Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm same boat as you were Jackal @lee and @JACKAL awesome write ups with a couple great tips. Humor was added bonus. I especially like the air box clamp that's a great idea way better then hose clamp. I figured I'd look it up and there it is.:)

shawshank63

shawshank63

Jul 7, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
End of the rack showing the notches the tabs fit in to.
View attachment 9927

Reassembly tip: When you screw the socket joint back on punch the lock washer to make it lock. On mine I was punching almost the same spot as the factory punch mark.

Also, I heard that the little tabs often get ripped off on disassembly. They are cheap, order a few when you order your parts.
View attachment 9928
Any Idea on where to get these washers from Lee?

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
It's a standard Honda part.
From Bike Bandit:
Upload 2017 7 10 12 8 36

With that SR3 part number I would bet it's a car part.
Go to amazon, search the part number above and get free shipping.

shawshank63

shawshank63

Jul 7, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's a standard Honda part.
From Bike Bandit:
View attachment 48572

With that SR3 part number I would bet it's a car part.
Go to amazon, search the part number above and get free shipping.
Thanks Much. And Awesome post on the procedure! Did you worry about torque specs when re-installing?

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Much. And Awesome post on the procedure! Did you worry about torque specs when re-installing?
Torque specs?
Haha, no I'm a little ham fisted when it comes to turning wrenches.
I worried about the tie rod end in to the rack but I didn't have any way to check it.
Also I didn't want to crank on the end of the rack and hurt something.
Make sure the 'lock' washer is set and it should be ok.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes that is the correct part #. You also need a boot clamp as you will not get the original off and back on without a special tool. Check beginning of post for an alternative size clamp by member Lee. I used his suggestion it worked perfectly.
My original popped off and was still on the axel and still connected, figured how it worked, released it, I cleaned it up and with a big pair of channel locks re installed it. Will be watching it closely!

J

JTW

The inner end of the boot has a CV joint band on it. On mine the crimp was on the back side and I could not get to it. Use channel locks or vice grips to rotate the band until you have access to the crimp.

I used a punch to stretch the crimp out then unhook the band. Didn't think to take a picture until after the deed was done, but you get the idea.
View attachment 9923

Hot Tip: When replacing the band use Honda part # 95018-46250, BAND, AIR CLEANER CONNECTING TUBE (46). This band is easy to put on and take off for next time!

View attachment 9924

Some aftermarket steering racks use zip ties, and I have seen people use worm drive hose clamps. These are not recommended with the plastic boot. They can leave a gap for dirt / water to get in. As a temporary measure I have a zip tie holding mine together until Amazon delivers the clamp. The air cleaner band is made to seal all the way around to keep dirt out of the engine, good enough for a steering rack.

Reassembly tip: remember to put a little grease in the groove between the boot and the steering rack body to make sure the boot seals.
Are there different sizes (similar to part 49) that replace the tie rod band? I ordered what I thought was the correct part here a while back to replace the bands but they’re waaaay too big.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Are there different sizes (similar to part 49) that replace the tie rod band? I ordered what I thought was the correct part here a while back to replace the bands but they’re waaaay too big.

We talkin about this guy?
MyHJ1joOb9OIxKNPiSpcmPw
The picture is just something I found on the net - DON'T COPY THE PART # FROM THE PICTURE!

Official part is Honda part # 95018-46250, BAND, AIR CLEANER CONNECTING TUBE (46).
The second part of the part # starts off '-46'.
The 46 is the diameter in mm, the part in the picture is a 54mm diameter .

Do you have the correct part?
You didn't get the aftermarket part ordered from the same place you got your rear axles from did you?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just ordered 4. All spares. If you want, 2 can be yours.

J

JTW

We talkin about this guy?
View attachment 71022
The picture is just something I found on the net - DON'T COPY THE PART # FROM THE PICTURE!

Official part is Honda part # 95018-46250, BAND, AIR CLEANER CONNECTING TUBE (46).
The second part of the part # starts off '-46'.
The 46 is the diameter in mm, the part in the picture is a 54mm diameter .

Do you have the correct part?
You didn't get the aftermarket part ordered from the same place you got your rear axles from did you?
I bet that’s what I did.. ordered 54mm and not the 46mm

Reactions: ohanacreek
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I ordered 2 and a second spare tierod.
You guy's really bend that many tie rods? I have and will continue to hit stuff ask tigermark about the tree that I knocked down, think it took a lot of hits before I came along. Do you bend them with stock tire sizes? I have busted tires and broke rear view mirrors from impacts, but never bent a tie rod??????

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You guy's really bend that many tie rods? I have and will continue to hit stuff ask tigermark about the tree that I knocked down, think it took a lot of hits before I came along. Do you bend them with stock tire sizes? I have busted tires and broke rear view mirrors from impacts, but never bent a tie rod??????

I have yet to bend one but I have a feeling I can make a few hundred each off @JTW, supply and demand being what they will be .

Joking aside, I figure sooner or later I’ll screw up and bend one somehow. @joeymt33 bent one somewhere he shouldn’t have bent one but caught the wheel just right and taco’d it. OR someone will bend one and we will need to fix it, they are $20 and they bend so why not have a couple of spares.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have yet to bend one but I have a feeling I can make a few hundred each off @JTW, supply and demand being what they will be .

Joking aside, I figure sooner or later I’ll screw up and bend one somehow. @joeymt33 bent one somewhere he shouldn’t have bent one but caught the wheel just right and taco’d it.
Yea I've got to get a spare!

J

JTW

Joking aside, I figure sooner or later I’ll screw up and bend one somehow. @joeymt33 bent one somewhere he shouldn’t have bent one but caught the wheel just right and taco’d it. OR someone will bend one and we will need to fix it, they are $20 and they bend so why not have a couple of spares.
Hey f***er... I’ve already got 2 spares! Lol

One thing we should toss in are a couple front diff seals. Both of the front springs around the back of the seal came out when I removed the stock fronts. Luckily, I ordered a couple extras back after the overland to replace when I did the front axle!

Reactions: ohanacreek
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you can go a long time and never bend one.. seems to freak situations that cause it to happen. @drfubar was able to get @Tigermark bending his on camera - the rear of his front tire just rubbed a tree slightly as he was also turning and bam... bent tie rod. You have to pay attention in the video to notice when it happens.

Hey f***er... I’ve already got 2 spares! Lol

One thing we should toss in are a couple front diff seals. Both of the front springs around the back of the seal came out when I removed the stock fronts. Luckily, I ordered a couple extras back after the overland to replace when I did the front axle!
I busted a boot about this time last year and had to wait 2 weeks for replacement so I went ahead and ordered a front and rear kit to keep at the house. On big trips I’ll bring with me. - granted I have never tried to change one.. but I also know there would be multiple people jumping in to help out on a Hondasxs trip.

J

JTW

I think you can go a long time and never bend one.. seems to freak situations that cause it to happen. @drfubar was able to get @Tigermark bending his on camera - the rear of his front tire just rubbed a tree slightly as he was also turning and bam... bent tie rod. You have to pay attention in the video to notice when it happens.

I busted a boot about this time last year and had to wait 2 weeks for replacement so I went ahead and ordered a front and rear kit to keep at the house. On big trips I’ll bring with me. - granted I have never tried to change one.. but I also know there would be multiple people jumping in to help out on a Hondasxs trip.
Yeah.. I have a couple stock boots kits. I don’t know if they fit the new axles though

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!