First diesel purchase

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am making my first diesel purchase. I am a GM mechanic and not biased to any particular brand so I don't mind working and tinkering. I am seeking some suggestions on what to look for and see if anyone has any input on what I am currently looking at. Basically as a dealer we get trade ins alot but not all of them are good deals. This one in particular is a 2003 ram 5.9 cummins quad cab 4x4. 205k miles. Exterior is rust free. Interior has all the common dodge trim issues. Cracked dash, tore center console, electric seat clicks while trying to move ect.. It's a stock truck with mbrp exhaust and gooseneck ball. I checked for blow by from the oil full cap and I feel no air. Other than that if runs, drives, and shifts awesome. The price is my favorite part. Second favorite part is I do like the 5.9 cummins. We decided on a diesel after our trip to Michigan. Our 06 Sierra 2500 gas got 8.4mpg round trip with the pioneer on a single axle 12ft trailer. From MO to MI. I know the ram mpg may fluctuate but I drove it all week and did not change my driving habits. Currently the ram is at 22.1 and Sierra is usually 10.5 so I am already impressed. The long term goal is a toy hauler type trailer to go to Michigan once a year with 2 four wheelers, 1 pioneer and a sleeping quarters. I am open to all comments. Thank you in advance.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just wanted to point out that I chose to post here because I make the assumption that pioneer owners are cool enough to trailer their rides everywhere and would have good input :p

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
if its auto go with full synthetic amsoil in the tranny and add another trans cooler. my buddies 04.5 is a nice truck but man the transmission is definitely the weak point . not sure what all your hauling but he has a high trans temp all the time. granted hes running a mild tune and had the trans rebuilt 6 yrs ago. its starting to slip again now.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can't hardly go wrong with a hummin cummins ! But you can drop a boat load of cash fixing one up !
I have some things picked out. On my list are glowshift pod gauges, s and b CAI with dry filter, intake elbow, heater grid delete, fass lift pump, and then a twist style tuner.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if its auto go with full synthetic amsoil in the tranny and add another trans cooler. my buddies 04.5 is a nice truck but man the transmission is definitely the weak point . not sure what all your hauling but he has a high trans temp all the time. granted hes running a mild tune and had the trans rebuilt 6 yrs ago. its starting to slip again now.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
It is auto. The current transmission looks original but the fluid looks like new. I assume it either was flushed or maybe rebuilt. It shifts good with no slip currently. I agree the weak points in the dodges are transmissions.

Lilred500

Lilred500

Keep it on the rubber side
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
I have some things picked out. On my list are glowshift pod gauges, s and b CAI with dry filter, intake elbow, heater grid delete, fass lift pump, and then a twist style tuner.
Glow shifts are garbage they fail you’ll want the grid heater when it gets cold get some efi live tunes from hardway performance you’ll thank me later.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I am making my first diesel purchase. I am a GM mechanic and not biased to any particular brand so I don't mind working and tinkering. I am seeking some suggestions on what to look for and see if anyone has any input on what I am currently looking at. Basically as a dealer we get trade ins alot but not all of them are good deals. This one in particular is a 2003 ram 5.9 cummins quad cab 4x4. 205k miles. Exterior is rust free. Interior has all the common dodge trim issues. Cracked dash, tore center console, electric seat clicks while trying to move ect.. It's a stock truck with mbrp exhaust and gooseneck ball. I checked for blow by from the oil full cap and I feel no air. Other than that if runs, drives, and shifts awesome. The price is my favorite part. Second favorite part is I do like the 5.9 cummins. We decided on a diesel after our trip to Michigan. Our 06 Sierra 2500 gas got 8.4mpg round trip with the pioneer on a single axle 12ft trailer. From MO to MI. I know the ram mpg may fluctuate but I drove it all week and did not change my driving habits. Currently the ram is at 22.1 and Sierra is usually 10.5 so I am already impressed. The long term goal is a toy hauler type trailer to go to Michigan once a year with 2 four wheelers, 1 pioneer and a sleeping quarters. I am open to all comments. Thank you in advance.
I got my first diesel about a year ago. Its a 2010 6.7 cummins 2500 4x4 Dodge. It hauls our 33ft camper no problem, boat, trailer with sxs's, etc. Its always hauling something and its got plenty of power on tap. I also have a GMC 3500 4x4 dually with 454 gas engine. The 6.7 3/4 ton diesel out pulls the 1 ton gas truck easily. I love my cummins. That being said, Ive got a buddy that has an '04 Ford 1 ton 4 door with single rear wheels. Its got the 7.3 and I would say its more powerful than my 6.7 cummins. I will never tell him that though, because Im not a Ford fan, and I dont wanna give him a big head. Lol

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 6.7 Ram had the inlet air heater delete but it doesn't get real cold here. Never had a problem starting. To insure no trailer hitching type shifting from the trans., all my customers had the alternator output cable wrapped in aluminum foil. Electrical interference from this cable can affect the trans. module which is mounted on the firewall. Towing with a diesel is great, once it gets into lockup and overdrive it never downshifts till you slow down. There was a used car place close to my shop that had a dash overlay for those Rams. I think he charged 200.00 and it just glued on over the original.

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I got my first diesel about a year ago. Its a 2010 6.7 cummins 2500 4x4 Dodge. It hauls our 33ft camper no problem, boat, trailer with sxs's, etc. Its always hauling something and its got plenty of power on tap. I also have a GMC 3500 4x4 dually with 454 gas engine. The 6.7 3/4 ton diesel out pulls the 1 ton gas truck easily. I love my cummins. That being said, Ive got a buddy that has an '04 Ford 1 ton 4 door with single rear wheels. Its got the 7.3 and I would say its more powerful than my 6.7 cummins. I will never tell him that though, because Im not a Ford fan, and I dont wanna give him a big head. Lol
If it has a 7.3 it's an 03 1/2 or back model. The stock 7.3 will never be more powerful than a Ram 6.7.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I watched some YouTube videos on the intake flow of these trucks and in MO I felt comfortable deleting the grid and adding the intake elbow. I feel the pros to the grid delete are beneficial. End goal is an efi live with max hp at 150hp over stock. I have a local guy who is really good that has tuned my dad's truck and friends truck. He owns a shop specific for diesel and tunes many trucks. I have glowshift currently in my 2nd Gen ram gas for 2 years now and didn't have problems. I just had a pillar with transmission and vacuum.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 6.7 Ram had the inlet air heater delete but it doesn't get real cold here. Never had a problem starting. To insure no trailer hitching type shifting from the trans., all my customers had the alternator output cable wrapped in aluminum foil. Electrical interference from this cable can affect the trans. module which is mounted on the firewall. Towing with a diesel is great, once it gets into lockup and overdrive it never downshifts till you slow down. There was a used car place close to my shop that had a dash overlay for those Rams. I think he charged 200.00 and it just glued on over the original.
I saw the covers and am excited to try them. There is one really bad spot tho I am not sure it will cover. I will post a picture soon of it.

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I watched some YouTube videos on the intake flow of these trucks and in MO I felt comfortable deleting the grid and adding the intake elbow. I feel the pros to the grid delete are beneficial. End goal is an efi live with max hp at 150hp over stock. I have a local guy who is really good that has tuned my dad's truck and friends truck. He owns a shop specific for diesel and tunes many trucks. I have glowshift currently in my 2nd Gen ram gas for 2 years now and didn't have problems. I just had a pillar with transmission and vacuum.
My first 6.7 Cummins was deleted with a different raised roof intake plate, heater delete, intake elbow and bigger inner cooler pipe. The delete came with a Smarty Sr. programmer good up to 175 additional hp. On the 175 hp setting that thing would fly!
IMG 2066

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought and installed a dash over lay kit in my 98 cummings. It turned out great. Easy to install. Just make sure you have books or anchors to set on all points until glue sets up.

My 98 is still bone stock with 103 k miles. I think I will add the elbow and a tuner after Christmas. It's always been workhorse but I'd like to add a few more without cooking the manifold. I'm studying..
Have a diesel shop who has worked on the ac. They cant wait to get their hands on it...literally.
Local dealer offered me 16k on a trade in...

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My brother swears at and for Dodge Cummins 4x4s. Personally I have a 2017 Duramax that gets 22 mpg empty on the highway and 15 towing my toy hauler. Compared to my old 2004 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 with 8.1 gas that got 10.1 mpg if you had a stiff tailwind, I love the Duramax. I miss the gas engine, but at 262,000 miles it needed to stay home when I went to desolate places in the desert. Just getting too risky with the high miles. Sold it to a neighbor 3 years ago to haul his heavy equipment around town. You can count on the Allison transmission. My brother's transmission locked up solid at 2,200 miles from new. They said it was his driving habits that hurt the automatic. Right. Going to and from work in Lousiana where it never gets cold???? He had to get a lawyer involved to get it fixed under warranty. Then his engine lifters started rattling really loud. Turned out the pressure relief valve stuck. I thought Cummins diesels were bullet proof, but guess not. He has since sold the truck. Lived in the shop. I suggest getting a reliable truck..... BUY A CHEVY!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That’s cool, I thought 03’ was the last year for the 7.3. Pity ford couldn’t get that 7.3 emissions compliant...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!