• Start date
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I've got a long list of mods/upgrades I'm planning on doing to my 520 and trying to save cash by doing installs myself. I've been doing some reading/watching videos/etc and am not positive I feel 100% confident installing the EPS (was planning on buying from SuperATV) and the Torq locker. I'm planning on adding both for the tracks this fall. The EPS seems easier than the Torq locker, but both seem pretty intensive as far as knowing exactly what your're doing.

I'm not a well versed mechanic by any means (stare at 2 computer screens all day) and wondering if anybody that has done these installs themselves can add any tips/tricks and if its even worth attempting myself (worst case scenario?) or just paying somebody to do it?

I'm planning on getting the Honda sub harness and attempting to install the winch before these upgrades, so I'll have a little more mechanical experience haha.

Thanks for any advice/guidance/help

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm pretty mechanically inclined but the Torq Locker wasn't really in my wheelhouse and between the detailed instructions and feedback from forum members I was able to do it. They're both pretty easy, just follow the instructions and if you're not sure about something just ask here.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I'm pretty mechanically inclined but the Torq Locker wasn't really in my wheelhouse and between the detailed instructions and feedback from forum members I was able to do it. They're both pretty easy, just follow the instructions and if you're not sure about something just ask here.

Thanks Trigger - I have an impact wrench coming and going to attempt these myself. Biggest fear is getting s*** apart and then not knowing where it goes or how it goes back together haha. I'll post questions if I have them, but fingers crossed I'll get them done. Thanks for the reply I appreciate it

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Just out of curiosity, dose the locker play well with tracks?
(You mean like rubber tracks for snow right? Not tracks like unimproved roads?)
I have some experience with tracks but not in this combination.

My experience with the locker is it locks at random times even in 2wd.
So moving the machine around in the barn with tracks could be a pain.
Maybe this is something you have already researched and the conclusion is the advantages out weigh the few times you have high traction.
Asking because I’m curious (well, nosey).

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Just out of curiosity, dose the locker play well with tracks?
(You mean like rubber tracks for snow right? Not tracks like unimproved roads?)
I have some experience with tracks but not in this combination.

My experience with the locker is it locks at random times even in 2wd.
So moving the machine around in the barn with tracks could be a pain.
Maybe this is something you have already researched and the conclusion is the advantages out weigh the few times you have high traction.
Asking because I’m curious (well, nosey).
I was under the impression that a Torq locker was going to help a lot with the tracks? I just wanted to do everything right the first time. If it is not a benefit or not needed, then I'll just scratch that off the list haha. I'm definitely not planning on rock climbing or anything crazy, just trail riding and ice fishing/hunting. This thread is what got me thinking I'd need one...

I was planning on getting the Camso 4S1s:

If the only thing I really need to run these tracks comfortably is EPS, then it might be a little easier than I was thinking to get there.

Thanks for the reply man

Last edited:
Reactions: J80
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Just to be clear, I’m not saying the locker is a bad idea.
I have seen videos of a p500 with tracks where one front was spinning in a low traction situation.
So I can see that the locker could be a good idea.
I just don’t know where the line is, that’s why I asked.

Maybe @pappyo will chime in.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Track are on P500
Please read the post -:::- TorQ - Locker & Snow Tracks Nightmare
Then form your own opinion if you need the Tork - Locker
I needed ALL 4 TRACKS with Traction to pull up & out that day
I consider TorQ - Locker -- a Good Insurance Policy.

FYI:: Impact Wrench & Threads in Aluminum Casting can get you into a lot of TROUBLE ( Be Vary Careful )

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
I installed the torq locker on mine myself and if I can do it anyone can but I was drinking that day and maybe the alcohol gave me mechanic super powers or I just got really lucky 🤷‍♂️

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Glad you guys are mentioning the impact wrench - I was asking a guy at work that is pretty mechanical about the installs and he said "shouldn't be hard but invest in a good impact wrench." I don't know halfway what I'm doing so just wanted to do things right and have the right tools for the job(s).

I'm kinda being a smart ass here, but halfway serious - is there like a "Working on your UTV for Dummies" or some sort of book or something that would kind of highlight the "don't do's"? Def don't wanna be paying major cash to fix dumb s*** I did.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Lol, just this forum. This essentially is the book. Seriously, if you question something just ask here. I read posts all the time of something someone did that I know wasn't the right way to go. They obviously didn't read through the forum or ask anyone before doing it. It's their machine and they can do whatever they want with it but some things you read you just think, well that was dumb. We won't steer you wrong.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
This place has been a wealth of knowledge. Just stick around and read up.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Spent a good part of my working career in Automotive Machine Shop ::sometimes fixing things ( after some one that Ment Well but Didn't Know How & had Lttle to No Experence ).
Quite a few were do to Mind Altering Substance causing Exspensive Mistakes. ( I prefer NOT 2 when working & wait til Done)
R.N.S. a after reading this Post appears you may fit the Meant Well & Didn't Know How category ( no offence meant ).
You may want to consider NOT performing these task & staying in your comfort zone.

EPS is more of :: Read & FOLLOW step by Step instructions -- parts replace & align check & re-check & hook up wires.
Simple 4some (humor) impossable for others ----only you know where you fit.
If you pass 1st Test of your new carrier with EPS install.
You will have more self confidence & weathergoing to tackle TorQ-Loc or NOT.
This 1 requires undivided attention & patiencee ( aligning shafts , not to damage seals ) Axles have to snap properly back in place ( (some with experence have had problems) the internals of front diff. have to be removed & replaced with New Parts In the Correct Order & held there for assembly. ( easy 4some - difficult or impossible for others.)

ALLOW PLENTY of Time WITHOUT Distractions is the best advice I can give a beginner.
How fast you can get something done IS NOT what your looking for.
Done & Done Right the 1st. TIME IS the objective.
All of this ASS-U -ME you have the tools to do the job at hand.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
<agree with everything I snipped>

ALLOW PLENTY of Time WITHOUT Distractions is the best advice I can give a beginner.
How fast you can get something done IS NOT what your looking for.
Done & Done Right the 1st. TIME IS the objective.
All of this ASS-U -ME you have the tools to do the job at hand.
Do NOT go in with a time line - "I can have this done in X.xx amount of time." Go in open ended, take your time and DON'T use a 150 ft. lb. torque wrench on 6mm fasteners. :oops: Actually I don't use a torque wrench for pretty much anything (except engines and such), they're too long and make 'feel' impossible. Buy a good inch pound torque wrench if you feel you must use one, not a $5.99 harbor fright chinese deluxe. :eek:

6mm fasteners get a short 1/4" ratchet and I choke up on it. You can feel when the fastener seats, just a nip past that and yer good. Use blue Loctite on every fastener you remove but remember Loctite kills plastic, don't let them touch. I believe a slightly under tightened fastener does less $$$ damage than one over tightened and Loctite makes up for under tightened - again, this does NOT apply to engines, aircraft and the Space Shuttle. LOL :p

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I've got a long list of mods/upgrades I'm planning on doing to my 520 and trying to save cash by doing installs myself. I've been doing some reading/watching videos/etc and am not positive I feel 100% confident installing the EPS (was planning on buying from SuperATV) and the Torq locker. I'm planning on adding both for the tracks this fall. The EPS seems easier than the Torq locker, but both seem pretty intensive as far as knowing exactly what your're doing.

I'm not a well versed mechanic by any means (stare at 2 computer screens all day) and wondering if anybody that has done these installs themselves can add any tips/tricks and if its even worth attempting myself (worst case scenario?) or just paying somebody to do it?

I'm planning on getting the Honda sub harness and attempting to install the winch before these upgrades, so I'll have a little more mechanical experience haha.

Thanks for any advice/guidance/help
Install the winch after the locker and power steering or it is just more stuff you have to get out of your way to pull the front diff. Unless you just need a winch and gotta install one asap.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for the input/replies guys, definitely helps me out a lot. I may start seeing what it would cost to have the dealer/someone install the locker. I am more of a results driven guy and don't have a ton of patience with tinkering or when things don't work as expected. If its not straight forward I prob shouldn't do it.

Install the winch after the locker and power steering or it is just more stuff you have to get out of your way to pull the front diff. Unless you just need a winch and gotta install one asap.

This is exactly the type of info that I did not think about - I am getting a StrongMade front bumper also so I might want to hold off of both of those until I get the EPS and locker done. Is there anything else I should upgrade/replace when I have stuff pulled out for the EPS/locker?

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Is there anything else I should upgrade/replace when I have stuff pulled out for the EPS/locker?

I mean...

...while you have the wheels and tires off, you minus whale put one new ones on. And while you're near the hubs, I'd probably put some spacers on there as well. And I would think you would have to pull the skid plates off to drop the differential, so you might as well put some aftermarket ones back on. Wouldn't want to have to do it twice.

Should I keep going? I could spend your money all day if you'd let me. lol

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I mean...

...while you have the wheels and tires off, you minus whale put one new ones on. And while you're near the hubs, I'd probably put some spacers on there as well. And I would think you would have to pull the skid plates off to drop the differential, so you might as well put some aftermarket ones back on. Wouldn't want to have to do it twice.

Should I keep going? I could spend your money all day if you'd let me. lol
Haha thanks - yes keep going.....I am trying to keep it 50" for trails up here, so wasn't thinking too hard about adding any width. Tires I was leaning towards ITP Mudlite XLs 26x9x12 fronts and 26x10x12 rears. I would like to get the biggest/most aggressive tire I can without rubbing on the stock rims/offset. If you got other ideas I'm all ears!

I definitely do have skid plates on my list:

What else do I need under there? Haha

Biggest concerns are (because of wiring and removing/adding stuff):

-EPS
-Locker
-Cab heater
-Winch

Reactions: J80 and Mudder
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Haha thanks - yes keep going.....I am trying to keep it 50" for trails up here, so wasn't thinking too hard about adding any width. Tires I was leaning towards ITP Mudlite XLs 26x9x12 fronts and 26x10x12 rears. I would like to get the biggest/most aggressive tire I can without rubbing on the stock rims/offset. If you got other ideas I'm all ears!

I definitely do have skid plates on my list:

What else do I need under there? Haha

Biggest concerns are (because of wiring and removing/adding stuff):

-EPS
-Locker
-Cab heater
-Winch

Most accessories come as you find the need for them. Haven't seen your name on the list yet for a shield? Apparently you haven't discovered that need yet. 🤔

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!