• Thread starter lifeisgoodsteve
  • Start date
L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok, so to clarify, what sxs are you installing it on?

I’m looking for one for Talon.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
D

deltajp

Mar 2, 2020
Huntington Beach, CA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I did this with a generic aftermarket automobile muffler. I'm always looking for quieter. The exhaust is quite a bit quieter, but you'll have a hard time silencing the noise from the engine itself. Ugly, but effective.
20210312 171406
20210312 171429

Reactions: lifeisgoodsteve
J

JakeLemon

Feb 24, 2021
Boise
Ownership

1. 500
I had a P5 and wanted to quiet down in-cab noise. 1st installed a 2nd muffler that quited the outside noise a lot but not the in-cab noise. Then installed a bunch of sound deadening and sound absorbing materials between engine and cab, a little better. Finally installed a searious foam headliner. Did more to quite in-cab noise than other 2 attempts combined! Start with a serious headliner!

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had a P5 and wanted to quiet down in-cab noise. 1st installed a 2nd muffler that quited the outside noise a lot but not the in-cab noise. Then installed a bunch of sound deadening and sound absorbing materials between engine and cab, a little better. Finally installed a searious foam headliner. Did more to quite in-cab noise than other 2 attempts combined! Start with a serious headliner!
So interesting as I’d not have thought of a headliner.

What did you use?

so you think it’s the sound bouncing off the inside of the roof which amplifies it and makes it sound even louder?

Reactions: Iclark and HiFive
J

JakeLemon

Feb 24, 2021
Boise
Ownership

1. 500
So interesting as I’d not have thought of a headliner.

What did you use?

so you think it’s the sound bouncing off the inside of the roof which amplifies it and makes it sound even louder?
There is a headliner manufacturer here in Boise. As a favor, he sold me the medium density 1/4" foam 5' wide in a roll that he uses. I made 3 plys. Its outer surface is smooth so easy to wipe off. Don't know where to buy same thing on the open market. Yes, it addresses the reverberation from the roof. On my previous P-500, it was the last sound-reducing thing I tried. On my new P-1000, it was the first.

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
There is a headliner manufacturer here in Boise. As a favor, he sold me the medium density 1/4" foam 5' wide in a roll that he uses. I made 3 plys. Its outer surface is smooth so easy to wipe off. Don't know where to buy same thing on the open market. Yes, it addresses the reverberation from the roof. On my previous P-500, it was the last sound-reducing thing I tried. On my new P-1000, it was the first.
How well did it reduce the sound? Also how hard was it to attach to the roof. I was thinking about doing something like this to my p500.

Reactions: lifeisgoodsteve
J

JakeLemon

Feb 24, 2021
Boise
Ownership

1. 500
It knocked the noise down 2 notches. I took the roof off of machine for ease of working, a must do. Used Permatex Automotive Headliner Adhesive, good for extreme temps. Google "1/4" closed cell foam sheet" for material choices. Photo of finished product attached.

X06WOmfNSwOCUbTdQ4BA

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It knocked the noise down 2 notches. I took the roof off of machine for ease of working, a must do. Used Permatex Automotive Headliner Adhesive, good for extreme temps. Google "1/4" closed cell foam sheet" for material choices. Photo of finished product attached.

View attachment 280263
Was the material like a neoprene foam?

J

JakeLemon

Feb 24, 2021
Boise
Ownership

1. 500
Similar to neoprene wet suit material but not that dense. However, heavier desity dampens vibration, lesser desity muffles sound. It may be a 50/50 choice, but neoprene is much more expensive. Another consideration is keeping material light weight so it doesn't sag & pull loose. Also, I think neoprene requires a special adhesive.

J

JakeLemon

Feb 24, 2021
Boise
Ownership

1. 500
They normally don't sell it to the public, but I got my headliner foam from Hothead Headliner Co. The link to their website, <About Us - Made in the USA | Hothead Headliners>. They have a video comparing their product with others so you can get an idea of materials used in the aftermarket industry. Their "economy" product did not sell, so they discontinued it. However, I liked the extra thickness of that product, so used 3 layers of their 1/4" thick foam on my headliner. I stuck everything together with headliner spray adhesive, including to the roof. I did not use backer-board or headliner fabric. Please do not bother Hothead Co. with inquiry calls. They only make & sell panels specifically made for Jeeps.

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Similar to neoprene wet suit material but not that dense. However, heavier desity dampens vibration, lesser desity muffles sound. It may be a 50/50 choice, but neoprene is much more expensive. Another consideration is keeping material light weight so it doesn't sag & pull loose. Also, I think neoprene requires a special adhesive.
Thanks. I can imagine it would be a whole lot simpler and durable to apply it to an aluminum, flat roof. My X4 roof has a heck of a lot of shape changes.

Thanks for the info.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Thanks. I can imagine it would be a whole lot simpler and durable to apply it to an aluminum, flat roof. My X4 roof has a heck of a lot of shape changes.

Thanks for the info.

Just get it in 12” squares.
Ez cut and puzzle fit.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!