P1000 First oil change today on '21 P1K-3 !

• Thread starter Bombardier Convert
  • Start date
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You guys are probably a little tired of reading about oil changes but to me this was special. I am just a little over 3 months since having back fusion surgery and I was actually able to get down and lay on my back to get at the drain plugs! My wife was a critical assistant in the whole process. Without her I couldn't have done it. She helped with removing and installing the filters and with filling the oil back up. Also with handing me tools and rags as I needed them. We ended up with very little oil mess. I had almost 300 miles on the buggy and I really didn't want to put to many more miles on for the first oil change. Thanks to her, all went well and my back feels fine!

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You guys are probably a little tired of reading about oil changes but to me this was special. I am just a little over 3 months since having back fusion surgery and I was actually able to get down and lay on my back to get at the drain plugs! My wife was a critical assistant in the whole process. Without her I couldn't have done it. She helped with removing and installing the filters and with filling the oil back up. Also with handing me tools and rags as I needed them. We ended up with very little oil mess. I had almost 300 miles on the buggy and I really didn't want to put to many more miles on for the first oil change. Thanks to her, all went well and my back feels fine!
Congrats 👍

Little to no mess is always good 👍

NoMo!!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
And she will be finishing up by doing the laundry! HA!

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The P1K oil change is a pain, well done hanging in there.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The P1K oil change is a pain, well done hanging in there.
Thanks! The hardest part was actually getting at the top 10mm bolt of the large upper engine filter. And all of the bolts including the drain plugs were factory nut ass tight. I just tightened them back up good and snug but not nut ass tight..

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know where your coming from. A lot of talk about first oil changes but you've just got vent after that first one. Honda did not make it easy. Engineers should have to change the oil and I bet they'd come up with a better system.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know where your coming from. A lot of talk about first oil changes but you've just got vent after that first one. Honda did not make it easy. Engineers should have to change the oil and I bet they'd come up with a better system.
I was thinking I might try to make some wood ramps to run all 4 wheels up on to get maybe another 6 to 8 inches of working height to get at the drain plugs and also not to have to bend so much to get at the filters. Wonder how that would work? I don't ever plan to do a lift kit on it or bigger diameter tires.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't know if they'd fit but if you had 4 drive up metal ramps, and most people have 2 already, you could use them. May be a lot safer because the ones I've got have a small cradle for the to rest it. I'm just not sure how high they are and if they'd fit under the rear tires and clear the frame. They'd be close but they may work.
Another idea is to use jack stands or even a combination of ramps and jack stand.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking I might try to make some wood ramps to run all 4 wheels up on to get maybe another 6 to 8 inches of working height to get at the drain plugs and also not to have to bend so much to get at the filters. Wonder how that would work? I don't ever plan to do a lift kit on it or bigger diameter tires.
I've seen pics of some guys on here drive it up on 4 ramps. Even putting the front tires on ramps helps a lot. My barn has an elevated floor that's 10-12" tall. I drive the front tires up on that and chock the tires when I'm needing to get under it

advertisement
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having a hoist in the RV garage is handy and gets a fair amount of use for unloading heavy stuff off trailers etc. The track goes to an upstairs room, so I can move heavy stuff up there (like a safe). I've put one end of the sxs on wheel ramps and hoisted the other end up for access to the underside.

20220428 223430

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having a hoist in the RV garage is handy and gets a fair amount of use for unloading heavy stuff off trailers etc. The track goes to an upstairs room, so I can move heavy stuff up there (like a safe). I've put one end of the sxs on wheel ramps and hoisted the other end up for access to the underside.

View attachment 342961
Fancy

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 342961
That's really quite a nice RV garage!

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got to brag a little, had the first oil change done at the dealer. Did my first one at home, and didn't spill a drop! took the skid plate off, and changed the engine/DCT, sub-transmission, and both differentials! I put fancy oil in everything except the engine/ DCT......

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Oil changes on a P1000 are a pain, but you get more efficient with practice. I was looking at a Talon recently, access sure looks a lot better than a Pioneer.
Hmm, may be an excuse for an upgrade/ addition….

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I use 4 Rhino ramps. They nest on each other for storage, and they are relatively cheap.
D08DFFD8 E4F0 412E 9CDB 308A718EDF22

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You guys are probably a little tired of reading about oil changes but to me this was special. I am just a little over 3 months since having back fusion surgery and I was actually able to get down and lay on my back to get at the drain plugs! My wife was a critical assistant in the whole process. Without her I couldn't have done it. She helped with removing and installing the filters and with filling the oil back up. Also with handing me tools and rags as I needed them. We ended up with very little oil mess. I had almost 300 miles on the buggy and I really didn't want to put to many more miles on for the first oil change. Thanks to her, all went well and my back
You guys are probably a little tired of reading about oil changes but to me this was special. I am just a little over 3 months since having back fusion surgery and I was actually able to get down and lay on my back to get at the drain plugs! My wife was a critical assistant in the whole process. Without her I couldn't have done it. She helped with removing and installing the filters and with filling the oil back up. Also with handing me tools and rags as I needed them. We ended up with very little oil mess. I had almost 300 miles on the buggy and I really didn't want to put to many more miles on for the first oil change. Thanks to her, all went well and my back feels fin
What part of your back did you have the spinal fusion I had 2 spinal fusion surgeries last year the first was on L4 L5 then they had to go back in and fuse L5 S1 that was 8 months ago and I am still sore and some pain I guess it’s going to take a long time to get over this stuff good luck with your back

Reactions: Mopower58
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What part of your back did you have the spinal fusion I had 2 spinal fusion surgeries last year the first was on L4 L5 then they had to go back in and fuse L5 S1 that was 8 months ago and I am still sore and some pain I guess it’s going to take a long time to get over this stuff good luck with your back
I had L4 to S1 fused. So far it has worked great. Fingers crossed that it continues. I am lucky that I have little to no pain most of the time. I did have some soreness the morning after I did the oil change. It was a pain in the butt to do the oil change and that's right where I felt it in the morning. Feels alot better now that it's done!

Reactions: CID and Mopower58
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!