P1000 First oil change today on '21 P1K-3 !

• Thread starter Bombardier Convert
  • Start date
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had L4 to S1 fused. So far it has worked great. Fingers crossed that it continues. I am lucky that I have little to no pain most of the time. I did have some soreness the morning after I did the oil change. It was a pain in the butt to do the oil change and that's right where I felt it in the morning. Feels alot better now that it's done!
I should have had mine fused to start with from L4 to S1 because right after they fused L4 L5 the L5 S1 disc went out soon as I started physical therapy I may have made a bad choice in doctors but you don’t ever know what to do with something like that a couple of months ago they said the 2 bottom screws need to come out now they don’t know so I am going to see another doctor tomorrow to get another opinion before I do anything else I am ready to get better are you walking and doing physical therapy

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I should have had mine fused to start with from L4 to S1 because right after they fused L4 L5 the L5 S1 disc went out soon as I started physical therapy I may have made a bad choice in doctors but you don’t ever know what to do with something like that a couple of months ago they said the 2 bottom screws need to come out now they don’t know so I am going to see another doctor tomorrow to get another opinion before I do anything else I am ready to get better are you walking and doing physical therapy
Sorry to hear about your back pain issues. The doctor said it was up to me about doing PT as he didn't seem to think it was necessary for me. So I am just trying to do alot of walking and now I can begin careful lifting up to 50 pounds using proper back mechanics and using my knees to lift. I was lucky to get a great spine neurosurgeon right off the bat.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
G

Griff

Oct 29, 2016
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking I might try to make some wood ramps to run all 4 wheels up on to get maybe another 6 to 8 inches of working height to get at the drain plugs and also not to have to bend so much to get at the filters. Wonder how that would work? I don't ever plan to do a lift kit on it or bigger diameter tires.
I use 4 drive on auto ramps. Works great!

Reactions: Bombardier Convert
wolf359

wolf359

Nov 23, 2019
Appalachia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So if you only have 2 ramps which would be the best 2 wheels to raise to get all the oil out? Front up, back up, drivers side or passenger side? A little extra space under there would be nice.

monbecca

monbecca

Mar 9, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having a hoist in the RV garage is handy and gets a fair amount of use for unloading heavy stuff off trailers etc. The track goes to an upstairs room, so I can move heavy stuff up there (like a safe). I've put one end of the sxs on wheel ramps and hoisted the other end up for access to the underside.

View attachment 342961
Great setup, I’m coming to your house to change oil!! My 1200 mile change will be this weekend kinda worried but have all of your notes to help me.

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put the front on car ramps. Then jack up the back level then take off the tire then dam up the oil drain holes with rags put the plugs back in throw the rags away.Then stuff rags a round the filters and drop them hardly any mess tire is easier for me then skid plate.

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put the front on car ramps. Then jack up the back level then take off the tire then dam up the oil drain holes with rags put the plugs back in throw the rags away.Then stuff rags a round the filters and drop them hardly any mess tire is easier for me then skid plate.
I can see that, can use a rattle gun on the tire. I've got an air ratchet so the skid plate comes off fairly easy for me....

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm due for an oil /filter change. Imma do it this way and see if I like it better than removing the skid plate. Thanks!

G

Griff

Oct 29, 2016
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So if you only have 2 ramps which would be the best 2 wheels to raise to get all the oil out? Front up, back up, drivers side or passenger side? A little extra space under there would be nice.
I’m not sure.
Sorry

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I’m not sure.
Sorry
I cannot answer your question either. But I would avoid raising the passenger side. It would make access to the filters a bit more of a pain.

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

All instructions, for every vehicle I've ever worked on, specify "level" for draining and/or checking fluids. Since you have one set of ramps already, the easiest options would be a second pair or ramps, or a floor jack and jack stands after one end of your vehicle is on the ramps.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just got a vacuum oil extractor off Amazon. I know it would not work well for the main engine and dct oil sums but I would think it should work good for the subtransmission? I can also use it on all of my mower and garden tractor engines. And also possibly on my regular highway vehicles. There are alot of YouTube videos for various uses, mostly all positive reviews.

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run the front on the ramps and jack the rear up level with floor jack then jack stands so you can take the tire off.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I get on the ground and remove the drain plug. 🤷‍♂️
Ditto, with the 30 inch tires and shocks it gets it up a little higher than stock height.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My brother-n-law bought a Z-24 where they'd shoehorned a V6 into an engine compartment made for an inline 4.
You had to lift the engine to change the spark plugs.
Me thinks some of those same engineers wound up in Timmonsville.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We should have a thread on "lack of vehicle service ergonomics". Bought a used MG Midget in the early 70's. You had to remove the smog pump to get to the front spark plug. Not the end of the world, just dang stupid . . . and being born in England, I can appreciate dang stupid. (Though in our defense, we did design and build the Supermarine Spitfire which kicked German BF-109 butt. And we did design and build the Rolls Royce Merlin engine which positively absolutely "made" the P-51 Mustang.) So Brits get it right now and then.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!