ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I keep searching for someone to come out with a bolt on exhaust, but it's not happening.

After some responses I have received (HMF in particular), I have come to the conclusion that there are 2 big factors holding up the aftermarket:

1. The exhaust on the P500 is one piece, from header to tailpipe. The muffler is not removable from the header/midpipe and therefore a "slip-on" system is not possible without cutting the factory exhaust. A full system is considerably more expensive than a slip on. The Pioneer 700 has a separate muffler and header, and there are several slip-on options for that machine.

2. Either there are not as many P500's being sold as other models, or the exhaust manufacturers just don't think so. And apparently they don't believe that the "typical P500 owner" is willing to spend $500 - $700+ for a full exhaust system. I believe that if someone did offer a full system, that is how much it would cost.

I find it strange that Honda designed the exhaust to be one piece, rather than 2 or 3 pieces when many other of their machines have 2 and 3 piece exhausts. However, there must be a reason for it. If it wasn't for that one detail, it would be a very simple adjustment to an exhaust system that they already produce and they could sell it for the P500.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Not really noticed but stock exhaust is Stainless yes? Thinking one could weld on a Vee clamp between the old and new exhaust joint then it'd be a two piece.

jrc

M

maddmax

Feb 12, 2015
Clarksdale Ms.
Ownership

1. 500
Not really noticed but stock exhaust is Stainless yes? Thinking one could weld on a Vee clamp between the old and new exhaust joint then it'd be a two piece.

jrc
You have any codes pop up yet?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
You have any codes pop up yet?

No sir mind you mine is all stock engine, aside from extending the intake to 1/2 way up the cab.

When I was picking up oil/filter at local dealership got a price on the stock exhaust and was surprised was like $265 CDN for the whole thing.... So if a guy hacked too much or wanted to revert back or wanted a clean pattern to bend SS pipe up without having the machine sit. Then add a slip on, that's an option for a clean build. I mean most pipes, with mufflers are in the $5-700 range so would be similar no?

j

Last edited:
oly1981

oly1981

Feb 18, 2016
Lewiston Idaho
No sir mind you mine is all stock engine, aside from extending the intake to 1/2 way up the cab.

When I was picking up oil/filter at local dealership got a price on the stock exhaust and was surprised was like $265 CDN for the whole thing.... So if a guy hacked too much or wanted to revert back or wanted a clean pattern to bend SS pipe up without having the machine sit. Then add a slip on, that's an option for a clean build. I mean most pipes, with mufflers are in the $5-700 range so would be similar no?

j

Wow, I figured it would be a lot more! might have to do this now!

Looks like its 517.00 on rocky mountian atv. OEM Parts for Motorcycles, Dirt Bikes, ATVs, and UTVs | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Last edited:
advertisement
Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
20160827 232848

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Nice Talen, more pix? Specially how you joined it to existing pipe would be most helpful. Dobeck performance has created a fuel module for our P5's, hopefully that will enhance overall power especially low to mid range would be most excellent. Nice work by the way!

j

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
I didnt weld on new hangers. Bent the one at tear down along with bent bracket on pipe slightly, and was able to get a bolt through. The other bracket we didn't bend at all. Just made a small extension that can be seen in last pic. As for weld. Cut the reduction off new pipe. Added some grooves to reduce to size needed and welded them shut. Stock pipe cut right at the cast. There was a big weld that needed ground down. We did remove fenders, air box, and tie for ease.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for sharing, looks awesome and glad to hear better low end power. Check out Dobeck's fuel programmer should make a difference for sure, think so farther they're only ones to make a P5 specific one for us. Iirc it monitors O2 from exhaust pipe sensor, thinking it should be good unit with accurate metering.

j

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!