, and the universal will work and save a ton of cash.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
We have a 400w universal kit that'll do the trick. Never got around to designing mounting brackets and specific steering shafts for the Talon because we didn't see the need initially. If this is something I should address, we can make it happen.

For the universal kit, you'd just have to fab up your own mount and cut and weld the steering shafts in the kit, and the universal will work and save a ton of cash.
400W??? I am skeptical but intrigued. If it is even 300W, it will be a huge improvement over stock.

Send me one, I will do the R&D fab it in, figure out the proper way to "hush" the stock warning lights when you remove the stock ECU and let you know so you can determine if it is worth you making a kit.

According to a couple of polls, only about 1/3 of Talon owners are satisfied with their EPS and 1/3 are not happy at all (the other 1/3 are on the fence) If it works as good as it sounds, you will sell many of them.

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The other possible option is the 2022 Pioneer unit. It is the motor and ECU combined into one unit and word has it that it is excellent and even works well when the diff is locked.

The entire unit is not too expensive (less than $600). I have the wiring diagram and Service Manual for the `22 Pioneer coming and will see if there is any way to retrofit it to a Talon.

If it uses similar wiring inputs as the Talon and older Pioneer, it may be doable and interface right in similar to stock but they changed the joints and shafts so there will be some fabbing involved. And initializing/calibrating it may be a problem also.

However, If it utilizes the can buss for any of the functions or warnings, then all bets are off if it will even work at all.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
figure out the proper way to "hush" the stock warning lights when you remove the stock ECU
This is always one of the give-and-takes on newer machines with stock power steering. Once you remove the stock unit, the power steering light will always be there because the ECU is still searching for it. The only way to remedy that would be an ECU tune to remove the stock power steering file. We don't have access to the Honda tuning software. The fix...put a little square of black electrical tape over the light. Lol! 🤣

We sell a ton of the universal kits (170w, 220w, and 400w) for all kinds of applications. Hydroplanes, sand rails, sprint cars, and bigger machines with big portals and massive tires. We have one on one of our show Talons with the 8" portals and 44" Term MAX tires on it. Works great.
Here's the basic instructions for the 400w unit if you want to check out what it comes with. https://www.superatv.com/amfile/file/download/file/741/product/1154/

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
As Paul mentioned.

i had a less than great experience with the epowersteering.com kit.

install went easy and kit worked good at first.
PS ecu burnt out after 300 miles. (I think)
No power steering with portals is brutal.
They expected me to pay for any replacement parts that might be needed to diagnose the problem.
Very unhelpful when i was trying to diagnose the issue.

I went back to the oem setup for reliability.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!