First diesel purchase

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a Cummins once... It was a 2013 and the biggest POS I've ever had. Left me on the side of the road more than a dozen times. The last straw was when it ingested a grid heater bolt and needed a new engine. I now own a 6.7 PS F450 and love it. Get's about 10mpg grossing just shy of 27k.

F

fsk1290

Oct 30, 2020
Grant, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nah. They are now pretty solid for the masses. Had I thought the machine wasn’t better then the early fixable issues I wouldn’t have bought a third.But it sure pissed me off in the beginning when Honda denied these issues and had the audacity to call me up and tell me I was at fault and to s*** up on the site about it. Lmao I’ll say good or bad about something even if it’s mine. But they did finally take care of these along with a few other things. No real worries go out there and ride.

Awesome. Thanks for your help sir.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The def delete done right normally doesn't cause any problems on gm and Ford. If I personally bought a diesel I wouldn't touch anything. But I see the damage they do all the time. I was headed to my buddies shop to get a pic of what happens to a 18 duramax with a tune made a thousand miles away . Cracked 2 pistons and bent the valves how this happened nobody knows. But I got called out to work so he's gonna have to set the cab back down himself

Reactions: Biteme
F

fsk1290

Oct 30, 2020
Grant, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The def delete done right normally doesn't cause any problems on gm and Ford. If I personally bought a diesel I wouldn't touch anything. But I see the damage they do all the time. I was headed to my buddies shop to get a pic of what happens to a 18 duramax with a tune made a thousand miles away . Cracked 2 pistons and bent the valves how this happened nobody knows. But I got called out to work so he's gonna have to set the cab back down himself

I got a 17 F250 6.7....... all my reading people say to delete delete delete. I'm over here like "my truck runs great, it's fast as hell and it's beautiful". I'm too scared to delete.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On mpg people to tend to exacerbate how much they get. a guy i ride with swore his ecobooste would out pull me and get better mpg, he dam sure didn't out run me and we got the same 11.5 mpg. major difference my trail boss sounds like America when it starts up, his sounds like a old lady farting under the blankets.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
One was the water intake issue, back then driving around behind your kids on dirt bikes around puddles was a no go. Hydrolocked the engine after it sucked up a gallon of water from the lower intake tract. They had issue of bringing small amounts of water from the tires on puddles till it filled up the tube and inhaled everything at once. Honda has updated.
The second machine had massive clutch issues from day one, was in and out of that transmission over a dozen times. It finally died from ingesting dirt into the cylinder through a loose intake hose from the assembly line. Both these issues Honda has since addressed. Still in a ‘16 with with both factory and aftermarket upgrades, it’s doing well when it stays on on the tires lol There were other mishaps but all mine were able to be repaired.
Btw, do you know why there’s a preheat on my Dodge and not my Ford?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The Ford has glow plugs and Cummins uses a grid heater. They both will preheat depending upon temperature. The Ford is very quick and you'll miss it if your not looking for it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Oh ok, I was just curious...Thanks.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I filled up this morning and I had over 300 miles on it and averaged 17.94. The overhead was reset almost 500 miles ago and it claims 21.5 :/ that is a big difference.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If it’s really cold there will be more delay to the Ford start it’ll be more noticeable.
I’m going to pay attention to that next time it’s real cold. So far, I hadn’t noticed it. On the Dodge, if it’s just mildly cold, say 40, I’ll push start and a message arrives- preheat in process- with a timer counting down from 20 seconds...

Reactions: TimG
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’m going to pay attention to that next time it’s real cold. So far, I hadn’t noticed it. On the Dodge, if it’s just mildly cold, say 40, I’ll push start and a message arrives- preheat in process- with a timer counting down from 20 seconds...
The newer Ford system is fast. It’s easier to get direct heat into the cylinder with glow plugs. But the Cummins grid heater is far more problem free.

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The newer Ford system is fast. It’s easier to get direct heat into the cylinder with glow plugs. But the Cummins grid heater is far more problem free.
Each system has it's pros and cons but I wouldn't go as far to say the grid heater is far more problem free than glow plugs, definitely not more efficient. The Cummins grid heater pulls 200A. That is brutal on an electrical system and batteries in the dead of winter when it's needed the most. The grid heater in my 2013 Ram failed and destroyed the engine. It melted the stud off the inside of the heater and the remaining part of the stud found it's resting place on the top of a piston.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
In my Super Duty, I turn on the ignition, the seat moves to my driving position, I buckle my seat belt and by then the GP's are on line and I start it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Each system has it's pros and cons but I wouldn't go as far to say the grid heater is far more problem free than glow plugs, definitely not more efficient. The Cummins grid heater pulls 200A. That is brutal on an electrical system and batteries in the dead of winter when it's needed the most. The grid heater in my 2013 Ram failed and destroyed the engine. It melted the stud off the inside of the heater and the remaining part of the stud found it's resting place on the top of a piston.

I’d take a grid heater over glow plugs any day. Much less to go wrong, glow plugs aren’t exactly known for dependability. It’s a no brainer.

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d take a grid heater over glow plugs any day. It’s a no brainer
So would I until it cost me 10k. At least I have a cool paperweight now. Maybe I'll change my thinking again if my Powerstroke ever eats a glow plug tip and cost me an engine.

Edit: CP out of curiosity and honest question. Why do you not like glow plugs? A58a96d595f1acd4228fd6b640c6eaf8

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So would I until it cost me 10k. At least I have a cool paperweight now. Maybe I'll change my thinking again if my Powerstroke ever eats a glow plug tip and cost me an engine.

Edit: CP out of curiosity and honest question. Why do you not like glow plugs?View attachment 236268

FAR less instances of a grid heater issue. I’ve never known anyone to have an issue much less have to change one out. Glow plus are recommended every 100k, I’ve got 400k,375k,,265k,260k,250k respectively all around 30yrs old with original equipment. Those are what I currently own but have owned many others, family and friends have owned a ton more again without even changing one out. Nearly everyone I know in a slightly older Ford has had to dick with the damn things.
Just changing a glow plug out can be a serious problem, usually seized in, sometimes just taking one out can break apart and fall into the engine. Powerstroke and Duramax both have very common catastrophic issues with them.
I like s*** that lasts. That’s why I buy what I buy. For me the glowplug vs. grid heater is like the inline-6 vs. v8 conversation, yes either can have a problem but one has drastically more at more repair cost.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
FAR less instances of a grid heater issue. I’ve never known anyone to have an issue much less have to change one out. Glow plus are recommended every 100k, I’ve got 400k,375k,,265k,260k,250k respectively all around 30yrs old with original equipment. Those are what I own but have owned many others, family have owned a ton again without even changing one out.
Just changing a glow plug out can be a serious problem, usually seized in, sometimes just taking one out can break apart and fall into the engine. Powerstroke and Duramax both have very common catastrophic issues with them.
I like s*** that lasts. That’s why I buy what I buy. For me the glowplug vs. grid heater is like the inline-6 vs. v8 conversation, yes either can have a problem but one has drastically more at more repair cost.
No comment, I have been told I'm unqualified to discuss diesel engines.🙃

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!