First diesel purchase

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My brother swears at and for Dodge Cummins 4x4s. Personally I have a 2017 Duramax that gets 22 mpg empty on the highway and 15 towing my toy hauler. Compared to my old 2004 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 with 8.1 gas that got 10.1 mpg if you had a stiff tailwind, I love the Duramax. I miss the gas engine, but at 262,000 miles it needed to stay home when I went to desolate places in the desert. Just getting too risky with the high miles. Sold it to a neighbor 3 years ago to haul his heavy equipment around town. You can count on the Allison transmission. My brother's transmission locked up solid at 2,200 miles from new. They said it was his driving habits that hurt the automatic. Right. Going to and from work in Lousiana where it never gets cold???? He had to get a lawyer involved to get it fixed under warranty. Then his engine lifters started rattling really loud. Turned out the pressure relief valve stuck. I thought Cummins diesels were bullet proof, but guess not. He has since sold the truck. Lived in the shop. I suggest getting a reliable truck..... BUY A CHEVY!
That's crazy. I currently have a Sierra 2500 6.0 with 258k miles. It drives great but my wife and I have property in Michigan where we plan to visit each year and we made our first trip a couple months ago and it got 8.4mpg round trip pulling a 1000-5 pioneer on a 12ft flat trailer. We decided on the way home it was time for an investment into a diesel for fuel mileage. We have future plans for a toy hauler trailer for our trips. We think we can pull easier with better fuel mileage using a diesel. Mileage doesn't really scare me. A used car is a used car. I don't mind work as long as the vehicle was a good deal. I may start some stuff with this statement but, I want a duramax, I need a cummins. To me personally the cummins is easier and cheaper to work on than a duramax. I do like the comfort and pull of a duramax tho. They are fun and fast.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Efi Live is a joke. best tunner is the MM3 or smarty.
get better fuel filtration on it asap.
the stock air filter flow more than enought air for well above 600 hp. and filters better than any aftermarket one.
if you want it to LAST, leave it as close to stock as you can. when you tune them and start messing with them, they won't last.
i have over 800K on my trucks. one i tuned by me, it's far better then the 3 Efi Live tunes i got. everyone said get these tunes. get those tunes. anarchy wasn't worth a damn, SMA was even worse, PDD was 1/2 way ok.
again. leave it alone. if youre gonna build it, at minimum get a shift kit in the trans.
If you need injectors don't buy remans, get BBi, best in the business.
ive had 4 cummins powered trucks. currenty down to 2, all are still on the road because they are very close to stock!!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
the stock air filter flow more than enought air for well above 600 hp. and filters better than any aftermarket one.
if you want it to LAST, leave it as close to stock as you can. when you tune them and start messing with them, they won't last.
i have over 800K on my trucks. one i tuned by me, it's far better then the 3 Efi Live tunes i got. everyone said get these tunes. get those tunes. anarchy wasn't worth a damn, SMA was even worse, PDD was 1/2 way ok.
again. leave it alone. if youre gonna build it, at minimum get a shift kit in the trans.
ive had 4 cummins powered trucks. currenty down to 2, all are still on the road because they are very close to stock!!!!
Cool, glad I don’t have to do anything to mine....👍

Reactions: Biteme
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My brother swears at and for Dodge Cummins 4x4s. Personally I have a 2017 Duramax that gets 22 mpg empty on the highway and 15 towing my toy hauler. Compared to my old 2004 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 with 8.1 gas that got 10.1 mpg if you had a stiff tailwind, I love the Duramax. I miss the gas engine, but at 262,000 miles it needed to stay home when I went to desolate places in the desert. Just getting too risky with the high miles. Sold it to a neighbor 3 years ago to haul his heavy equipment around town. You can count on the Allison transmission. My brother's transmission locked up solid at 2,200 miles from new. They said it was his driving habits that hurt the automatic. Right. Going to and from work in Lousiana where it never gets cold???? He had to get a lawyer involved to get it fixed under warranty. Then his engine lifters started rattling really loud. Turned out the pressure relief valve stuck. I thought Cummins diesels were bullet proof, but guess not. He has since sold the truck. Lived in the shop. I suggest getting a reliable truck..... BUY A CHEVY!
When you say buy a Chevy truck you obviously haven't ever worked on one.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bosch remans are the only injectors I ever installed. Never a problem. I will never own a truck with 800,000 miles on it.

Reactions: Biteme and Mudwing
D

DDDonkey

@Killer223

Why do you say EFI Live is a joke? I had 5 EFI Live tunes on one of my diesel trucks and it was great! I think that you are miss understanding what EFI Live is (I have no affiliation with the company). EFI Live is the tuning program to allow you to make changes to the vehicle ECM, TCM, etc, it is the same as HP Tuners just a different brand. If you had a bad EFI Live tune, that would be on the tuner (person who wrote the file) not the product.

You are correct on leaving stuff stock or close too if you want it to last longer, but there are some product out the that help longevity as you said, like filtration.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
@Killer223

Why do you say EFI Live is a joke? I had 5 EFI Live tunes on one of my diesel trucks and it was great! I think that you are miss understanding what EFI Live is (I have no affiliation with the company). EFI Live is the tuning program to allow you to make changes to the vehicle ECM, TCM, etc, it is the same as HP Tuners just a different brand. If you had a bad EFI Live tune, that would be on the tuner (person who wrote the file) not the product.

You are correct on leaving stuff stock or close too if you want it to last longer, but there are some product out the that help longevity as you said, like filtration.
After the junk tunes form the best in the business tune writers, i delved into the tuning world, and i learned EFI, Warp and UDCPro, the tunability options in in the warp and UDC is far and above what efi gives you. i learned about wiring calc tables for timing and tables for all the fueling.
so when i say efi is a joke. i speak from experience as a tuner.
Very few actually offer custom tuning. it's sold as a custom tune, but they won't change their tune for your desired needs. the majority of them have a 1-3 size fits all.

i asked for easy changes too, like the AC head pressure where the fan clutch starts to lock up. i wanted it lowered to 300 not the stock 400. better AC cooling. i wanted the temp for grid heater changed, there is no real need to have them kick on until 32F and they don't need to stay on for 30 seconds, i wanted them to stay off till 15F and only on for 10 seconds. the VGT on my 08, i wanted the brake to be at 99% stock is only 70%, i wanted the temps changed when it would kick on and for how long.
i wanted the RPM changed for the manual high idle. down to 900 up to 2800.
my current tune only has 5% more fuelling at a certain rpm point above 2500 rpm, yet most would not beleive it's stock injectors, all from changing the timing of the events. and allowable boot levels.

I digress.

Reactions: Biteme and DDDonkey
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I’m really happy with my 2018 Ford with the 6.7
And my 2020 dodge with its 6.7
Wow Monty, when I thought all hope was lost for you saved yourself with your 6.7 Power Stroke remark. I was beginning I was the only one has a 6.7 PS

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing
D

DDDonkey

After the junk tunes form the best in the business tune writers, i delved into the tuning world, and i learned EFI, Warp and UDCPro, the tunability options in in the warp and UDC is far and above what efi gives you. i learned about wiring calc tables for timing and tables for all the fueling.
so when i say efi is a joke. i speak from experience as a tuner.
Very few actually offer custom tuning. it's sold as a custom tune, but they won't change their tune for your desired needs. the majority of them have a 1-3 size fits all.

i asked for easy changes too, like the AC head pressure where the fan clutch starts to lock up. i wanted it lowered to 300 not the stock 400. better AC cooling. i wanted the temp for grid heater changed, there is no real need to have them kick on until 32F and they don't need to stay on for 30 seconds, i wanted them to stay off till 15F and only on for 10 seconds. the VGT on my 08, i wanted the brake to be at 99% stock is only 70%, i wanted the temps changed when it would kick on and for how long.
i wanted the RPM changed for the manual high idle. down to 900 up to 2800.
my current tune only has 5% more fuelling at a certain rpm point above 2500 rpm, yet most would not beleive it's stock injectors, all from changing the timing of the events. and allowable boot levels.

I digress.

Thank you for explaining, I think that this is a much better answer than just saying the "tunes" are junk. I will agree with you that most "tuners" just resell the same tune with minor to no tweaks in it for the most part.

advertisement
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When you say buy a Chevy truck you obviously haven't ever worked on one.
Sure I have. My 1982 4x4 with a 6.2. Finally sold it with 300,000 miles and a 2005 with the 6.5. It had 3 owners that burnt up turbos. Found exit line on turbo plugged solid. Can't believe dealer didn't see it. Turbo leaked all the time. I got about 200,000 miles on it before a friend of mine had to have it. He's still running it, 3 years later. I now have a 2017 I ordered new with 52,000 trouble-free miles. Love it going thru mountains pulling the toy hauler with toy inside (P1000-3eps). Best part is the 15.8 mpg doing it If you ever get to Death Valley, on the West side is a hell of a climb. I see Dodge Cummins overheating every time we go. Don't have the guts the Duramax has. I know because I have to pass them on the way up.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Wow Monty, when I thought all hope was lost for you saved yourself with your 6.7 Power Stroke remark. I was beginning I was the only one has a 6.7 PS
🤣 Ha, there’s probably a million people with them.

G

greenacresnorth

Nov 1, 2020
Morganton Nc
Ownership

1. 1000-3

im not gonna sit here and argue with you but there are some massively miss informed opinions in this statement. coming from someone that has spent the last 20 years in the diesel industry designing and engineering the software and hardware that you so haphazardly call junk......... I can tell you with utmost certainty that you where probably a winey nagging dick to your tuner and that's why they gave you the cold shoulder, not that they couldn't do it. and FYI Mr Phil from Anarchy Diesel is a very dear friend whom I know for a fact has a very low tolerance for stupid requests and complaints that either hold no merit or you refuse to send him a log file. on top of this, how in gods name could you ever claim Smarty UDC or H&S MCC is the best???? I mean if you like pissing into a head wind in the dark with skidoo mits on, then i guess you right!!! but the lack of data logging and limited timing/DA/fuel trim tables say other wise!!!

I guess in a world of dolts there is always the one guy who has seen it all and done it all and impresses people trying to learn with exotic claims and dreamt up knowledge of all the right thing that exist.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
im not gonna sit here and argue with you but there are some massively miss informed opinions in this statement. coming from someone that has spent the last 20 years in the diesel industry designing and engineering the software and hardware that you so haphazardly call junk......... I can tell you with utmost certainty that you where probably a winey nagging dick to your tuner and that's why they gave you the cold shoulder, not that they couldn't do it. and FYI Mr Phil from Anarchy Diesel is a very dear friend whom I know for a fact has a very low tolerance for stupid requests and complaints that either hold no merit or you refuse to send him a log file. on top of this, how in gods name could you ever claim Smarty UDC or H&S MCC is the best???? I mean if you like pissing into a head wind in the dark with skidoo mits on, then i guess you right!!! but the lack of data logging and limited timing/DA/fuel trim tables say other wise!!!

I guess in a world of dolts there is always the one guy who has seen it all and done it all and impresses people trying to learn with exotic claims and dreamt up knowledge of all the right thing that exist.

Actually i sent him several logs. trying to find out an issue. and even video of my truck puffin white smoke going down long hill. only on his tune. the pos couldnt even respond to emails. basically said the tune is what it is. i told him it wasn't working correctly. he could careless. so yeah maybe i was a nagging dick, i wanted what i was promised and what i paid for. as he advertised it, custom tuning. should have done a charge back on my CC and posted the video evidence of his s*** tunes. i could careless if he's your dear friend or not. i know that he was unwilling to work with me after he got paid. and there was nothing custom about his tuning. he then changed the advertising to exclude the words custom tuning. i called him out on the CF also. and every single other forum. i spoke the truth. and will continue to do so. I hope I cost him money in lost sales. And i'm ok with that.
And read again, i never said H&S MCC was the best. show me, quote me where i stated that... please...
whatever. Dilligaf?
The tuning ability i've learned and have been able to write for myself is far better then anything Phil ever sent me.

As for me being a know it all. Far form it i have a lot ot learn and am willing to learn everyday. But my background in Mechanical and electrical engineering has sure helped me in this instance and life.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im gonna pipe in here seems how this is going tits up a bit. Ive been diesel mech for the better part of my life. the company I work for is quickly changing over to complete gas mainly gm 6.0. due to high operating cost and durability with all diesel engines. From the 6bt to t444e & the huge pile of sh** vt365 and the complete line of isb Cummins engines best advise, just leave them alone they will last longer and be alot more durable stock with the admit of def delete just leave them be ! As for a low tolerance for stupid questions thats complete bs your in customer service selling a product there's gonna be stupid questions. there's gonna be people that don't understand thats why they are buying it from u. I go to the doc and ask stupid sh** all the time thats what I'm paying for answer my stupid sh** and move on !

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Im gonna pipe in here seems how this is going tits up a bit. Ive been diesel mech for the better part of my life. the company I work for is quickly changing over to complete gas mainly gm 6.0. due to high operating cost and durability with all diesel engines. From the 6bt to t444e & the huge pile of sh** vt365 and the complete line of isb Cummins engines best advise, just leave them alone they will last longer and be alot more durable stock with the admit of def delete just leave them be ! As for a low tolerance for stupid questions thats complete bs your in customer service selling a product there's gonna be stupid questions. there's gonna be people that don't understand thats why they are buying it from u. I go to the doc and ask stupid sh** all the time thats what I'm paying for answer my stupid sh** and move on !
Good to know I don’t need to do anything to mine....👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber32
E

Englewoodcowboy

Nov 26, 2017
Ceres, VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own

3. Other Brand
Not a bad aquisition. As you mentioned the parts that need to be addressed while not terribly expensive individually they do add up. Being you are a mechanic delegating your time to work on your personal stuff is the hard part. Have fun and make it yours. Its a great platform. I myself recently bought a 17 F250 diesel to replace my 02 F250. My old truck was in great overall shape but the winter salt was requiring some body work. Since I restore vehicles for a living I wanted to rebuild it however my time is consumed by my customers and wanting to do more of my everyday work for myself I had to face the reality that it would be the first item to get sidelined for a customer and I simply couldn't afford to be without a truck for months on end possibly so I bit the bulled and upgraded to an alumaduty so I can hopefully not have to worry about that kind of corrosion any time soon.

B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I had a 2012 Chevy Silverado dually with a crew cab, duramax with an Allison transmission which ran great and I used it to pull my 35ft 5th wheel. When I sold the trailer I got rid of the truck and bought a Toyota tundra with a v8 gas engine to haul my SXS on an aluminum flatbed trailer. I bought the aluminum trailer to keep the weight down. Twice the cost for half the weight. The Tundra pulling this lightweight trailer with the SXS is still frustrating with all the downshifting and engine revving. A lot of the time I disable the cruise control so that I can control things a bit better. I never had to do this with the diesel and the huge 5th wheel. I wish I wouldn't have sold the diesel even though it was a pretty stiff ride.

Anyway, I chose the Chevy because of the Allison transmission. I think all chevy, ford, dodge have the diesel engine technology working well but Dodge loses my vote when it came to poor transmissions. I liked Ford but also they were a lot more expensive than the Chevy when I purchased. If I buy another diesel, which I plan to, it will be a ford or chevy...or if toyota or mercedes start selling trucks here I will look at them also.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!