Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CP, What’s the deal with the DEF. I see “Blue Def” and its 16-18 bucks, I see some off brand at Tractor Supply and it’s 6.95?????

I don’t want to put junk in my motor, but is there really a difference?
Def...you’re asking me? Lol. No emissions whatsoever on any of my diesels.
Def is mandated to standards. I wouldn’t concern yourself over brand names, it’ll all work fine

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@CumminsPusher do you know much about the smarty tuners?

Reactions: Mopower58
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@CumminsPusher do you know much about the smarty tuners?
Back 6 or 7 years ago they were the go to tuner for Cummins, that's all I used on deletes. The Smarty Senior had a lot more options and more horsepower than the Junior. They were noted for specific tuning at a certain rpm level and very little smoke under acceleration.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not really. Know a couple people running Edge or Banks. Never used any of them
Back 6 or 7 years ago they were the go to tuner for Cummins, that's all I used on deletes. The Smarty Senior had a lot more options and more horsepower than the Junior. They were noted for specific tuning at a certain rpm level and very little smoke under acceleration.
I think I am having trouble with the edge tuner. I don't think it likes my aftermarket injectors. It seems like it is defueling or not timing right or something. On level 2 or 3 it surges at highway speeds. Like it can't keep a steady speed. On level 3 it will pop at WOT and smoke turns greyish. I have never tried it on level 4. Level 1 drives good. Stock drives good. I installed a "smoke switch" to trick the computer into thinking its making boost at the MAP sensor and while the truck is surging on level 2 or 3 if you push that button it smooths out until you let off the button. I did some googling and it seems the edge doesn't do well with aftermarket parts. The smarty seems the way to go.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think I am having trouble with the edge tuner. I don't think it likes my aftermarket injectors. It seems like it is defueling or not timing right or something. On level 2 or 3 it surges at highway speeds. Like it can't keep a steady speed. On level 3 it will pop at WOT and smoke turns greyish. I have never tried it on level 4. Level 1 drives good. Stock drives good. I installed a "smoke switch" to trick the computer into thinking its making boost at the MAP sensor and while the truck is surging on level 2 or 3 if you push that button it smooths out until you let off the button. I did some googling and it seems the edge doesn't do well with aftermarket parts. The smarty seems the way to go.
All of the Smarty programmers I used were never used with aftermarket injectors. Make sure you have an ample amount of fuel delivery. I had a Smarty Senior on my 6.7 as part of the delete. I had several aftermarket parts but not injectors. I started out on 175 hp increase but then settled on 125 hp as it was a daily driver.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After some research I ordered the smarty s06 POD. It should treat me much better for what I want :D

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Montecresto
@CumminsPusher
@Outacntrl
@Get-the-gaff
@Mopower58

Speaking of DEF, had a customer come in today on a tow truck with a 21 Sierra 1500 AT4 diesel with 108 miles. He added 2.5 gallons of DEF to his truck..... Guess where he put it.... Under the oil cap of the motor :/

Yep. Put 2.5 gallons of DEF into the engine oil, then started the the truck, then drove it til it locked up. Out of pocket the customer will be right under $25k for a complete engine replacement. Warranty isn't covering that.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@Montecresto
@CumminsPusher
@Outacntrl
@Get-the-gaff
@Mopower58

Speaking of DEF, had a customer come in today on a tow truck with a 21 Sierra 1500 AT4 diesel with 108 miles. He added 2.5 gallons of DEF to his truck..... Guess where he put it.... Under the oil cap of the motor :/

Yep. Put 2.5 gallons of DEF into the engine oil, then started the the truck, then drove it til it locked up. Out of pocket the customer will be right under $25k for a complete engine replacement. Warranty isn't covering that.
Did he drain the oil first or directly in? I’d assume 2.5 extra on that engine would lock it almost immediately

advertisement
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did he drain the oil first or directly in? I’d assume 2.5 extra on that engine would lock it almost immediately
He added the DEF directly to the oil then proceeded to drive off from the gas station he was at and made it a few blocks before it locked up. The story is that it was a company truck (I do not know what company it was) and they will be pushing the receipt towards their insurance company and firing the employee that damaged the company property.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why was he adding DEF at 108 miles? The DEF tank filler under the hood has/was always a terrible location anyway.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The location is semi debate-able. Next to the fuel cap is where you hear stories of people putting DEF into the fuel. People always find the craziest ways to be crazy.

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The location is semi debate-able. Next to the fuel cap is where you hear stories of people putting DEF into the fuel. People always find the craziest ways to be crazy.
I bet this guy wishes he had put it in the fuel instead of where he put it. May have saved him 15k...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
@Montecresto
@CumminsPusher
@Outacntrl
@Get-the-gaff
@Mopower58

I’ve read about people putting DEF straight into the diesel tank on Fords and Rams and having to replace the entire fuel system. Some got lucky on insurance...none on warranty.

I’ve came close to putting in def into my Fuel tank a few times on my previous ‘16 Ford. My wife was talking to me when I was filing the def in my driveway....had the jug nearly pouring when I caught my self. After that I made it a point to triple check and fill def without distractions.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just because pics or it didn't happen. I like the bigger cts2. I have my little cs2 for sale if anyone is interested. Brand new less than a month old. The only reason is that I decided on the larger screen for a monitor versus pod gauges.

IMG 20210117 145516 IMG 20210117 145513

• Haha
Reactions: TimG and Mudwing
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My youngest son came over this weekend and he said he had a Quadzilla Adrenaline tuner on his Cummins. He can download different fuel maps and he has an app on his phone that shows a gauge cluster with all the pertinent info. When it looks at the pyrometer it will defuel if the temps get up to your setting. He also has a 3 gauge cluster on his A pillar. He has a 24 valve short bed 6 speed and added a set of 200 or 225 hp injectors. It's a white sport model now! It has the Air Dog fuel supply.
IMG 1442

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@Montecresto
@CumminsPusher
@Outacntrl
@Get-the-gaff
@Mopower58

Dear lord, I don’t know that he should be driving.
I do like that the def is at (next to) the fuel tank filler on both my ford and dodge, that under the hood General Motors thing was on my list for not going with the Z-71 as I have my last 5 trucks....

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My youngest son came over this weekend and he said he had a Quadzilla Adrenaline tuner on his Cummins. He can download different fuel maps and he has an app on his phone that shows a gauge cluster with all the pertinent info. When it looks at the pyrometer it will defuel if the temps get up to your setting. He also has a 3 gauge cluster on his A pillar. He has a 24 valve short bed 6 speed and added a set of 200 or 225 hp injectors. It's a white sport model now! It has the Air Dog fuel supply.
View attachment 249660
That is a sharp looking truck!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did some sound improvement on the truck this week. I pulled the door panels off and sprayed DEI Boom Mat inside of the door shell (where you see the black), then lined the outside of the shell with KillMat, and finished it off with some Kicker CS speakers. I did it to all 4 doors and wow there is a difference in the cab. The road noise is reduced greatly and the speakers sound great.

A couple weeks ago I installed the Fass Titanium Signature Series 100GPH lift pump with the Rudy's Diesel Performance Sump. I made the mistake and placed the sump directly under the sending unit. Without thinking I just installed it on the flattest spot and ended up into the bottom of the sending unit so for now the unit is slightly pushed up and it causes my fuel gauge to be slightly off. Oh well.

IMG 20210210 153539 IMG 20210210 153946 IMG 20210210 153951 IMG 20210210 154357 IMG 20210210 160309 IMG 20210210 165942 IMG 20210212 162428

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!