First diesel purchase

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, perhaps it has something to do with me having ordered my Dodge one ton with a flat bed, maybe the dealer had to put a smaller tank because of that….🤔
Anyway, seems I can only put about 3 gallons in it. Oh and my Ford, also with a 6.7 doesn’t smoke at all…
You are correct about the tank. The early GM used a 7 gallon tank and the later GM used an 11 gallon tank. I would assume other makes would be similar.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If I recall correctly, dodge uses more DEF. Reason being; DEF creates a chemical reaction that basically makes smoke invisible. Dodge was the first to figure this out later on and used it to their advantage. Dump more fuel with more DEF and you get power without smoke. That is why they were the first DEF pickups to reach the 1000ft lb mark. It is my perception thru my research that the later model dodge models fuel more aggressively than others.
I have all of ours set to not smoke. Slight puff on take off and in between gears, set up good. Seems to be the magic number for power and fuel economy too. If I want smoke just bump up a gear or two too high and stand on it.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got a call this morning from the transmission shop and they are finally ready for the truck! I dropped it off this afternoon and now I just have to wait. :D

I called the guy on November 22 to get a time-line update and he apologized that a job he had took longer than anticipated and he had forgotten about Thanksgiving. He asked for a couple more weeks and I told him that was fine. Now I just have to be patient which is always the hardest part.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got the truck back today courtesy of my Amazing Wife taking care of everything! Picking it up and handling the bill. I am very excited to have it back. The guy wanted to see me in person so my wife and I went over and he basically bragged about it was pretty happy to get to build it up. Now I have to take it easy thru the break in period :p then I can start playing again!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I got the truck back today courtesy of my Amazing Wife taking care of everything! Picking it up and handling the bill. I am very excited to have it back. The guy wanted to see me in person so my wife and I went over and he basically bragged about it was pretty happy to get to build it up. Now I have to take it easy thru the break in period :p then I can start playing again!
I’m excited for you. It’s a good truck. Keep going man, it’s worth it😉

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m excited for you. It’s a good truck. Keep going man, it’s worth it😉
I am excited too. The builder was really excited to show it off too and so it was really nice to see someone proud of their work.

Reactions: Smitty335
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@CumminsPusher

Are you a member of the cummins forum? I recently signed up and I am going to attempt to gain some knowledge from there.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@CumminsPusher

Are you a member of the cummins forum? I recently signed up and I am going to attempt to gain some knowledge from there.
Ya I’m on there. A lot of guys just asking how to get black smoke or turn up a stock truck but there’s a few good ones.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hit all the 2s on July 28th of 22

IMG20220727175930

advertisement
GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I spent almost 5 years with a Cummins…the catch was it was the gimmick Cummins. I deleted it and put my touches on it, but I worried constantly. Broken cranks were a thing of concern, and I had developed a slight turbo issue that tripped a code. My tech at the dealership said put it back stock and we’d fix it under warranty but then found out that the turbo (among other parts) was on back order. He then said one came in with a broken crank and suggested that I get rid of mine while I still could. It was a great riding truck and for the most part trouble free, but I wasn’t going to risk a $15k long block with no warranty left!

It’s replacement is MUCH more fun to drive with the 6.2!
09EEFFF5 5F99 4F68 B8D6 FF80A62675F0
5CF9D3D0 5214 4602 B9DA DCA897DE2333

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 6.2 is punchy. Lifters should really be the only thing to worry about on the GM. Otherwise I see alot of annoying service trailer messages with the factory tow packages.

I spent almost 5 years with a Cummins…the catch was it was the gimmick Cummins. I deleted it and put my touches on it, but I worried constantly. Broken cranks were a thing of concern, and I had developed a slight turbo issue that tripped a code. My tech at the dealership said put it back stock and we’d fix it under warranty but then found out that the turbo (among other parts) was on back order. He then said one came in with a broken crank and suggested that I get rid of mine while I still could. It was a great riding truck and for the most part trouble free, but I wasn’t going to risk a $15k long block with no warranty left!

It’s replacement is MUCH more fun to drive with the 6.2! View attachment 347542View attachment 347541

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Had a valve spring break with 200 miles on it but other than that no issues. Got 12k on it now. I do have the Pulsar LT as well with the DFM turned off for summer mower trailer towing. I’ll turn it back on when I’m not towing as much…but I’m my mind it feels stronger when I know I’m running on 8 all the time. It’s also really cool to have the speed limiter set at 140. Sometimes it surprises other Chevy owners…when I run off and leave them!

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a valve spring break with 200 miles on it but other than that no issues. Got 12k on it now. I do have the Pulsar LT as well with the DFM turned off for summer mower trailer towing. I’ll turn it back on when I’m not towing as much…but I’m my mind it feels stronger when I know I’m running on 8 all the time. It’s also really cool to have the speed limiter set at 140. Sometimes it surprises other Chevy owners…when I run off and leave them!
The 6.2 is a fun gas truck and typically surprises most people. I am a GM mechanic and don't have alot of "aftermarket" AFM delete experience but I have heard it's the best way to go with these 8 cyl GM products long term. I have seen the lifters go on Silverados being delivered and as high as 200k. Our dealership almost has 1 per week. We have 14 technicians and stay pretty busy. I literally have one I started yesterday. 128k miles and I just did spark plugs and wires 150 miles ago. It was really hard explaining to that customer how his truck was "fine" until "we" touched it. After talking with us he was really understanding tho. I got the head off yesterday and see no damage to the camshaft so that is a relief. I will have it all back together Monday if my schedule isn't too crazy.

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hope I don’t experience that. I just turned in my 2014 Silverado g-ride with 189,000 on it. When I got it as a hand me down I had TDOT do plugs and wires and a good overall tune up. It ran pretty good for a truck with that many miles on it. You could tell it was tired but it still ran ok for the 25k that I put on it. I got my bosses 2020 Silverado with about 50k on it, but it’s had lifter issues. Happened right after he got it. Runs ok now but I guess you just don’t ever know.

We are having a great deal of problems getting replacement vehicles so I went with the bird in the hand 2020 used instead of the bird in the bush 2023 new Silverado that I got to order. Who knows if it will ever even come in…with my luck it would but it would be a stripped work truck with the 2.7 instead of the decent loaded LT with the 5.3 that we normally get!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope I don’t experience that. I just turned in my 2014 Silverado g-ride with 189,000 on it. When I got it as a hand me down I had TDOT do plugs and wires and a good overall tune up. It ran pretty good for a truck with that many miles on it. You could tell it was tired but it still ran ok for the 25k that I put on it. I got my bosses 2020 Silverado with about 50k on it, but it’s had lifter issues. Happened right after he got it. Runs ok now but I guess you just don’t ever know.

We are having a great deal of problems getting replacement vehicles so I went with the bird in the hand 2020 used instead of the bird in the bush 2023 new Silverado that I got to order. Who knows if it will ever even come in…with my luck it would but it would be a stripped work truck with the 2.7 instead of the decent loaded LT with the 5.3 that we normally get!
You are spot on. The availability of vehicles is ridiculous. We have been servicing FedEx fleet vehicles with almost 500k miles because they can't get replacements.

The easiest way to describe the lifters is that they just decide on their own one day to not wake up.

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Our last get for fleet purchases from Chevrolet was a mess of crew cab 4x4 white with black bumpers, steel wheels, and vinyl floor and seats. I hate to turn down a free truck but hell no that’s the last thing I want. It’s hard to be stealth in the hood driving something like that. If I have to keep this 2020 over a new one I’ll survive. Heck, ida kept the 2014 but as old as it was we were afraid the state wouldn’t fix it if it developed and issue.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
Always been a Cummins fan and always will be! Seeing how Cummins HQ is about 80 minutes away from me you tend to see a bunch of Dodge and Ram trucks running around here all the time! Just with bad diesel fuel and junk injection pumps these days got me away from diesel all together. I got me a 6.4 Hemi and I have no regrets.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Robobrainiac- I've read through your post here and wanted to add something to watch for- a co-worker and fellow riding group member just experienced a catastrophic drive-train failure on his 2004 3500 Cummins truck. He was traveling from Michigan to South Dakota and in the middle of Wisconsin, at 75 MPH the front drive shaft came apart and busted the front output off the transfer case, taking out the brake lines, fuel lines and wiring harness.

Tow truck driver told him that he pulls at least 2 Dodge trucks a month off the road with this same failure. He is repairing it, but the hold up is the wire harness- no longer available from Dodge/FCA/Stellantis and used are hard to come by.

I have a 2001 2500 Cummins truck, basically, same transfer case as an 2004. Therefore, I did some research and what I found was the double-cardan joint at the transfer case is what fails. Since the front axle is turning the front drive shaft all the time the truck is moving. I found the claim is that there is an almost hidden grease Zerk on the joint, despite no Zerk's on the actual U-joints.

Now my friend's failure I am going to point at the transfer case out-put shaft bearing, for 2 months before his trip, a rebuilt front drive shaft was installed because he had his auto trans rebuilt and beefed-up. At that time the front shaft was found to have play in it.

So I would recommend to you to do a really good inspection of your front drive shaft and transfer case front out-put to hopefully avoid a similar failure.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Robobrainiac- I've read through your post here and wanted to add something to watch for- a co-worker and fellow riding group member just experienced a catastrophic drive-train failure on his 2004 3500 Cummins truck. He was traveling from Michigan to South Dakota and in the middle of Wisconsin, at 75 MPH the front drive shaft came apart and busted the front output off the transfer case, taking out the brake lines, fuel lines and wiring harness.

Tow truck driver told him that he pulls at least 2 Dodge trucks a month off the road with this same failure. He is repairing it, but the hold up is the wire harness- no longer available from Dodge/FCA/Stellantis and used are hard to come by.

I have a 2001 2500 Cummins truck, basically, same transfer case as an 2004. Therefore, I did some research and what I found was the double-cardan joint at the transfer case is what fails. Since the front axle is turning the front drive shaft all the time the truck is moving. I found the claim is that there is an almost hidden grease Zerk on the joint, despite no Zerk's on the actual U-joints.

Now my friend's failure I am going to point at the transfer case out-put shaft bearing, for 2 months before his trip, a rebuilt front drive shaft was installed because he had his auto trans rebuilt and beefed-up. At that time the front shaft was found to have play in it.

So I would recommend to you to do a really good inspection of your front drive shaft and transfer case front out-put to hopefully avoid a similar failure.
You are on point with the front driveshaft failure. I have heard of a few. I check mine over well every oil change. I change oil 3500-4000 miles.

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!