P1000 First change of original air filter/cleaner for '21 P1K-3

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After 1550 miles on this ride from new, I figured it was time to check/change the air filter. When the old one came out I put it up to the daylight and could barely see any light through it so I am glad I did it! I replaced it with the OEM replacement and rubber 0 rings. It seemed like the larger new rubber 0 ring was a bit to large as no matter how I tried I couldn't get it in without it buckling. So I ended up cutting about an inch out and it seemed to be a good fit. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
After 1550 miles on this ride from new, I figured it was time to check/change the air filter. When the old one came out I put it up to the daylight and could barely see any light through it so I am glad I did it! I replaced it with the OEM replacement and rubber 0 rings. It seemed like the larger new rubber 0 ring was a bit to large as no matter how I tried I couldn't get it in without it buckling. So I ended up cutting about an inch out and it seemed to be a good fit. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?
I've changed my air filter at 4k, 8k and 13k and never replaced the o ring. The first time I started to and could see it was gonna be a little bit longer. Then I read on here that people were only replacing it if it was damaged.
First change
20200402 174620

2nd
20210430 115428

3rd
20230513 093523

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe I will just keep this 1550 mile filter as a spare.. but when I put it up to the sunlight or a bright light it's like it is plugged.. but then I didn't put the new one up to a light to compare.. when I got this apart it almost looked like there were NO "0 rings" at all, they were almost compressed flat. The hex head bolts were on extremely tight.

20230610 195127

H

HondaTech

Maybe I will just keep this 1550 mile filter as a spare.. but when I put it up to the sunlight or a bright light it's like it is plugged.. but then I didn't put the new one up to a light to compare.. when I got this apart it almost looked like there were NO "0 rings" at all, they were almost compressed flat. The hex head bolts were on extremely tight.

View attachment 391521

You cant see light through them,they are oiled paper. Id have thrown that back in.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 391521
I thought the same thing about the o rings. I had to reach in with a screwdriver to confirm they were there.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

View attachment 391521
If you can see through it, dirt can get through it. That filter is damn near new.

This one is nearing replacement. (someone's Talon)

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for all the replies and especially with pictures! Everything to do with this machine as far as maintenance is concerned is a learning experience. I am just trying to make a very expensive machine last as long as I can without having a major expensive repair that could have been avoided with good preventative care..

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes I checked out that oem pre filter also yesterday and I don't even know how it could be called a filter? More like a minnow net! Haha!
Yeah, take that out and give it to the ole lady for her loofer sponge or whatever they call it. Its useless.

I mean a real snorkel in its place. Theres tons on here of what many have done. I wont tell u to search, u know how 😂
I recently got a dust filter for my snorkel. Might be in my p1 build.
That rig is in my garage at my cabin 3hrs north of here so i cant take any pics. Ill search and see if i can get u some

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Bombardier Convert
Heres a pic of mine with the new pre filter Im using. More details are in my build. post #750 or 80 somewhere in there lol
IMG 6428

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'd like to see a video of someone properly replacing that giant o-ring. I haven't replaced mine because I don't want to open a can of worms.
Oh C’mon man! Its not that bad.
ive done it about 6 times before my snorkel. No Vidgea tho, didnt think it was that hard to have to make one 🤣

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't envision how one would deal with the extra length. I'm sure it's not that hard, but I don't get it. I figured I'd wind up cutting it like dude did, so instead I just gave the old one an inspection.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I can't envision how one would deal with the extra length. I'm sure it's not that hard, but I don't get it. I figured I'd wind up cutting it like dude did, so instead I just gave the old one an inspection.
The mistake that's made IMO is that it's easy to stretch 'as you go'. If you know in advance that's a problem, you can work at keeping it compressed as you work your way around the perimeter. I'd start the o-ring in two places, 180* apart so I'd know how I was doing well before getting to the end.

You could even 'tack weld' it around the perimeter, like you would a replacement in a body panel, the more 'tacks', the less chance of stretching as you worked your way around.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If a "pre" filter is doing all the filtering it's no a "pre" filter it's became the main filter.

The stock pre filter is there to catch big chunks first
Thanks for the input and I do understand what you are saying about the pre filter catching the big stuff first. I was just thinking I would rather see a stainless mesh screen there in place of or in addition to the loofah mainly to keep a mouse from getting up in there and chewing through it to nest?

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The mistake that's made IMO is that it's easy to stretch 'as you go'. If you know in advance that's a problem, you can work at keeping it compressed as you work your way around the perimeter. I'd start the o-ring in two places, 180* apart so I'd know how I was doing well before getting to the end.

You could even 'tack weld' it around the perimeter, like you would a replacement in a body panel, the more 'tacks', the less chance of stretching as you worked your way around.
We, my wife and I, tried a bunch of times to do what you said. Nope, couldn't make it work. Had to cut it. The original 0 rings were flattened out so much I didn't think they were even able to make a good seal again unless I reefed on tightening all the bolts.

Reactions: Bama-Daniel and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!