Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If you WANT to spend time working on them, buy a Ford or noisy Dodge. If you want to do oil changes and drive it quietly, buy a Chevrolet Duramax. This is my 3rd, a 2017 4x4 crewcab duramax. Have 61,000 miles so far. Radiator fluid level sensor pooped. That's it. Pull toyhauler all the time, 14 mpg in hills. Last truck, a 2004, with 242,000 miles, sold to neighbor for landscaping business. Still earning its keep 5 days a week. Best model is "PD" as in paid in full, and still under warranty.
The new Ford 6.7 diesels are not noisy in my experience. But in 1919 Cummins took Rudolph Diesel’s engineering (from the late 1800’s) to a new level and has been making superior diesel engines for 100 years....😉

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The new Ford 6.7 diesels are not noisy in my experience. But in 1919 Cummins took Rudolph Diesel’s engineering (from the late 1800’s) to a new level and has been making superior diesel engines for 100 years....😉
I drove a brand new ram 3500 yesterday for a customer concern of a brake shake while stopping. I was impressed with how quiet it is. It beats these new duramaxs that sound like a piston lop at idle. I hate the sound of the new duramax.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought and installed a dash over lay kit in my 98 cummings. It turned out great. Easy to install. Just make sure you have books or anchors to set on all points until glue sets up.

My 98 is still bone stock with 103 k miles. I think I will add the elbow and a tuner after Christmas. It's always been workhorse but I'd like to add a few more without cooking the manifold. I'm studying..
Have a diesel shop who has worked on the ac. They cant wait to get their hands on it...literally.
Local dealer offered me 16k on a trade in...
So I added an Edge EZ Controller, otherwise it's still bone stock. They claim 35, 45 and 65 RWHP Gain and I believe it. Coming home in the third stage, I hammered it in third on a stop turn on the way to my place and lit the tires up for about 60 ft. It'd never do that before.
Reasonably priced mod.
I didn't like where the tech mounted the EZ switch, so I made my own bracket.
Kinda fun making my old truck new again.
Rebuilding front end, gear box and interior now.
Oh, and new Fass high capacity lift pump.
Happy Father's Day.
20210619 125536

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Message for the man above who wrote that his old Ford with 7.3 liter Navistar school bus motor was more powerful than his latte model Dodge Ram w.6.7 liter Cummins . . .

Sorry but I have to strongly disagree with you. That old dog Ford/Navistar was a pretty good, pretty durable engine but it never offered more than about 420 ft/lbs of torque and 275 hp. A worn out 6.7L Cummins produces around 450 ft/lbs AT IDLE rpm and never less than 650 - 900 ft/lbs. of torque at 1600 rpm.

The Cummins inline 6 usually doesn't provide the strongest acceleration but it produces massive torque. The pistons, piston rods, and crankshafts of Cummins engine are massive with extremely long strokes. They wind up slowly and are redlined at about 3200 rpm.

The Cummins is a genuine truck motor. It's simply a smaller version of the massive inline 6 engines that power OTR trucks.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Soooo the notorious dodge transmissions are starting to get to me. I was getting the truck all ready for our vacation to Ride Royal Blue this weekend and feel the truck slipping thru 2nd. 1st, 3rd, and 4th feel solid but thru 2nd gear it's like someone won't let off fully of the "clutch". I did some research over the weekend and felt confident in a Suncoast or ATS. Went on my lunch break and talked with a local guy today who only deals in transmissions and decided he will be building me a transmission. He has been in business for 30 years and his son is starting to take over too. After our conversation I feel confident he can make me what I desire and the best part is that its cheaper than the aftermarket transmissions and I don't have to do any work :p the bad part is that the guy is 4 weeks booked currently :( so the truck will wait for awhile. For now we plan on taking "the bus" to Ride Royal Blue.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Soooo the notorious dodge transmissions are starting to get to me. I was getting the truck all ready for our vacation to Ride Royal Blue this weekend and feel the truck slipping thru 2nd. 1st, 3rd, and 4th feel solid but thru 2nd gear it's like someone won't let off fully of the "clutch". I did some research over the weekend and felt confident in a Suncoast or ATS. Went on my lunch break and talked with a local guy today who only deals in transmissions and decided he will be building me a transmission. He has been in business for 30 years and his son is starting to take over too. After our conversation I feel confident he can make me what I desire and the best part is that its cheaper than the aftermarket transmissions and I don't have to do any work :p the bad part is that the guy is 4 weeks booked currently :( so the truck will wait for awhile. For now we plan on taking "the bus" to Ride Royal Blue.
Request a Billet torque converter.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Request a Billet torque converter.
It is getting a billet triple disc converter and billet input shaft. I don't remember all of the details but I know it's getting some fancy HD clutches and other upgrades. I told the guy everything currently done to the truck and the end goal of 500wHP. I told him I am considering the stage 4 ATS or category 3 Suncoast. He assured me the transmission he is making will hold up. He is giving me a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. He seems to know what he is talking about. We conversated for almost half an hour getting details about how I drive, different parts list options, and what I tow.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I know they can be built. In fact the old auto I know can hold more power then most if built right.
My last auto Cummins is my ‘98 12valve that I haven’t driven in years and is for sale soon. Moved on to manual for good about 4 years ago, no regurts.

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know they can be built. In fact the old auto I know can hold more power then most if built right.
My last auto Cummins is my ‘98 12valve that I haven’t driven in years and is for sale soon. Moved on to manual for good about 4 years ago, no regurts.
I am a little sad the transmission is dying but I know it's a dodge and their OE transmissions weren't always the greatest. There is no way of knowing if the current transmission in mine was OE or not but the truck has 214k on it today and after I bought it I threw a bunch of "power upgrades" into it so I knew from the beginning it was a potential failure point. I am super excited to have it built because that is the last step of the process for the things the truck "needs" to become bulletproof :p

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Am so glad you Powerstroke and Dodge guys like throwing money at your trucks. Have a 2017 Silverado with Stock Duramax and stock Allison tranny. This is my second rig, and lst one was at 275,000 when I sold it to my neighbor for his landscaping business. He's still using it every day, 4 years later. Go ahead and throw money at your fine trucks. They need it just to stay useable. As for me, my little Chevy and I have an understanding, she don't break and I don't throw money at it.

advertisement
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Am so glad you Powerstroke and Dodge guys like throwing money at your trucks. Have a 2017 Silverado with Stock Duramax and stock Allison tranny. This is my second rig, and lst one was at 275,000 when I sold it to my neighbor for his landscaping business. He's still using it every day, 4 years later. Go ahead and throw money at your fine trucks. They need it just to stay useable. As for me, my little Chevy and I have an understanding, she don't break and I don't throw money at it.
I Have a 2017 Power Stroke Lariat and don't throw money at it, I pull my toy hauler with it and anything else I need for. I maintain it but don't throw money at it.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
If you WANT to spend time working on them, buy a Ford or noisy Dodge. If you want to do oil changes and drive it quietly, buy a Chevrolet Duramax. This is my 3rd, a 2017 4x4 crewcab duramax. Have 61,000 miles so far. Radiator fluid level sensor pooped. That's it. Pull toyhauler all the time, 14 mpg in hills. Last truck, a 2004, with 242,000 miles, sold to neighbor for landscaping business. Still earning its keep 5 days a week. Best model is "PD" as in paid in full, and still under warranty.
I don't spend time working on my Super Duty and it's very quiet.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
CP, What’s the deal with the DEF. I see “Blue Def” and its 16-18 bucks, I see some off brand at Tractor Supply and it’s 6.95?????

I don’t want to put junk in my motor, but is there really a difference?
Diesel exhaust fluid is pretty much all the same, Blue Def just has a bigger marketing budget. Many people swear by refilling at fuel stations that have Def pumps there also. They are always turning it and keeping it fresh so that a good option.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So…you’re comparing a few year old truck that you spent 70 grand on?
Then you say people are blowing their money on older trucks? Ones that don’t depreciate, like what yours does at 1000 per month forever because you have to keep buying new to stay dependable? What a joke. That Isuzu engine is brutal.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't mind throwing money at my vehicles. I am not a stock kind of guy. Everything I have has to be modified. In my younger days I had a Chrysler town and country with dual Flowmaster exhaust on a 3.8 :p nothing I own is safe from modification. I enjoy it extensively.

As far as vehicles go, everyone has some kind of good and or bad story. I have a friend of mine with a 01 cummins 2wd single wheel 6 speed all stock at 432k miles. He drives it everyday.

I am a GM mechanic and if you have heard anything about their recent issues; I as an example replaced the lifters in 2 vehicles just last month. While other technicians I work with are replacing them as well. All with less than 5k miles on them. My neighbor technician is 1 of 2 of our diesel techs. He is putting injectors in new diesels weekly.

If you ever get a chance to do some research on cummins versus others you will find that pre 6.7 they are one of the easiest and cheapest diesels to work on. Dollar for dollar they generally put down more power than any of the others as well.

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So…you’re comparing a few year old truck that you spent 70 grand on?
Spot on :p

With the purchase of my truck, price of new transmission, the new injectors I already did, and current odds and ends of upgrades I will have $17k in mine.

I would wager I could pull a couple mountains over with it :p

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Spot on :p

With the purchase of my truck, price of new transmission, the new injectors I already did, and current odds and ends of upgrades I will have $17k in mine.

I would wager I could pull a couple mountains over with it :p
And it’s still worth that and will be

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’m. Hae
Nailed it

It's why I get excited to spend money on it :p
ya everyone keeps asking why I don’t sell my ‘98. Well old Dodge appreciate so it’s not like a newer truck just plummeting in the driveway. It’s currently worth an easy sale of 7k more then I bought it for and I’ve only put 2 into it including tires. That’s a grand a year I’ve made by it just sitting there. Stupid I am not lol.
Both my others are worth drastically more then what I’ve bought them for, especially the 4 door 93 dually. I’ve been offered 4 times what I’m in it and turned it down. Hard to have same results with a newer truck. They just cost money every month but people don’t look as maintenance, it’s a payment as a “necessity” that has to be done to be dependable.
But the same guy will give you s*** for rebuilding our trans for a couple grand yet when theirs needs one it’s 10.
Or the fuel system just cost 10 yet our costs a couple hundred. Or doesn’t need the particulate “filter” for 3-8k replaced. Or stupid glow plug tip falls into engine or strips out coming out for replacement. Or be towed to the dealer and sit there for months while they try to figure out which sensor just stranded your ass then to find out it’s on a recall list and none available. Never bought one under 250k and currently have at 350 and one at 400k, not big deal. Never bought one new and sold before that talking how dependable it was. Just a little perspective.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Or the fuel system just cost 10 yet our costs a couple hundred. Or doesn’t need the particulate “filter” for 3-8k replaced. Or stupid glow plug tip falls into engine or strips out coming out for replacement. Or be towed to the dealer and sit there for months while they try to figure out which sensor just stranded your ass then to find out it’s on a recall list and none available. Just a little perspective.

Lol, all of that right there is why I'm glad I went with a gasser. Those diesels have tons of power and run forever but what a pita.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!