Fire Extinguisher questions

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yah, the Element looks pretty cool for convenience. However, compared to the traditional extinguisher they are a bit pricey. $60+ for a 1 time use. I could see having them as a supplemental, but not T

Reactions: crewcabrob
O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The things that make the Element stand out:
1. No annual inspection or recertification. (Which saves $)
2. Light weight and easy to attach to cage tube.
3. Gives approximately 5 times more discharge than dry. Chemical.
4. Doesn't leave a mess behind like dry Chemical.
5. If you never have to use it, it will likely outlast your vehicle.
6. If you need it and don't have it, it will likely be a lot more expensive.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I also have 3 in my house, one in my P1000, and one in my out-building. Just a tip, my good friend who is a fireman told my to turn my dry chemical extinguishers upside down and tap with a rubber mallet occasionally (like twice a year) to prevent the dry chemical from caking up. When you slowly turn the extinguisher back and forth, you should actually feel the chemical shift inside the extinguisher. In a jam, you can bang the extinguisher on something solid like the ground or floor to free the caking. Like everything else, regular inspection and maintenance will make sure the extinguisher is really going to work when you need it. I do wonder if those little extinguishers are big enough to do the job. I have a few larger extinguishers for my house and basement - 20 pounders.

Rick49274

Rick49274

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2021
Reading MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
I also have 3 in my house, one in my P1000, and one in my out-building. Just a tip, my good friend who is a fireman told my to turn my dry chemical extinguishers upside down and tap with a rubber mallet occasionally (like twice a year) to prevent the dry chemical from caking up. When you slowly turn the extinguisher back and forth, you should actually feel the chemical shift inside the extinguisher. In a jam, you can bang the extinguisher on something solid like the ground or floor to free the caking. Like everything else, regular inspection and maintenance will make sure the extinguisher is really going to work when you need it. I do wonder if those little extinguishers are big enough to do the job. I have a few larger extinguishers for my house and basement - 20 pounders.
Got my 20lb extinguishers from a retired fireman who is now in the business. He said almost the same though he didn't mention the mallet taps. That is one reason I am slowly transitioning to multiple Elements for vehicles and home.

N

nomyth99

Aug 14, 2021
Chardon, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great question and discussion. I had a 2lb extinguisher mounted in the cab of my old Polaris. (Never had to use it.) With all of the things I've added to my new P3, I totally forgot about a fire extinguisher. I never heard of the Element Fire Extinguisher but it sounds perfect for a SxS.

HP700

HP700

Mar 7, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. 700-2
I thought that what the puddles,, ponds, stream crossing and lakes are for?
But seriously, Yes I keep one in the commercial work truck, One in the personal pick up truck, one in the shop garages , etc.

Barry1275

Barry1275

May 30, 2020
Warner Robins, Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Road Warriors,

How many of you keep a fire extinguisher in your Honda? How about your tow vehicle? Finally, do you also have one with/in your trailer?

If you keep one in your OHV, how and where do you mount it in the vehicle? Anything else you can add, please do.

Thanks in advance.

s/f Steve
I have a quick release mounted on roll bar. Feel good knowing it's there.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
2CF3477C 5538 4B93 BAE9 A9367A565D0B

yes I use Element, one on the Talon, one in the 5Th Wheel and one in my airplane.

it’s great, no expiration, no checking gauge, no mess from a chemical fire extinguisher, no expensive rattling billet mount.

P

petek5090

Road Warriors,

How many of you keep a fire extinguisher in your Honda? How about your tow vehicle? Finally, do you also have one with/in your trailer?

If you keep one in your OHV, how and where do you mount it in the vehicle? Anything else you can add, please do.

Thanks in advance.

s/f Steve
Stay away from the rubber strap type if you live in an area that sees cold weather-they solidify and then you need channel locks to get the strap off.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Step one, get insurance.
Step two, get a fire extinguisher, if you want, for peace of mind.

I have some buddies that had a SxS catch fire.
Emptied there extinguisher and a riding buddies then stepped back and watched the vehicle burn to the ground.
The ratio of flammable stuff (plastic) to non-flammable is flipped from a car or truck.
By the time you notice a SxS is burning it's usally too late.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I have insurance on my P520, but how successful will I be at finding one and getting paid for all of the accessories I added?

I guess I may end up with multiple Elements now.

papermaker

papermaker

Jan 18, 2019
Lewiston, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 299714
yes I use Element, one on the Talon, one in the 5Th Wheel and one in my airplane.

it’s great, no expiration, no checking gauge, no mess from a chemical fire extinguisher, no expensive rattling billet mount.

The only problem I see is that you have to stand almost on top of the fire to use it effectively.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!