First diesel purchase

S

sargenthp

May 17, 2017
US
Unless I really pay attention to it, and keep my foot out of it, I can’t do better than 15 with either my ford or dodge 6.7’s. Towing and it’s 10-11.....

Not towing... Sure! I usually get upper teens and occasionally lower 20’s on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Biteme
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Not towing... Sure! I usually get upper teens and occasionally lower 20’s on the road.

Yes, I can do that if I make the effort watching that damn thing in the dash lol. But if I just drive normal and don’t pay attention, it’s 15 for me.

Reactions: TimG and sargenthp
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Right! That right pedal is addictive!!

But in fairness, the 2500 6.0 gasser that I traded in on my ford 6.7 did no better, and worse when towing...🤷‍♂️

Reactions: TimG
S

sargenthp

May 17, 2017
US
I made the mistake of trying a gaser. I went from my ‘07.5 6.7 Cummins Megacab to a damn ‘14 Ram 2500 Crew 6.4L Hemi that people raved about saying it was a diesel killer. When I got just over 4 on a trip with my empty tow hauler camper, and it struggled on ant hills... It was gone! The best MPG that I could get from the 6.4L empty was 12.8 MPG. Otherwise it was 10-11 MPG empty.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So are you saying yes on DEF delete or no leave that alone as well?
I agree with everything you’re saying,
A couple things on here I’ve heard just aren’t quite what I believe. First of all is the “no tune” for durability, engines aren’t actually factory tuned for optimal power nor longevity. They are tuned for emissions which sometimes starves the engine of what it needs to be happy. The second thing I heard were all diesels are more expensive to run then gas engines, might be true with some but NOT ALL. Especially if keeping long term or concerned about resale value. Not going brand specific here but I’ve absolutely seen and experienced the opposite to be true, and I don’t baby equipment nor do I maintain stuff well. Once on the road I’ll just drive it.
If I were to buy a newer truck I’d throw a conservative tune on it and the day it fell of warranty there would be a def delete done. Period. Both mileage, longevity would go up, maintenance down, and as a bonus a little added power. That’s what I would do (for off road purposes only is what the lawyers tell me lol)

Last edited:
F

fsk1290

Oct 30, 2020
Grant, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A couple things on here I’ve heard just aren’t quite what I believe. First of all is the “no tune” for durability, engines aren’t actually factory tuned for optimal power nor longevity. They are tuned for emissions which sometimes starves the engine of what it needs to be happy. The second thing I heard were all diesels are more expensive to run then gas engines, might be true with some but NOT ALL. Especially if keeping long term or concerned about resale value. Not going brand specific here but I’ve absolutely seen and experienced the opposite to be true, and I don’t baby equipment nor do I maintain stuff well. Once on the road I’ll just drive it.
If I were to buy a newer truck I’d throw a conservative tune on it and the day it fell of warranty there would be a def delete done. Period. Both mileage, longevity would go up, maintenance down, and as a bonus a little added power. That’s what I would do (for off road purposes only is what the lawyers tell me lol)

Looking at the sig line......... how did you kill two 2016 Pioneers??

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im gonna pipe in here seems how this is going tits up a bit. Ive been diesel mech for the better part of my life. the company I work for is quickly changing over to complete gas mainly gm 6.0. due to high operating cost and durability with all diesel engines. From the 6bt to t444e & the huge pile of sh** vt365 and the complete line of isb Cummins engines best advise, just leave them alone they will last longer and be alot more durable stock with the admit of def delete just leave them be ! As for a low tolerance for stupid questions thats complete bs your in customer service selling a product there's gonna be stupid questions. there's gonna be people that don't understand thats why they are buying it from u. I go to the doc and ask stupid sh** all the time thats what I'm paying for answer my stupid sh** and move on !

Well I can respond with good authority to part of your response; I'm mature and have owned them all and have been exclusive diesel for over 40 years on my personal vehicles.
If you're going for fuel mileage and operating cost diesel is cheaper once you own the vehicle; the engine is a $10-$15K upgrade if you drive a lot or have for more than 100K miles and do a lot of towing at the very least it's a wash as to overall cost. If you tow heavy weight and climb mountains like we do here in AZ the additional power is always a plus but not always needed (if you don't mind going slow up-hill or being passed LOL). What is needed in almost all cases (but many will disagree) is a 3/4 ton tow vehicle, this is more about suspension, stopping power, weight distribution, etc.
If you don't own or keep it way over 100K miles gas is cheaper overall but slower with less power, for guys it's always about the power LOL.

As to tuners, exhaust, etc. I've also tried them all.
I agree with you as to the factory tune being mild for emissions and leaves a lot to be desired.
If you don't tune more than an additional 100 HP it's awesome, if you go more than that you start slipping the transmission and stretching head bolts. If you drive it exactly the same as before the tune you will see slightly better fuel mileage...the thing is for most guys additional horsepower and fuel mileage don't go together we just seem to need to show off and hit the pedal harder because we can and its there!
So with that said adding a tuner usually results in additional mods or expensive repairs as a result.
They absolutely throw off the dash readings or show way better fuel mileage than real world, if you hand calculate you know it's all smoke & mirrors but we want to believe the dash so that's what we tell everybody. I hand calculate and compare the two with every single fuel fill.

My question about the DEF which my 2013 RAM has now is I've read there is no real advantage to power increase or fuel mileage by deleting but that it can save you $$$ on up-keep and maintenance. As it is now I'm getting a code that my turbo controller is bad which equals loss of power, I'm told that the DEF systems gums up the turbo vanes and the inside of the intake parts of the engine, of course up to 2012 you could change just to control module but not on the newer rigs you have to change the complete turbo kid which I've been quoted $5K, I'm stressed!
I was hoping the DEF delete might cure the issue or at least keeping it from happening again.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good info CP. there’s no end to the things that we can find to argue about 🤣🤣🤣

I know nothing of the topic accept that I’m loving both my Ford and Dodge diesels over the gassers that I’ve had...😎

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well I can respond with good authority to part of your response; I'm mature and have owned them all and have been exclusive diesel for over 40 years on my personal vehicles.
If you're going for fuel mileage and operating cost diesel is cheaper once you own the vehicle; the engine is a $10-$15K upgrade if you drive a lot or have for more than 100K miles and do a lot of towing at the very least it's a wash as to overall cost. If you tow heavy weight and climb mountains like we do here in AZ the additional power is always a plus but not always needed (if you don't mind going slow up-hill or being passed LOL). What is needed in almost all cases (but many will disagree) is a 3/4 ton tow vehicle, this is more about suspension, stopping power, weight distribution, etc.
If you don't own or keep it way over 100K miles gas is cheaper overall but slower with less power, for guys it's always about the power LOL.

I agree with you as to the factory tune being mild for emissions and leaves a lot to be desired.
If you don't tune more than an additional 100 HP it's awesome, if you go more than that you start slipping the transmission and stretching head bolts. If you drive it exactly the same as before the tune you will see slightly better fuel mileage...the thing is for most guys additional horsepower and fuel mileage don't go together we just seem to need to show off and hit the pedal harder because we can and its there!
So with that said adding a tuner usually results in additional mods or expensive repairs as a result.
They absolutely throw off the dash readings or show way better fuel mileage than real world, if you hand calculate you know it's all smoke & mirrors but we want to believe the dash so that's what we tell everybody. I hand calculate and compare the two with every single fuel fill.

My question about the DEF which my 2013 RAM has now is I've read there is no real advantage to power increase or fuel mileage by deleting but that it can save you $$$ on up-keep and maintenance. As it is now I'm getting a code that my turbo controller is bad which equals loss of power, I'm told that the DEF systems gums up the turbo vanes and the inside of the intake parts of the engine, of course up to 2012 you could change just to control module but not on the newer rigs you have to change the complete turbo kid which I've been quoted $5K, I'm stressed!
I was hoping the DEF delete might cure the issue or at least keeping it from happening again.
Ya I mentioned cost as a long term thing. With more dependability it’s mainly seen as miles rack up, and that goes for resale as well.
And I ALWAYS hand calculate all my diesels, I don’t have that little digital reading lol. All mechanical here
Without def the truck doesn’t spray fuel into the exhaust so it’s got to get some improvement on fuel economy. Most I’ve talked to get substantial. Again like you mentioned if you drive the same it’s a positive, if you crank it up and use all the additional power it’s a negative

Reactions: Biteme and TimG
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Looking at the sig line......... how did you kill two 2016 Pioneers??
One was the water intake issue, back then driving around behind your kids on dirt bikes around puddles was a no go. Hydrolocked the engine after it sucked up a gallon of water from the lower intake tract. They had issue of bringing small amounts of water from the tires on puddles till it filled up the tube and inhaled everything at once. Honda has updated.
The second machine had massive clutch issues from day one, was in and out of that transmission over a dozen times. It finally died from ingesting dirt into the cylinder through a loose intake hose from the assembly line. Both these issues Honda has since addressed. Still in a ‘16 with with both factory and aftermarket upgrades, it’s doing well when it stays on on the tires lol There were other mishaps but all mine were able to be repaired.

Last edited:
F

fsk1290

Oct 30, 2020
Grant, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One was the water intake issue, back then driving around behind your kids on dirt bikes around puddles was a no go. Hydrolocked the engine after it sucked up a gallon of water from the lower intake tract. They had issue of bringing small amounts of water from the tires on puddles till it filled up the tube and inhaled everything at once. Honda has updated.
The second machine had massive clutch issues from day one, was in and out of that transmission over a dozen times. It finally died from ingesting dirt into the cylinder through a loose intake hose from the assembly line. Both these issues Honda has since addressed. Still in a ‘16 with with both factory and aftermarket upgrades, it’s doing well when it stays on on the tires lol

Well dang. I just bought a brand new 2021 and installed the snorkel of course. Are there any other things I should worry about or has Honda fixed everything ??

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I am not sure about Def on the ram but on the gm the Def is in the exhaust post turbo. So I would assume a gm would not gum up a turbo. I have a belief that dpf and def is a joke. For the most part dpf just let's you regen at a later time and burn it all out into the atmosphere anyways and def is just an additional chemical being emitted and the known causes of def aren't really sure yet. I have not refilled the truck I am looking at yet so I haven't had the chance to calculate mileage. When I started driving it had maybe 3/8 of a tank. I think I put 170 miles on it and filled it up. I hit 287 miles on it this morning and it finally hit half a tank. My readout says 21.6 so far. I plan on calculating it tomorrow when I fill up. I have only driven empty and my route is approximately 15 miles of highway at 60 and 4 miles of in town with potentially 8 stoplights averaging 40

Reactions: Biteme and TimG

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!