BOX1

Talon Factory UTV Spare Carrier

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
does anyone have any experience with the Factory UTV Spare Tire carrier? Wondering about the weight of the spare on the frame and about an effects on handling with the high weight. I like the idea of being able to see under it. I like the looks of the Jei Offroad version, but looks like would be a pain to get into any box. It s supposed to swing out, but looks like a lot of weight to hang when open

Opinions please

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
anyone?? want a spare cause ride alone sometimes

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
does anyone have any experience with the Factory UTV Spare Tire carrier? Wondering about the weight of the spare on the frame and about an effects on handling with the high weight. I like the idea of being able to see under it. I like the looks of the Jei Offroad version, but looks like would be a pain to get into any box. It s supposed to swing out, but looks like a lot of weight to hang when open

Opinions please

10% of the weight of the machine at roof level is going to adversely affect the handling

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
anyone?? want a spare cause ride alone sometimes
I bought mine in 2019? I'm pretty sure it's the SuperATV. No others look like it. I have about 1600 miles on it and I don't ride hard. And no crashes. Last week I was riding with a group and got a phone call. The guy behind me said he saw my spare break off and roll off trail. So much for their 3 month warranty. I'm guessing the pipe material was too small, either diameter or schedule. And the design, having the weight extended out pass the main supports all contribute. And/or steel quality

2023 03 21 Quartzsite  10

2023 03 21 Quartzsite  11

• Wow
Reactions: stellarpod
Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I bought mine in 2019? I'm pretty sure it's the SuperATV. No others look like it. I have about 1600 miles on it and I don't ride hard. And no crashes. Last week I was riding with a group and got a phone call. The guy behind me said he saw my spare break off and roll off trail. So much for their 3 month warranty. I'm guessing the pipe material was too small, either diameter or schedule. And the design, having the weight extended out pass the main supports all contribute. And/or steel quality
Here is what i did: www.talonsxsforums.com/threads/budget-friendly-spare-tire-mount.2242/
(copy and paste - link doesn't work) If c/p doesnt work, go to the site and and search "budget friendly spare tire mount"

Works well and is strong. Takes up bed space but the forces are correctly distributed to minimize stress/moments that the carrier experiences.

Last edited:
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can't give up my trunk space. Repairing and reinforcing mine now. Cheap and undersized pipe, plus having no sideways stabilization probably caused this.

Reactions: stellarpod
W

Wigglysqiggly

May 8, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. Talon X
This is my 3 version of this set up. First was just a bolt on tire carrier, the. The bolts snapped. Second version was to just weld it to the rear bumper and worked… until the steel cracked and broke but weld was still intact. My last version was re weld and add a support beam for less bouncing force.

B3D71F40 0105 4A28 B142 F3D0E96203AC DDFC716B 2F76 4824 8715 5A52280CDA21

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R

I think this problem is the same as most western countries are having. We get sucked in to buying cheap Chinese stuff. Their only interest is to make a sale. So quality doesn't matter. It just needs to look good. When I was young, if it was made in Japan, it was a joke. Cheap crap. They turned the page.

Reactions: scottkooch
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

View attachment 380650

View attachment 380651
That's reinforced far better than the Factory UTV carrier. I've had mine on for 10,5xx miles, so far, so good - knock on wood. :oops:

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!