• Start date
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
You said trail riding and hunting as your primary use. With good tires and a bit of common sense and experience you will be amazed at where your machine will go without a locker id get good rubber EPS and a skid plate and run it some to see if the locker is really needed for your riding style. i think you also mentioned 50” trails. Tracks will put you way too wide. As far as ice fishing depending on how far you go snow depth tires etc you may not need tracks. Tire chains will be a big help and the machine will handle a foot of snow fine. A Utv will never be a snowmobile with or without tracks. They are very slow with tracks on and they put a lot of strain on the drive train. You could get a very good used snowmobile for the price of tracks and you have a machine designed for snow. Right tool for the job. And like others have said scrap the impact wrench. Lots of damage can be done with one in inexperienced hands.
I've thought hard about the tracks because you're right about the chains and capability of the machine - my old rancher on chains was almost unstoppable. I won't be using the tracks trailriding on the 50" trails - will be used for big bodies of water fishing(Fort Peck in MT, Devil's Lake ND, glacial lakes in SD, etc) and using it on forest service trails that get drifted and impassible with trucks and bigger machines.

I've always wanted a tracked out machine and I'm at the point in my life now I have cash and the means to do so. Plus a tracked out P500 looks straight bad ass to me.

Will using tracks on the 500/520 put enough strain on the drivetrain to cause problems/long term issues? If so, is there anything that can be done proactively to prevent that?

All good points man thanks for the reply

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I consider myself mechanically declined. That being said, I completed both of these myself. I'm comfortable doing oil changes, but really not much else! Studied up and printed out what I could find, making notes on helpful hints that had cropped up in others' installs. It took me way longer to do than someone with mechanical aptitude, but all the necessary instructions are here, along with exceptional folks to help with questions along the way (very promptly, I might add).

A floor jack and jack stands are helpful, which I have. Had to go to store to buy a punch that narrow. Local auto parts place had the purple gear oil (already forgot the name!). A dedicated place to put it to work on it, of course.

The EPS isn't bad at all; kinda fun. Buy the inexpensive Accessories Wiring Harness from Honda. The locker install isn't really all that hard, just go slow and keep up with washers and O rings. It was kinda cool to open up the diff casing, remove the existing gears and replace with the nifty locker. And everyone should experience the distinct smell of diff lube! You may need a second set of hands when reinstalling the diff, aligning the drive shaft.

I'm not saying you should take it on; believe me I understand the reluctance. Just sharing my thoughts! Whether you install or not, both are worth the expenditure.

And, oh yes, do the bumper and winch after, as stated. I had to get a buddy to help with my winch install. I'm not very good mechanically; I'm worse electrically!

Keep us posted!
This helps a ton man, thanks for taking the time to reply and provide your experience/
insight. I'm leaning more and more on doing it myself.

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I've thought hard about the tracks because you're right about the chains and capability of the machine - my old rancher on chains was almost unstoppable. I won't be using the tracks trailriding on the 50" trails - will be used for big bodies of water fishing(Fort Peck in MT, Devil's Lake ND, glacial lakes in SD, etc) and using it on forest service trails that get drifted and impassible with trucks and bigger machines.

I've always wanted a tracked out machine and I'm at the point in my life now I have cash and the means to do so. Plus a tracked out P500 looks straight bad ass to me.

Will using tracks on the 500/520 put enough strain on the drivetrain to cause problems/long term issues? If so, is there anything that can be done proactively to prevent that?

All good points man thanks for the reply
From what I’ve read about tracks they have built in gear reduction, you will loose some speed but the machine should be fine.

L

LeeB

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
NM
Ownership

1. 500
Not mechanic enough to advise on real mechanizing.......but the wiring harness I just put on and it’s great; plugs right into accessory line once you fine the connection; mine was electrical taped to another wire protector and I had to cut the tape and whoop there is was. The connection is red orangish to help find/distinguish. Good luck with all.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Just a comment on impacts....I mostly use a 12v Makita impact. It runs about 100ft-lbs. Light and compact and gets most all nuts off without too much trouble. As a general rule you should never use an impact for the final tightening, just use to run the nut/bolt on.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!