P500 Factory Front Diff Lock

LiquidLogic

LiquidLogic

Mar 1, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
FWIW…I purchased and installed the SuperATV power steering unit on my 2022 P520 last week. It was a breeze. All the parts and pieces were included, along with clear instructions. Thanks in part to a few YT videos already available showing installation, I pretty much had the process memorized before I began. Everything fit exactly how I expected and It took me about 1.5 hours start to finish. The only issue I ran into was an instruction on the last step to tie the white 12-volt line from the PS wiring harness to the white wire on the Pioneer’s accessory plug. There is no white wire on said plug on my machine —- only green and black. A quick call to the support line at SuperATV confirmed my assumption that the black wire was the one to splice to for 12v power. That done, the unit worked like a dream! Very happy with the install. Highly recommend!

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Jbratt78- somehow I over looked this thread from back in Feb. Let me see if I can help ease your mind/decision on a Torq Locker:

First off- I do not own one. I might sometime in the future, but currently my P500 did not need one to get me through the trails at Moab.

I too have a lot of Jeep/truck/SUV off-road experience. I think I was the first one in our county to purchase a lunch-box locker (Loc-Right brand) back in the day when they first came out. At the time it was to most affordable option when I exploded the Eaton Gov-lock in the rear axle of my S-10 Blazer. Oh, S-10 has a 355 V-8 in it with a built 700R4 trans on 33" tires. Could only easily find a replacement axle with the correct gear ratio in an open diff. No complaints at all on the Loc-Right's performance. So my friends start buying them as well. First ill experience was a friend that put one in his new Chevy 1500 WT that was a 4.3L with a manual trans. He hated the lunch-box for it caused the truck to buck and chirp the tires every time he let the clutch out, no matter how much he slipped it. So out it came. New ill experience was another friend with a F-250, 6-inch lift and 36" tires- Loc-Right went in the front diff. Again, this was also a manual trans truck. Your description of your experience with your Blazer was pretty much word-for-word as his. About 6 other friends bought and installed them and were perfectly happy with them

What I am getting at is all of these are with vehicles with manual transmissions or large tires that are also driven on the pavement. A lunch-box type locker in a Pioneer 500 or 520 with 27" tires- ON DIRT- will not experience the loading forces of a 4500-lb vehicle on 35"+ tires. Per others on here, the benefit of the Torq-Locker way out weighs the slight side affects of it.

However, I do like the idea of a selectable locker. Would any of the guts of the selectable's in the Foreman line work in the P500/520 diff?

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve been running a torq locker in my p5 for a little over a year with about 700 miles on it, no complaints yet! When it’s in 4wd it’s locked in, no noise and no slipping, the only time I’ve noticed it ratchet in 2wd was making a tight u turn on blacktop.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I plan on getting the locker when I find my P5. Just hoping to find a mechanic that will take on putting it in. I’m good with most things. But when it’s A lot of bolts and nuts I’m the first one to have extra bolts laying around when I’m done! 😆

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I plan on getting the locker when I find my P5. Just hoping to find a mechanic that will take on putting it in. I’m good with most things. But when it’s A lot of bolts and nuts I’m the first one to have extra bolts laying around when I’m done! 😆
Just bring it along to the Takeover, I'm sure you can find a couple people that'd do it for you, for a couple beers :D

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for everyones input so far. I found a complete right side case from a 700 on ebay for about $75. I'm gonna buy it and wait to find a junked 500 box to tinker with and test my theory before I give up completely. In the meantime I will most likely be ordering a TQL and a powersteering setup to cover my bases. Probably the powersteering unit first since I just ordered 27" terrabites last night and I have a feeling I'm gonna need the assistance.
Save your money. There isn't enough space for the 700 locker- not without modifying everything in the front end. Bin there, tried that. Still have the 700 diff I wasted my money on under the bench. I was very skeptical too, as my experience with those old lockers was same as yours. Get the Torq-Locker. I still have the very first prototype installed in my machine. Over 3000 miles of pure abuse on it. It NEVER pops or clanks, dam near can't tell it's there in 4wd, and no difference from stock in 2wd. Still think it should be a factory option. I personally wouldn't want the selectable now.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
JWB- did you document your trial with the P700 locker? I am more so curious of the details as to what you did vs. what did not work about it. Or is that covered in the video link you have in your post (that I cannot seem to get to???)

Reactions: crewcabrob
NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
That's one of the first things I looked at when I joined and started going down the rabbit hole of threads on various upgrades. This is my first sxs, I have lots of experience with Jeeps and other 4x4s and I had a lunchbox locker in the front of a K5 Blazer for all of 5 minutes before I swapped it out for an Eaton Elocker. The constant ratcheting action felt like it was trying to eat itself and was just generally all around annoying. I am leery of spending the $500 and half a day install on something that I am not 100% sure is going to get the job done. I would want to ride in one to experience it first hand before making the decision. Plus I like the added flexibilty of have selectable 2/4/4 lock capabilty.
Maybe it’s just where and how I ride, but I don’t get stuck unless I’m hung up…and a locker won’t help. Maybe if we could choose which front brake grabs we would be better off…force the wheel with traction to work more. Maybe just a silly idea.

Reactions: crewcabrob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!