First diesel purchase

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry Cummins Pusher, been a busy couple of weeks and I've not been on here.

To answer your question - 6 spd. manual and probably your next question - 3.55 gears in the diff's.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

To answer your question - 6 spd. manual and probably your next question - 3.55 gears in the diff's.

Just helping to link @CumminsPusher to the repsonse.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

know a few with same truck. Kinda funny I don’t know anyone with auto

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Funny you mention that CumminsPusher, now that I think about it, I do not know of any that have held onto 2nd Gen with an auto. Any that I can think of are also manuals.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just replaced the injectors on the red ram. I had an issue with one of the injectors earlier in the year. When I pulled it out to inspect it the injector had nothing on it for a label or marking. I was under the impression that the previous owner had replaced the injectors before selling it. I got in touch with injectors direct and they claimed the injectors were most likely knockoff/cheap because the OE injectors would have been marked as well as any reputable aftermarket injectors should have been marked. The single injector got me by for a while and the end of summer I had a second one go. I decided I would wait til black Friday and get a full set from injectors direct. I was able to snag a full kit for 1250 from injectors direct. Tubes, harness, lines, a very nice kit. I finally got around to doing it yesterday. Everything is functioning great now.

IMG 0925

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Just replaced the injectors on the red ram. I had an issue with one of the injectors earlier in the year. When I pulled it out to inspect it the injector had nothing on it for a label or marking. I was under the impression that the previous owner had replaced the injectors before selling it. I got in touch with injectors direct and they claimed the injectors were most likely knockoff/cheap because even the OE injectors would have been marked. The single injector got me by for a while and the end of summer I had a second one go. I decided I would wait til black Friday and get a full set from injectors direct. I was able to snag a full kit for 1250 from injectors direct. Tubes, harness, lines, a very nice kit. I finally got around to doing it yesterday. Everything is functioning great now.

View attachment 412728

What year is the truck? What's your odometer read? Do you change fuel filters as prescribed. Cummins (Bosch) injectors normally run 400k - 500k miles.

I put 325k miles on a 2006 HPCR 5.9L with OEM injectors and it was running strong when sold. My old 2008 6.7L now owned by friends has 290k miles on original injectors.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
ive got a 2003 f250 7.3 with 223000 miles on it auto supercab change oil every 3000 miles only problem was glow plugs had them changed put new bed on pull trailers with dont check mpg just happy with truck
Thats awesome.
I had a 95’ 7.3DI and sold it when I hit 285k
Was a beast. Just needed a crew cab at that point or I would have kept it cuz it was strong. Had a buddy that had one same yr as yours on the farm. It had 560k before the body took the ghost

A

Arcwelder

Jun 13, 2023
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is auto. The current transmission looks original but the fluid looks like new. I assume it either was flushed or maybe rebuilt. It shifts good with no slip currently. I agree the weak points in the dodges are transmissions.
The lift pump sucks too. I know bc I ruined my vp44 because of it

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What year is the truck? What's your odometer read? Do you change fuel filters as prescribed. Cummins (Bosch) injectors normally run 400k - 500k miles.

I put 325k miles on a 2006 HPCR 5.9L with OEM injectors and it was running strong when sold. My old 2008 6.7L now owned by friends has 290k miles on original injectors.
The red one was at 212k I believe. I purchased truck at 200k so I am not sure how well the previous owner took care of it. I don't remember the DTC off the top of my head but both injectors were circuit issues and when measured with an OHMeter they were open internally. I can assume they were just cheap online injectors based on the conversation I had with injectors direct.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The red one was at 212k I believe. I purchased truck at 200k so I am not sure how well the previous owner took care of it. I don't remember the DTC off the top of my head but both injectors were circuit issues and when measured with an OHMeter they were open internally. I can assume they were just cheap online injectors based on the conversation I had with injectors direct.

A HPCR 5.9L?

There are vendors selling injectors, rebuilt injectors, and other exaggerated claims all over the US but I believe a shop must have expensive Bosch equipment to actually rebuild and balance a set of six injectors.

I know they are expensive but the engine can provide reliable service for another 200 - 300 k miles. My sincere advice is buy a six pack of rebuilt and matched injectors from a Cummins truck shop, Ram dealer that specializes in trucks, or an authorized Boch drebuilder.

Last edited:
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I went through 3 sets of injectors in a previously owned 6 liter F350. Dealer used reman injectors the second go around which didn't't last 6 months. Said they weren't warrantied, so I took it to a shop who works on my trucks and they installed factory Ford injectors and traded it off at 185K still running great. Truck was under warranty when first set was replaced. This truck never had any of the head stud issues and was tuned with exhaust and larger Bully Dawg Intercooler. Haven't had a truck back to the dealer since. Current F350 had radio issue. Called the dealer who said known issue with no current fix. Contacted Ford Connect and they assisted me in a radio hard set and problem resolved. Local dealer is large and they sell lots of vehicles, but their service department blows.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A HPCR 5.9L?

There are vendors selling injectors, rebuilt injectors, and other exaggerated claims all over the US but I believe a shop must have expensive Bosch equipment to actually rebuild and balance a set of six injectors.

I know they are expensive but the engine can provide reliable service for another 200 - 300 k miles. My sincere advice is buy a six pack of rebuilt and matched injectors from a Cummins truck shop, Ram dealer that specializes in trucks, or an authorized Boch drebuilder.
My black ram has 60HP Industrial Injectors the red ram I just did has OE sized injectors direct. The injectors direct is a certified Bosch facility. Black ram is 03 the red ram is 06.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm at 108,000 on my Duramax 2017 2500 Silverado. Oil, tires, batteries, and shocks. Still all original and starts and runs perfect every day. My brother's Dodge with Cummins diesel lives in the shop. Glad I do Chevrolet.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm at 108,000 on my Duramax 2017 2500 Silverado. Oil, tires, batteries, and shocks. Still all original and starts and runs perfect every day. My brother's Dodge with Cummins diesel lives in the shop. Glad I do Chevrolet.
I work on GM everyday and you are a lucky owner. The L5P spends tons of time in our shop for injectors, glow plugs, and DEF issues.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The red ram is sold. The truck was traded to a local roofer that installed a metal roof onto our house. Based on other bids and conversations my wife and I had with other contractors we value the trade around $15.5k so it worked out really well.

• Love
Reactions: NTCPrezJB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!