First diesel purchase

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FAR less instances of a grid heater issue. I’ve never known anyone to have an issue much less have to change one out. Glow plus are recommended every 100k, I’ve got 400k,375k,,265k,260k,250k respectively all around 30yrs old with original equipment. Those are what I currently own but have owned many others, family and friends have owned a ton more again without even changing one out. Nearly everyone I know in a slightly older Ford has had to dick with the damn things.
Just changing a glow plug out can be a serious problem, usually seized in, sometimes just taking one out can break apart and fall into the engine. Powerstroke and Duramax both have very common catastrophic issues with them.
I like s*** that lasts. That’s why I buy what I buy. For me the glowplug vs. grid heater is like the inline-6 vs. v8 conversation, yes either can have a problem but one has drastically more at more repair cost.
Thanks and I agree with you anything can and will fail and generally the less parts involved the better. I know you are very familiar with the 12v stuff and they are simple and robust no doubt. The 13+ 6.7 Cummins grid heater is very different from the old stuff and it's a terrible design, with many catastrophic failures. It got nicknamed the KDP of the 6.7 on Cumminsforum.

Btw I would love to get up your way sometime and do some riding! It looks beautiful up there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The newer Ford system is fast. It’s easier to get direct heat into the cylinder with glow plugs. But the Cummins grid heater is far more problem free.
When I had my shop,grid heater problems were virtually non existent. 7.3 glow plugs and relays were another story. When it's cold a Cummins will crank without a grid heater. Let a 7.3 glow plug relay go out or 3 or 4 glow plugs or have a weak battery or 2 and you will be walking with a 7.3.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks and I agree with you anything can and will fail and generally the less parts involved the better. I know you are very familiar with the 12v stuff and they are simple and robust no doubt. The 13+ 6.7 Cummins grid heater is very different from the old stuff and it's a terrible design, with many catastrophic failures. It got nicknamed the KDP of the 6.7 on Cumminsforum.

Btw I would love to get up your way sometime and do some riding! It looks beautiful up there.

Ya I know they are located in the intake plate as opposed to on top. 5.9 isn’t possible to have this problem. 6.7 can but from what I’ve seen it’s not real common. Probably around the same as kdp as you say which is very seldom.
I will admit though the engine I bought for
the truck I’m currently building had the kdp, it was full rebuilt so win for me not the previous owner. It’s the only 12v I’ve personally known of to have the issue. Currently have one truck without the fix, it will get the 10$ kit.
Off subject but if ever out this way give a heads up. Love riding with this group and can usually make the time

Reactions: TimG and Outacntrl
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
When I had my shop,grid heater problems were virtually non existent. 7.3 glow plugs and relays were another story. When it's cold a Cummins will crank without a grid heater. Let a 7.3 glow plug relay go out or 3 or 4 glow plugs or have a weak battery or 2 and you will be walking with a 7.3.
Ya my son did the grid delete on his 5.9. I thought he shouldn’t but she always starts. Saw it up camping last year below 0 fire right up but it smoked pretty good for a sec. Our Nissan TD campervan has no grid or plugs and it always starts. Smokes like a b**** till you can get on it for a minute. None of our rigs get plugged in

Reactions: TimG and Mopower58
Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ya my son did the grid delete on his 5.9. I thought he shouldn’t but she always starts. Saw it up camping last year below 0 fire right up but it smoked pretty good for a sec. Our Nissan TD campervan has no grid or plugs and it always starts. Smokes like a b**** till you can get on it for a minute.
My 6.7 that I did the grid delete on ran good unless it got down below 45. It cranked fine but you had to wait a minute for the cylinder temp to warm up. If you took off immediately it would kinda miss and white smoke till it warmed up.

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That has more to do with the HEUI injection system than it does what style preheat it has but that's a whole different debate lol

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That has more to do with the HEUI injection system than it does what style preheat it has but that's a whole different debate lol

I worked on diesels many many years. There was a reason I always had a Cummins. Old 7.3's with an injection pump did not have HEUI injection systems.

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I worked on diesels many many years. There was a reason I always had a Cummins.
5.9 was a great engine. 6.7 ruined it for me. Just my experience of course. I'm certainly not saying Ford or the Powerstroke is better or perfect but for now it's working for me and I love the wide track of the 450.

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had 2 6.7 Cummins, an 07 2500 hot rod. Then I had a 2012 6.7 Ram Mega Cab dually stock. Loved them both. Always worked on Fords for a living.

Reactions: TimG
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
5.9 was a great engine. 6.7 ruined it for me. Just my experience of course. I'm certainly not saying Ford or the Powerstroke is better or perfect but for now it's working for me and I love the wide track of the 450.

The part of that I agree on is a bad experience usually turns us away from something. Bad experience has left me sour a couple times.
I’ve now had so many of these damn old Dodges and never had any real issues much less did they ever leave me stranded. Same goes for good experiences, that’s probably a big part of why I’m still driving the old s***. It’s definitely not ride quality or creature comforts lol

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The part of that I agree on is a bad experience usually turns us away from something. Bad experience has left me sour a couple times.
I’ve now had so many of these damn old Dodges and never had any real issues much less did they ever leave me stranded. Same goes for good experiences, that’s probably a big part of why I’m still driving the old s***. It’s definitely not ride quality or creature comforts lol
Sometimes lack of knowledge on a specific item or action leaves people disheartened. A great example is a diesel delete. Some people who have never done one are usually the "experts".

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sometimes lack of knowledge on a specific item or action leaves people disheartened. A great example is a diesel delete. Some people who have never done one are usually the "experts".
I really hated diesels till I was getting 5mpg in our old 25ft 12k pound motorhome and couldn’t afford to drive it far and definitely not 25-30 weekends a year like we wanted. Talked to some people then bought and converted the schoolbus with a 5.9ctd. It was 40ft 30k pounds, much more dependable and got 12mpg. They get way north of 300k miles even that heavy with stop/go constantly and I realized shortly after that was same engine in Dodge trucks, and the rest is history.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d take a grid heater over glow plugs any day. Much less to go wrong, glow plugs aren’t exactly known for dependability. It’s a no brainer.

My 3 previous superdutys, 800,000 miles combined and not 1 glow plug issue. Current F350, 2 years old, 90,000 and no issues what so ever.

My opinion is that the glow plugs are very reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My 3 previous superdutys, 800,000 miles combined and not 1 glow plug issue. Current F350, 2 years old, 90,000 and no issues what so ever.

My opinion is that the glow plugs are very reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You live in Florida. I’d hope glow plugs aren’t an issue lol

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You live in Florida. I’d hope glow plugs aren’t an issue lol

I do now, but haven’t always. Just returning from our place in northern Michigan at the moment. Used to live in Montana and spent a lot of time in Wyoming and South Dakota. Used to work in the UP and Minnesota’s iron range, Finland and Northern Sweden (at the artic circle) and Germany. Currently working in Tennessee.

So smart ass, yes I do know a thing or two about cold weather and diesels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!