First diesel purchase

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually never had a break down. But with an old Dodge you don’t need a brand new $60+k truck to get the job done. Some of us can’t afford a new truck every couple years to keep it dependable, that’s why old Cummins retains its value so well
“new truck every couple years to keep it dependable,” SPOT ON!!

Some of us DON’T WANT a new one either. At work we have a ‘17 3500 Cummins, I drive a ‘20 F250 Stroker daily(work truck, company truck). I always get that chubby in my pants when I get in my old 7.3, like I said before I wouldn’t trade it for a new one. I’ve turned down $23k cash before. If I sold it, I’d be looking for the same thing.
We go DEEP in the mountains when we go, I Have to have a reliable truck, and one I can fix, if needed, without a f**king computer... Same reason I bought a Honda. Reliability. Simplicity.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
“new truck every couple years to keep it dependable,” SPOT ON!!

Some of us DON’T WANT a new one either. At work we have a ‘17 3500 Cummins, I drive a ‘20 F250 Stroker daily(work truck, company truck). I always get that chubby in my pants when I get in my old 7.3, like I said before I wouldn’t trade it for a new one. I’ve turned down $23k cash before. If I sold it, I’d be looking for the same thing.
We go DEEP in the mountains when we go, I Have to have a reliable truck, and one I can fix, if needed, without a f**king computer... Same reason I bought a Honda. Reliability. Simplicity.
I’m right there with ya. Curious to see just how dependable the new trucks are in 25-30 years like some of the proven ones are now. Probably on my last truck till diesel fades to electric (I’ll go down fighting lol) no more payments.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’m right there with ya. Curious to see just how dependable the new trucks are in 25-30 years like some of the proven ones are now. Probably on my last truck till diesel fades to electric (I’ll go down fighting lol) no more payments.
You’ll be an old man by then CP, still riding around in your 80’s truck...👍

Just like I see old men now riding around in their 40’s-50’s model trucks....😎

• Love
Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You’ll be an old man by then CP, still riding around in your 80’s truck...👍

Just like I see old men now riding around in their 40’s-50’s model trucks....😎
2 years I could install collector car plates on either of my trucks, be funny loaded up with camper and Sxs trailer lol.
Seriously doubt I’ll live that long and that any of us will be allowed to run diesels over another 15-20 years but it is a damn nice thought.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
FWIW a 7.3 Powerstroke diesel Ford has at least 3 computers, a GEM module which is basically a body module, interior lights, warning buzzer, power windows, door locks. A PCM that controls engine and auto transmission functions and an IDM which is basically a transformer for the injectors, it takes 12v and turns it into 115 volts which powers the injectors. Powerstroke 7.3 diesels were manufactured from 1994 1/2 to 2003 1/2. There were no HD F250 or 350's in 1998.

Last edited:
TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FWIW a 7.3 Powerstroke diesel Ford has at least 3 computers, a GEM module which is basically a body module, interior lights, warning buzzer, power windows, door locks. A PCM that controls engine and auto transmission functions and an IDM which is basically a transformer for the injectors, it takes 12v and turns it into 115 volts which powers the injectors. Powerstroke 7.3 diesels were manufactured from 1994 1/2 to 2003 1/2. There were no HD F250 or 350's in 1998.
Yep.
I’ve already played with two out of the three.
Again.
Reliability and simplicity.
Also, is it bad I had to google what the hell fwiw was... 😅

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I keep forgetting to post my tuner. I installed it Monday and drove thru Wednesday on level 3. Yesterday and today I was on level 2. I think I cracked an injector. I have white smoke at idle and it turns black when you rev it. It stinks like fuel. I put it back to stock this evening and it made the smoke a little less noticeable. I don't know much about diesels so I had a friend check it out at work who is a diesel mechanic. He pulled the oil fill cap and did not feel or see any sign of blow by. He says an injector either cracked or is stuck open. Looks like I just added injectors to my list :/

IMG 20201204 182058

advertisement
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I ordered some 60hp injectors from industrial injector company. Hopefully I will have them in some time next week.
Make sure to install a new o ring on the injector. It probably will come with a new one. I always used STP oil treatment on orings to make them slippery.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure to install a new o ring on the injector. It probably will come with a new one. I always used STP oil treatment on orings to make them slippery.
I am going to check my employee price on the connector tubes tomorrow for oem. If they are expensive I am going to get the Bosch tubes.

Reactions: TimG
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My price on tubes was $61.72 each :/ I bought a set of Bosch Tubes instead. I have everything ordered now to do the injectors. It's a waiting game for it all to show up now.

Reactions: TimG
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The connector tubes showed up yesterday. That was the last piece of the puzzle. I am hoping tomorrow it will all be installed and I will be back on the road.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!