First diesel purchase

F

fsk1290

Oct 30, 2020
Grant, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's just me but I'd never buy a truck that old. But I don't know your price point and it's none of my business.

I owned a 2003 Ford Excursion with the big 7.3 in it. Not a single issue other than the main seal needed replaced at 210k miles. Sure it was expensive but when that's the only thing that ever went wrong you can't be pissed about that. I sold it with 265k on it for 10,500 dollars. I kinda wish I would have kept it and restored it but.....

I then went back to gas and bought a year old (at the time) Ford F150 with eco-boost. Really great truck but I missed the power of my diesel.

Traded the F150 in on a 2017 F250 with 6.7 powerstroke. It's by far the strongest truck I've ever owned or driven. I did a MILD tune to it and it runs like a bat outta hell. It's crazy fast and I'm pretty sure it can pull anything I want.

I'm not here to bash a certain brand over another brand. Everyone has their horror stories. But I know tons of guys that have owned F250's their whole life and every single one of them loves them. I don't know a single one that has hated their Fords and switched to a Dodge or Chevy or whatever.

Reactions: Biteme
Jerrysxs

Jerrysxs

Dec 26, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am making my first diesel purchase. I am a GM mechanic and not biased to any particular brand so I don't mind working and tinkering. I am seeking some suggestions on what to look for and see if anyone has any input on what I am currently looking at. Basically as a dealer we get trade ins alot but not all of them are good deals. This one in particular is a 2003 ram 5.9 cummins quad cab 4x4. 205k miles. Exterior is rust free. Interior has all the common dodge trim issues. Cracked dash, tore center console, electric seat clicks while trying to move ect.. It's a stock truck with mbrp exhaust and gooseneck ball. I checked for blow by from the oil full cap and I feel no air. Other than that if runs, drives, and shifts awesome. The price is my favorite part. Second favorite part is I do like the 5.9 cummins. We decided on a diesel after our trip to Michigan. Our 06 Sierra 2500 gas got 8.4mpg round trip with the pioneer on a single axle 12ft trailer. From MO to MI. I know the ram mpg may fluctuate but I drove it all week and did not change my driving habits. Currently the ram is at 22.1 and Sierra is usually 10.5 so I am already impressed. The long term goal is a toy hauler type trailer to go to Michigan once a year with 2 four wheelers, 1 pioneer and a sleeping quarters. I am open to all comments. Thank you in advance.
I had a 2006 RAM diesel and it pulled anything I needed. 9-10 mpg with a load, 20-21 mpg empty. I currently have a GMC diesel and it is more powerful, but the technology has changed a lot over the years. This biggest difference is creature comforts. I loved my 06 and often miss it. Never gave me an ounce of trouble other than the normal dodge front end rebuild. I pulled a 14k lb boat that was almost 40 feet long back and forth to Florida and never lacked for power. I joked that the fasted I could pull the boat over the mountains in Jelico TN was 70 mph....no need to go any faster. I am getting 21 mpg with my 2018 GMC empty and around 10-11 pulling my 40 ft fifth wheel. I would not be afraid to step back into a RAM.

C

caozman

Jun 12, 2017
Hereford, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A touch off topic. I've got a 2018 Ecodiesel and can't say enough good things about it. Haul my 1000-5 all over the place and the truck doesn't even know it's back there. Also haul an RV and car hauler to car shows everywhere and the truck does fantastic. Average 18 mpg at 75 hauling cars. The 8 speed is a wonder box.

D

DDDonkey

I’ve had a couple Duramax trucks, and sold them when I got rid of the big fifth wheel. I now have a Dodge Durango and I hate towing with it even though it has the 5.7 L hemi in the eight speed automatic, it just sucks at towing. I think I average around 10 miles a gallon where my Duramax was I was getting 15 to 17. I’ll end up buying another diesel here in the next couple years, and to be honest I think they all make good engines you just need to equip the truck correctly. If I were to buy a Dodge I would definitely have to get the upgraded HD transmission over the standard one. I did love the Allison transmission’s that came with the Duramax, but I am unsure on the new 10 speed I want to give it a few years first and I would like to see if Dodge comes out with a 10 speed.

F

fsk1290

Oct 30, 2020
Grant, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve had a couple Duramax trucks, and sold them when I got rid of the big fifth wheel. I now have a Dodge Durango and I hate towing with it even though it has the 5.7 L hemi in the eight speed automatic, it just sucks at towing. I think I average around 10 miles a gallon where my Duramax was I was getting 15 to 17. I’ll end up buying another diesel here in the next couple years, and to be honest I think they all make good engines you just need to equip the truck correctly. If I were to buy a Dodge I would definitely have to get the upgraded HD transmission over the standard one. I did love the Allison transmission’s that came with the Duramax, but I am unsure on the new 10 speed I want to give it a few years first and I would like to see if Dodge comes out with a 10 speed.

The Ford 10 speed is awesome. Couple of my buddies have them....... they rave about them.

S

Sulli

Dec 12, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am making my first diesel purchase. I am a GM mechanic and not biased to any particular brand so I don't mind working and tinkering. I am seeking some suggestions on what to look for and see if anyone has any input on what I am currently looking at. Basically as a dealer we get trade ins alot but not all of them are good deals. This one in particular is a 2003 ram 5.9 cummins quad cab 4x4. 205k miles. Exterior is rust free. Interior has all the common dodge trim issues. Cracked dash, tore center console, electric seat clicks while trying to move ect.. It's a stock truck with mbrp exhaust and gooseneck ball. I checked for blow by from the oil full cap and I feel no air. Other than that if runs, drives, and shifts awesome. The price is my favorite part. Second favorite part is I do like the 5.9 cummins. We decided on a diesel after our trip to Michigan. Our 06 Sierra 2500 gas got 8.4mpg round trip with the pioneer on a single axle 12ft trailer. From MO to MI. I know the ram mpg may fluctuate but I drove it all week and did not change my driving habits. Currently the ram is at 22.1 and Sierra is usually 10.5 so I am already impressed. The long term goal is a toy hauler type trailer to go to Michigan once a year with 2 four wheelers, 1 pioneer and a sleeping quarters. I am open to all comments. Thank you in advance.
You have one of the most reliable pickup trucks ever made, I have had multiple 5.9 Cummins. My son currently drives an 2003 with 250,00 miles, I sold my 2006 dually 5.9 Cummins to my in-laws with just over 200,000 and I currently drive a 2012 6.7 Cummins with 191,000 miles. My truck is deleted and tuned, I drive it in performance mode every day but don't get on it very often. All three trucks are original engine and transmissions with very few problems. I also have a 2002 Excursion with a 7.3 has about 270,000 miles unfortunately not the original 7.3, blown head gasket. That way when I bought it and I didn't know until I towed with it. Could have been something previous owner did? Great truck since then. Anyway, I'm also an RV dealer and a retired Firefighter. Don't see many Duramax and Powerstrokes in fire engines. Also 95% of the RV transporters come down from Indiana to Florida where I am drive Ram Trucks with Cummins diesels. 95% !!! That number may be on the low side. Driver pulled in yesterday with 996,000 miles on his 2007 6.7 Cummins, original engine, transmission rebuilt at 750,000 and replaced A/C compressor. According to him that's it. They are hands down the best trucks for towing and longevity. Replace the dash, take care of it and run it, it will last you a long time.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's a massive difference between tractor chassis and truck chassis. fire trucks use a isx series Cummins. Light duty uses isb series and yes they did use 7.3 and 6.0 series in heavy duty applications they where all built by international. 7.3 = t444e and 6.0 = vt365 and the second series maxxforce. A tractor engine is usually worn out completely at 1 million miles there's no way a dodge pick up made it to 996,000 without major overhaul. I have no problem with dodge trucks, but there trans barely made it to 100,000 without going out and still to this day dodge trans are on back order for months because of failure. we are waiting on a few for our trucks had to call jasper and for go the warranty and just buy them ourselves. if where talking heavy duty give me a old detroit 60 or a detroit 8vf over any of these newer engines those things where tough.

Reactions: Biteme
advertisement
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have one of the most reliable pickup trucks ever made, I have had multiple 5.9 Cummins. My son currently drives an 2003 with 250,00 miles, I sold my 2006 dually 5.9 Cummins to my in-laws with just over 200,000 and I currently drive a 2012 6.7 Cummins with 191,000 miles. My truck is deleted and tuned, I drive it in performance mode every day but don't get on it very often. All three trucks are original engine and transmissions with very few problems. I also have a 2002 Excursion with a 7.3 has about 270,000 miles unfortunately not the original 7.3, blown head gasket. That way when I bought it and I didn't know until I towed with it. Could have been something previous owner did? Great truck since then. Anyway, I'm also an RV dealer and a retired Firefighter. Don't see many Duramax and Powerstrokes in fire engines. Also 95% of the RV transporters come down from Indiana to Florida where I am drive Ram Trucks with Cummins diesels. 95% !!! That number may be on the low side. Driver pulled in yesterday with 996,000 miles on his 2007 6.7 Cummins, original engine, transmission rebuilt at 750,000 and replaced A/C compressor. According to him that's it. They are hands down the best trucks for towing and longevity. Replace the dash, take care of it and run it, it will last you a long time.
That's cool! I am currently just waiting on my dealer/employer to give me a trade in number on my current Sierra. The neat part about working for the dealer is you can find good deals but customers come first when it comes to the paperwork side and that usually slows them down for the employees. I have been driving now daily for 2 weeks and I enjoy it alot.

Reactions: Biteme and TimG
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Im gonna pipe in here seems how this is going tits up a bit. Ive been diesel mech for the better part of my life. the company I work for is quickly changing over to complete gas mainly gm 6.0. due to high operating cost and durability with all diesel engines. From the 6bt to t444e & the huge pile of sh** vt365 and the complete line of isb Cummins engines best advise, just leave them alone they will last longer and be alot more durable stock with the admit of def delete just leave them be ! As for a low tolerance for stupid questions thats complete bs your in customer service selling a product there's gonna be stupid questions. there's gonna be people that don't understand thats why they are buying it from u. I go to the doc and ask stupid sh** all the time thats what I'm paying for answer my stupid sh** and move on !
969C9180 2398 4E14 8EEC 17650FF2AD0E

S

sargenthp

May 17, 2017
US
I see a bunch of fairy dust MPG numbers on here. Must be what the computer says and not hand calculated. I have had multiple Cummins and couple Duramax trucks. Pulling what you are talking about will probably get you the mid-teens, unless you are towing mostly in the flats and little to no wind.

The early Cummins like you are talking about will get a little better MPG because you won’t have the emissions BS, but they are geared higher so the RPM’s are spinning higher. But that is a million mile engine if it was taken care of.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I see a bunch of fairy dust MPG numbers on here. Must be what the computer says and not hand calculated. I have had multiple Cummins and couple Duramax trucks. Pulling what you are talking about will probably get you the mid-teens, unless you are towing mostly in the flats and little to no wind.

The early Cummins like you are talking about will get a little better MPG because you won’t have the emissions BS, but they are geared higher so the RPM’s are spinning higher. But that is a million mile engine if it was taken care of.
Unless I really pay attention to it, and keep my foot out of it, I can’t do better than 15 with either my ford or dodge 6.7’s. Towing and it’s 10-11.....

Reactions: TimG and HondaRed16
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!