P1000 Few Questions for first time buyer

swi1206

swi1206

May 25, 2017
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey, guys. New member. Looking at buying my first sxs, and the pioneer 1000-3 is looking like a front runner right now. The machine I buy will spend most of the spring and summer with a 50-100 gal sprayer in the back doing slow, stop and go work. Often in 90 plus degree heat, sometimes in tall grass/weeds. The heat issue ive been reading about is concerning, if only a little bit. Was also wondering how the Pioneer was at rowing 30" corn, if any of you guys had experience doing so. This will be mainly a work machine, but I'd like to enjoy it on the trail/gravel when possible, so long-hour comfort is also a priority. (6'4"/290) Other candidates include the Polaris Ranger and Kawasaki Mule Pro FX. I realize this is a Honda owner's forum, but objective takes on things like this can be difficult to come by. Thanks in advance!

J

JTW

The Honda 700 may be a better option for you. As it's better suited for slow going. Think of it like this... the 1000 DCT transmission is like driving a manual slow... your creeping and constantly riding the clutch if you can't get above a certain speed. The 700 on the other hand has a torque converter and is therefore is more like creeping along in an automatic vehicle. I love the power and speed of the 1000 but the 700 may be better for farm gears tasks. Now if you plan to trail ride it too and wanna go fast.. it's just preference.
I have a 1000-5 and love it. But it's more of a hybrid trail/work machine. The seat heat is an easy fix... bilge fan and some heat shield material that some guys on here make.
The mule probably isn't a bad option either... but for mainly farming Kubota and the Yamaha Viking wouldn't be bad options either. It's all subjective to what all you plan to use the machine for. And who has what in your area.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
I really want to get a P1000-3 but for farm use, the P700 does great for spraying or hauling hay or firewood. I like the manual parking brake too as it idles a lot going through fence gates, etc. I like the Mule Pro FX but you can not beat Honda's reliability. The P1000 does not do slow stop and go very well or I would pick one up.

Reactions: JTW and Arizona
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey, guys. New member. Looking at buying my first sxs, and the pioneer 1000-3 is looking like a front runner right now. The machine I buy will spend most of the spring and summer with a 50-100 gal sprayer in the back doing slow, stop and go work. Often in 90 plus degree heat, sometimes in tall grass/weeds. The heat issue ive been reading about is concerning, if only a little bit. Was also wondering how the Pioneer was at rowing 30" corn, if any of you guys had experience doing so. This will be mainly a work machine, but I'd like to enjoy it on the trail/gravel when possible, so long-hour comfort is also a priority. (6'4"/290) Other candidates include the Polaris Ranger and Kawasaki Mule Pro FX. I realize this is a Honda owner's forum, but objective takes on things like this can be difficult to come by. Thanks in advance!

If you can keep moving and have a sprayer that can spray a high enough volume to lay enough down at 4-5mph the 1000 is great.

I loved my 700 and it could creep because it's an auto, the 1000 DCT can't creep because it is a computer controlled manual. It has a clutch not a torque converter.

I had a 55gallon spot sprayer I used with my 700 BUT it didn't provide enough volume to cover an area quickly enough in the 1000 because I can't creep at 2-3 mph without slipping the clutch.

I made me a 40gallon with a 30' hose. I can park it in my yard and poison the weeds in my landscaping and while I may have to stop a few times it's a LOT easier to get my ¼ mile driveway with that vs carrying 4gallons at a time on my back.

I am going to make a boom and upgrade the pump so I can poison the driveway at speed and fertilize the yard at speed.

I use my 1000 around the house but I put way more miles on it trail riding. I'd say 95% Trail. But I still need it for work. I don't creep very often if at all the only time it's an issue is when I'm using the sprayer.

If you're 95% work get the 700 you will not have an issue with the lesser suspension travel on the 700. You can creep along at 1mph.

No machine is perfect for EVERY use. You would really need two maybe three machines in your garage to have a perfect machine for everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW and Arizona
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I would also lean very heavily towards the Pioneer 700 for farm work.

The P1000 is a 60 trail/40 work vehicle in my mind. The P700 is the inverse a 40 trail/60 work vehicle. It doesn't have as nice of a suspension or as much power or as much top speed but it has a very mature transmission system (Honda Rincon) that is nearly impervious to user induced damage. You can go as slow as you want and never have to worry about it. There are lots of videos out there and comments around of how people are using their P700 for trail riding and going pretty much anywhere a Pioneer 1000 goes but you won't see many "my P700 sucks" because the clutch is burned up/ingested water driving down the trail/drive mode out of adjustment/etc that you see with the P1000.

I would definitely look at getting the Deluxe model that has the manual shifting option. That is a really useful function. I used it all the time on my old Honda Rincon. It is very useful to keep it from shifting at inappropriate times plus you get power steering as well. That is really useful if you hit a rut/gully/etc and it won't break your thumb/wrist by jerking the wheel.

The P700 doesn't have turf mode however, if that is something that you think you might need, I would probably look at a different brand. You also might want to look at a different model if you are in a higher altitude area as the Pioneer 700 doesn't have a large amount of surplus HP and it doesn't have a low range so it might have some problems when the air gets thinner.

The Kawi Mule Pro is quiet, beefy, powerful torque and has a turf mode, a very large metal bed and is standard with a 3 year warranty but it is about a foot and a half longer than the P700/P1000, heavier and doesn't have a locking front Diff. Of course, neither do most people's 4WD/AWD vehicles that they drive everyday either. :) However, it does have a 3 cylinder automobile engine that is very well respected throughout the world for use in small car and is darn near bullet proof and it has a massive set of running gear.

My local dealer sells Can Am/Arctic Cat/Kawasaki/Polaris. The Mule Pro FXT is his number one seller followed by the Can Am Defender. Farmers around the area love the Mule Pro. We have flat to rolling hilly land.

Personally, I wouldn't get a Polaris. I have been around too many with too many problems.

Reactions: Arizona
swi1206

swi1206

May 25, 2017
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
IMG 1845
Guys, thanks for all the great info! Lots of practical and real world talk which is exactly what I wanted. But. I was seduced by speed, power, and a sweet paint job.
Not the first, and probably not the last time something like this will happen.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 45739 Guys, thanks for all the great info! Lots of practical and real world talk which is exactly what I wanted. But. I was seduced by speed, power, and a sweet paint job.
Not the first, and probably not the last time something like this will happen.

You're just too "EASY!"

I love my P1000 too!

Reactions: lrandy129
lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congrats! I really like that matte grey on the '17's.

Couple of things to check on a new one are toe-in and ensuring that your ground connections are solid.

Here's a link on toe-in --> P1000 - Front- end alignment
https://hondasxs.com/threads/front-end-alignment.6099/#post-73399
Grounds - Check the battery connections first. There are two or three?? ground connections that need to be checked - one under and one behind the drivers seat. I think there's a third, but can't recall the location.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
swi1206

swi1206

May 25, 2017
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Congrats! I really like that matte grey on the '17's.

Couple of things to check on a new one are toe-in and ensuring that your ground connections are solid.

Here's a link on toe-in --> P1000 - Front- end alignment
Grounds - Check the battery connections first. There are two or three?? ground connections that need to be checked - one under and one behind the drivers seat. I think there's a third, but can't recall the location.
Thanks! I'll check em out!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!