First diesel purchase

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's early Christmas. I got the 60HP Industrial Injectors, Bosch Connector Tubes, Rudy's Diesel Performance Intake Elbow, BLK Diesel Grid Heater Delete, Cummins Valve Cover Breather, and Fel Pro Gaskets.

IMG 20201221 073830

Last edited:
Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gas guy perspective and I admittedly don't understand half the details you guys are tossing back and forth. Bought a new 2017 Ford F250 6.2L Crew Cab couple years back because I couldn't pass up the price and gas has been relatively inexpensive. I get about 9mpg pulling 7k # travel trailer but figure I can afford to put a lot of gas in for the difference in price. I put about 10k on a year pulling camper, Pioneer and Harley around. Don't care for the constant shifting when pulling the camper so I usually run transmission in Tow/Haul mode. I know I won't have the longevity or resale but my big thing with Fords is the size of the cabs. They are huge and when you've got a some weight on it, it rides pretty good. I'm happy but good chance that my next truck will be a diesel.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Gas guy perspective and I admittedly don't understand half the details you guys are tossing back and forth. Bought a new 2017 Ford F250 6.2L Crew Cab couple years back because I couldn't pass up the price and gas has been relatively inexpensive. I get about 9mpg pulling 7k # travel trailer but figure I can afford to put a lot of gas in for the difference in price. I put about 10k on a year pulling camper, Pioneer and Harley around. Don't care for the constant shifting when pulling the camper so I usually run transmission in Tow/Haul mode. I know I won't have the longevity or resale but my big thing with Fords is the size of the cabs. They are huge and when you've got a some weight on it, it rides pretty good. I'm happy but good chance that my next truck will be a diesel.

View attachment 242471
Once you tow with a diesel, it's hard to go back to gas. Better fuel mileage and a lot less up and down shifting!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Quick question, I am thinking of getting a lift pump. Should I get Fass Signature, airdog, or airdog 2? Still messing with the injectors. It should be done tomorrow. The old are out and new are in, went ahead and did lash on all rockers, next is to put the valve cover on and connect fuel lines.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Quick question, I am thinking of getting a lift pump. Should I get Fass Signature, airdog, or airdog 2? Still messing with the injectors. It should be done tomorrow. The old are out and new are in, went ahead and did lash on all rockers, next is to put the valve cover on and connect fuel lines.
You will pay more for the FASS, the owner of Airdog used to work for FASS. Our youngest son bought an Airdog and has had zero problems. Between an Airdog and Airdog2 would be up to you. Don't set fuel pressure over 15 psi if adjustable. FASS or Airdog either one would be light years ahead of the factory fuel pump, plus a lot more filtration.

advertisement
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased the FASS Titanium Signature Series 100GPH Lift Pump last night. The only thing left is the cold air intake at this point. Then I can work on visual improvements :p

Reactions: Mopower58 and TimG
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up really liking the edge evolution so I decided to forgo the pod gauges and purchased the larger evolution instead. Owning a diesel is super fun!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’m right there with ya. Curious to see just how dependable the new trucks are in 25-30 years like some of the proven ones are now. Probably on my last truck till diesel fades to electric (I’ll go down fighting lol) no more payments.
CP, What’s the deal with the DEF. I see “Blue Def” and its 16-18 bucks, I see some off brand at Tractor Supply and it’s 6.95?????

I don’t want to put junk in my motor, but is there really a difference?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not personally messed with DEF on a personal vehicle but I have heard many customers talk about the different brands from where I work. Basically it's like an argument of what oil is best. At the end of the day it's all oil. Everyone has a horror story about one brand or another. The DEF is supposed to be DEF. You are paying for a brand name. However, the main differences I have heard is that different brands are helping people regen their trucks at different intervals. I have not heard of any specifics on that other than one brand worked better for someone while a different brand worked better for someone else.

Personally I think DEF is a joke. I am curious to see what type of toxins we are creating mixing a chemical cleaning reaction in a hot pipe over and over again after 20 years from now when we can collect the data and see what we are creating in the combination of our exhaust gases.

Hope that helps

CP, What’s the deal with the DEF. I see “Blue Def” and its 16-18 bucks, I see some off brand at Tractor Supply and it’s 6.95?????

I don’t want to put junk in my motor, but is there really a difference?

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DEF is DEF and it's mostly water. Just make sure whatever you buy isn't expired, it has a shelf life. DEF will have no impact on regenerations as it is injected downstream of the DPF and has nothing to do with soot load in the DPF. Fuel quality/ additives and driving style will have more to do with regeneration schedules than anything.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!