BOX1

P1000 Fire pioneer 1000-3

J

JJoiner38

Dec 13, 2018
Tampa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys I bought a 1000-5 about 2 weeks ago. It was a 2018 with 46 hours on it. I didn’t make it through a full tank of gas before a fire started underneath it that I couldn’t put out no matter how hard I tried. Honda has told me they can’t do anything because they can’t determine what caused the fire. If anybody else has been through this please shoot me an email with any insight. [email protected]

H

HondaTech

Agreed on the assembly issue. I'd be a pissed off SOB if I were one of the engineers who designed this marvel of an engine/trans power combo, only to have it half-assed assembled by some lazy, careless, prideless zombie.

I've been digging for an answer to a simple question. Who actually installs the throttle bodies? These engines are assembled in Japan and shipped to South Carolina for installation. So are the throttle bodies attached in Japan or in S. Carolina?

The CPSC is super interested in "thermal" issues related to SXS, hence Honda's dissatisfaction with our Talon video and subsequent removal of it. If it wasn't for Honda and other manufacturers fighting for all of us, they would have SXS banned from production. That has come directly from Honda's GM of product development. Polaris and Kawasaki have both been caught suppressing issues with their SXS units and punished, something I don't think Honda would ever do.

If you guys recall, Honda recalled the 700 early on for issues related to fires by replacing the middle skid plate with 1 with larger holes to help remove debris that could catch fire. Then if you install an aftermarket skid plate, you've negated the recall and Honda's efforts for fix an issue that as owners you could prevent by following the pre-trip checklist in the owners manual. But did they blame it on owner's? No they stepped up and tried to fix the issue and reiterated the importance of cleaning out the skid plates occasionally. I understand the exhaust being so close to skid plate didn't help the issue, but again, at least they tried to fix it.

Like @CumminsPusher said, Polaris's problems are the result of horrible engineering and design. I've personally worked on several 800 Rangers both single and double cabs. Everyone of them had melted fuel injector wires and arcing spark plug wires. The fuel lines don't stop at the fuel rail, they extend out another 6 inches to a cap. That piece of hose is just waiting to break or bust and spray all over and already not optimal situation.

I feel for you guys who lost a machine, any machine, Polaris, Honda or whatever. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes, with or without a solution to the problem. But I believe Honda is being brutally honest about the issue and would go to no end to find the center of the issue and find a solution.

I've worked for Honda for almost 11 years and love this company, they've done some stupid stuff in those 11 years and sometimes I wonder what in the world they were thinking. But in the end it all seems to work out.

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys I bought a 1000-5 about 2 weeks ago. It was a 2018 with 46 hours on it. I didn’t make it through a full tank of gas before a fire started underneath it that I couldn’t put out no matter how hard I tried. Honda has told me they can’t do anything because they can’t determine what caused the fire. If anybody else has been through this please shoot me an email with any insight. [email protected]

Wow, Im sorry to hear that. It sounds like it kept pumping fuel to the fire. Do you have any pics? Not that it will help any other than just give an idea of the damage. I wonder if it is related to the throttle body issue... I hope you had it insured if you can't get honda to do something. Seems like its honda's problem though.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JJoiner38

Dec 13, 2018
Tampa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pics of the fire As I gave up trying to put it out and about 5 mins after that

50E73F43 F9C8 4EF9 967C D6BD062FBB87 C13B71C0 9392 416D 87E2 93A4840F3AB1

J

JJoiner38

Dec 13, 2018
Tampa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@illusiveaudio,
@Jenna2016 is no longer part of this conversation but I will help connect both of you.
If club founder could also somehow put me in touch with Jenna some how I would really appreciate it. Not sure if it will help my case but I’d like to see what happened with her

Reactions: Plumber32
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pics of the fire As I gave up trying to put it out and about 5 mins after that

View attachment 97594 View attachment 97595
Yikes! I figured that was going to be what it looked like. Once they get going they burn extremely well.

I hope you are able to find a resolution you're happy with. Please keep us posted on the progress/outcome.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I feel this picture is important. The fire is clearly started behind the seat between the driver position and middle passenger. This is exactly where the throttle body is. My guess is you happened to have one that was loose and it spilled gas on a hot engine.

What happened in the 30 seconds before the fire? How were you driving it. Heavy acceleration?

I'm not saying it's your fault. I'm just wondering what triggered it. If the throttle body was loose I'm just curious what led up to the total failure.

It sure looks like you have a case that the throttle body was the issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

J

JJoiner38

Dec 13, 2018
Tampa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Prior to this I heard something rattling pretty loud. I asked my girlfriend to look back and see what it was. That’s when she saw the flames. 20 mins prior it shut off randomly on me and took two or 3 key turns to start back up. Briefly lost power around the same time and headed in. Probably didn’t go over 25 the entire ride. Regular trail riding.

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
J

JJoiner38

Dec 13, 2018
Tampa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As far as the picture being pretty clear Honda feels otherwise. They are not going to stand by it.

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Sorry Friend… glad to hear no one was injured. Maybe there is a way to check the looseness of the throttlebody and verify that the recall was done properly?

FredD

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!