Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Reassemble the tie rod end. Set the toe, you can count how many turns to remove the tie rod end and get a rough setting from that.

Reinstall the cotter pin, mount the wheel and your good to go.
View attachment 9929

Wow this got long. Wonder if I could get a job writing the official accessory installation instructions?

The End
View attachment 9930
Great write up, I've got a different steering rack coming and needed the band part #

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you're on the trail, who brings that many tools? I live a long way from anything in Nevada. There is no time for this shop style fix if you are broken down in the desert heat. I find a tree or preferably an old mining rail and bend the tie rod back to where it works enough to get it home. Had to do this a lot with my 1948 Jeep in Alaska. Don't see it being any different with the Pioneer.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you're on the trail, who brings that many tools? I live a long way from anything in Nevada. There is no time for this shop style fix if you are broken down in the desert heat. I find a tree or preferably an old mining rail and bend the tie rod back to where it works enough to get it home. Had to do this a lot with my 1948 Jeep in Alaska. Don't see it being any different with the Pioneer.
It takes less time to replace it than to straighten one out. And just because its not the way you would do it doesnt mean its the wrong way.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have replaced it using a large pair of vise grips, pliers, and a 19mm wrench to loosen jam nut. I carry 2 spares with me just in case due to the terrain I ride in. If you read the thread fully is says how to get by on the trail vs. having all the nice shop tools at hand. By using the alternative band from an ATC 110 as mentioned you can swap out tie rods in under 15 minutes.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@JACKAL knows what he is talking about. It was his tie rod that inspired the original post. And no, I did not stop to take pictures at the time, it was freezing cold, the trails where froze over and I just wanted to get warm, so I posed the pictures after the fact.

Reactions: JACKAL
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Once you do one you can change them pretty easy. We even changed one 1/2 way down Widowmaker - did not even have to remove the tire to change it... not ideal but it can be done. I ended up buying a 1 1/4" crows foot that can get in there and loosen up inside end of the tie rod. if slightly bent then you can try and bend it back to get you to better location.. know it is more susceptible to bending again, There are a few that you will spend more time bending back rather than changing

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Here is what I carry in the field, I have replaced 4 trail side with only the items in the below picture. Next picture is the part numbers for tie rod kit and alternative clamp.
20180322 113157
20180322 223943
20180322 140709

J

JTW

Lmao... clearly you haven’t been around this crowd much. Prepared is generally an understatement

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lmao... clearly you haven’t been around this crowd much. Prepared is generally an understatement
I have 2 pelican cases stuffed with tools and repair parts.
MM and SAE sockets sets, 3/8 & 1/2 cordless impact, 3/8 cordless ratchet, wiring tools and crimps, tire spoons, soldering iron, pliers, Knipex plier wrenches, metric tap and die set etc. More than enough tools to tackle any trail side repair. As well as a milk crate stuffed full of recovery straps, shackles, snatch blocks, ratchet straps etc. Not to mention the drivers rear door stuffed with tire repair stuff, emergency meals, TP, dry clothes, rain suit etc.

In the case of a tie rod repair, the only tool extra you would have to pack on the trail would be the 1 1/4" wrench. I had a few spares of those in my garage tool box, so I threw one in my kit.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have to order those parts any chance you have the part number for the tie rod thanks in advance
They are in post 67 above, your post is #70.

But if that's too much trouble here ya go again :D
20180322 223943

Reactions: Ragnar406
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I guess I must be easy on my equipment. I travel on trails and hillsides that would scare a billy goat, but I have never been where I would bend a tie rod. My Pioneer is like an old Jeep. Slow, dependable, and not too comfortable. I'll just plod along. Just like my 1984 Big Red 3 wheeler I finally sold to buy the Pioneer, along with my like new 1993, 1994, and 1996 Fourtrax. They still had factory tires! You guys go ahead and tear up your rigs. I'll be the old guy bringing up the rear.

Reactions: Mudwing
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I guess I must be easy on my equipment. I travel on trails and hillsides that would scare a billy goat, but I have never been where I would bend a tie rod. My Pioneer is like an old Jeep. Slow, dependable, and not too comfortable. I'll just plod along. Just like my 1984 Big Red 3 wheeler I finally sold to buy the Pioneer, along with my like new 1993, 1994, and 1996 Fourtrax. They still had factory tires! You guys go ahead and tear up your rigs. I'll be the old guy bringing up the rear.

Billy goat? as in hood of your car, we are talking Stone Sheep terrain, like Mt. Hood. You gotta up your game. :D

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

1800 miles on a 700 and 1200 on my 100, MOST of those are fought terrain. I made my first personal trailside repair other than a plug in the factory bighorns when I bent my first one a few weeks ago, it was one of those “I know I screwed up” moments. I am generally pretty easy on my machine but the OS moment is going to happen sooner or later to everyone no on is perfect.

Upside is if you have spare parts you can charge @JTW a premium and pay for your trip when he runs out of spares halfway through a weekend.

J

JTW

1800 miles on a 700 and 1200 on my 100, MOST of those are fought terrain. I made my first personal trailside repair other than a plug in the factory bighorns when I bent my first one a few weeks ago, it was one of those “I know I screwed up” moments. I am generally pretty easy on my machine but the OS moment is going to happen sooner or later to everyone no on is perfect.

Upside is if you have spare parts you can charge @JTW a premium and pay for your trip when he runs out of spares halfway through a weekend.
I’m gunna start a go fund me and creat a post here in the forum... I’m in DIRE need!!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m gunna start a go fund me and creat a post here in the forum... I’m in DIRE need!!
Make sure you sell your machine, then rush out and replace it before the check clears on your old one.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!