Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya, I'd rather have the diesel pain in the ass I understand and can fix. Newer modern cars are computer marvel's, I guess.
98- 24 valve bought new for $ 30k. My latest offer is $38k. Dont think many gas rigs appreciate in value like that.

And I just dumped 5 grand in it but it's better now than new, for the next several hundred k miles.
I've got plenty of gassers but the old Dodge always just runs good.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya, I'd rather have the diesel pain in the ass I understand and can fix. Newer modern cars are computer marvel's, I guess.
98- 24 valve bought new for $ 30k. My latest offer is $38k. Dont think many gas rigs appreciate in value like that.

And I just dumped 5 grand in it but it's better now than new, for the next several hundred k miles.
I've got plenty of gassers but the old Dodge always just runs good.
To me yours is computer marvel lol. I’m use to totally non electronics in 12valves. But ya it’s really simple in yours in comparison to newer. Very simple!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m. Hae

ya everyone keeps asking why I don’t sell my ‘98. Well old Dodge appreciate so it’s not like a newer truck just plummeting in the driveway. It’s currently worth an easy sale of 7k more then I bought it for and I’ve only put 2 into it including tires. That’s a grand a year I’ve made by it just sitting there. Stupid I am not lol.
Both my others are worth drastically more then what I’ve bought them for, especially the 4 door 93 dually. I’ve been offered 4 times what I’m in it and turned it down. Hard to have same results with a newer truck. They just cost money every month but people don’t look as maintenance, it’s a payment as a “necessity” that has to be done to be dependable.
But the same guy will give you s*** for rebuilding our trans for a couple grand yet when theirs needs one it’s 10.
Or the fuel system just cost 10 yet our costs a couple hundred. Or doesn’t need the particulate “filter” for 3-8k replaced. Or stupid glow plug tip falls into engine or strips out coming out for replacement. Or be towed to the dealer and sit there for months while they try to figure out which sensor just stranded your ass then to find out it’s on a recall list and none available. Never bought one under 250k and currently have at 350 and one at 400k, not big deal. Never bought one new and sold before that talking how dependable it was. Just a little perspective.
I agree

Manufacturers have made everything more difficult as well. They design vehicles with maintenance and ease of repair as the last things on the list. Light bulbs can literally require removal of the bumper. Most of these new vehicles are so full of electrical junk it's one of the reasons I believe they will not hold their value. Get a new truck that the radio screen is cracked, sunroof motor is bad, seat AC is INOP, and and the rear tail light has a burned LED and I am not exaggerating when I say to fix all that will cost you $10k at the dealership.

Reactions: TimG
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
GM is really ticking me off lately. They seem to be dropping "computer support" for "older" vehicles. There are some late 2000s that do not work with the new diagnostic tools and they are discontinuing the tools used for the older vehicles. I had a 2021 Silverado 2500 the other day that customer complaint 4wd will not engage. I checked it over and found the front axle actuator not working. Signal was being sent but actuator would not move. 2k mile truck. I put a new actuator in it. Truck stopped sending the signal to the new actuator. Found out you have to PROGRAM the new actuator!! It literally looks identical to a 90s GM actuator and now you are telling me it needs to be re learned when you install a new one? Why? The system seems no different than from 20 years ago. Just an example of GM making it difficult for the DIY guy to do their own work. I am certain all of the makers are doing it but something so simple should not need to be taken to a dealer to be programed.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Installed the transfer tank yesterday. I need to install the pump still but I wanted the tank out of my storage space so for now it's bolted into the truck.

IMG 20211109 130812

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
How many gal?

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How many gal?
I paid $418.90 shipped and no taxes. It showed up with some small scuffs on the area facing the cab and the seller gave me a $100 partial refund. So I have it for $318.90. I purchased a horizontal 25 gallon tank with 12v transfer pump used on Facebook last year for $100. I never installed it and eventually decided the horizontal position and size was not what I wanted. So I am going to use the transfer pump from my previous purchase and this new tank together and bingo it should be good to go.

advertisement
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Empty that could yield 1400 miles fairly easy.
I forgot pics;

I run the smarty on level 6 and I do like to see some smoke. It makes me smile. Combined with my heavy foot I am being conservative with my projected numbers :p

Daily driven with an attitude of wanting fun I fill up weekly at 14.8MPG

Compared to my old gas Sierra I might have gotten 9 to 10. The best I ever saw out of that thing was 11 empty and it was no where near as fun.

IMG 20211105 175030 IMG 20211105 175036

Last edited:
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
Been running my 06 Dodge on Smarty S2G #6 which is+90 HP,with increased fuel,transmission pressure. It's a coal rollin beast ! I'm afraid I'll blow my tranny if my foot doesn't lighten up but haven't had any trouble yet. :p When it goes I will have it built like yours.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been running my 06 Dodge on Smarty S2G #6 which is+90 HP,with increased fuel,transmission pressure. It's a coal rollin beast ! I'm afraid I'll blow my tranny if my foot doesn't lighten up but haven't had any trouble yet. :p When it goes I will have it built like yours.
I knew going into it I would need one eventually. So there's that part of me that's like "aww man it's broken" then the bigger part of me is like "sweet, now it can be built right and I can stop worrying" :p

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I knew going into it I would need one eventually. So there's that part of me that's like "aww man it's broken" then the bigger part of me is like "sweet, now it can be built right and I can stop worrying" :p
I also just did a South Bend HD Clutch upgrade in my 5 speed. 12,500 + Lb tow rating and matches the increased torque and HP added by the Edge EZ module.
And they say the hydraulic clutch is adjustable. Not sure about that however,
This baby runs and pulls great. The fuel mileage is a bit better as well, but it always has been mid 20's.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Diesel exhaust fluid is pretty much all the same, Blue Def just has a bigger marketing budget. Many people swear by refilling at fuel stations that have Def pumps there also. They are always turning it and keeping it fresh so that a good option.
Yes, when I’m on the interstate I use the truck stop filling stations for my diesel exhaust fuel. I can go 5-6K miles in my Ford super duty between fill ups so it almost always gets that, my new Dodge however can only do about 2K so often I’m using the two gallon tractor store one that’s I think $6.99…..

Reactions: Alan aka Davinci
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I forgot pics;

I run the smarty on level 6 and I do like to see some smoke. It makes me smile. Combined with my heavy foot I am being conservative with my projected numbers :p

Daily driven with an attitude of wanting fun I fill up weekly at 14.8MPG

Compared to my old gas Sierra I might have gotten 9 to 10. The best I ever saw out of that thing was 11 empty and it was no where near as fun.

View attachment 304086 View attachment 304087
What I love about my diesel is pulling a hill with my dozer on the tandem dually at 60 mph and 1800 rpm’s. My Chevy gasser with the 6.0 pulling my toy hauler (10,000 lbs less) was screaming at 4,000 rpm’s and I always hated that. Hell, my Cummins redlines at 3,100 rpm’s….

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What I love about my diesel is pulling a hill with my dozer on the tandem dually at 60 mph and 1800 rpm’s. My Chevy gasser with the 6.0 pulling my toy hauler (10,000 lbs less) was screaming at 4,000 rpm’s and I always hated that. Hell, my Cummins redlines at 3,100 rpm’s….
You are correct. The cummins just slides into 4th and decides to stay there until you slow down. It doesn't seem to care. My old Sierra would down shift on flat land with the pioneer on a trailer behind it. When I pulled my Kubota with the Sierra it would scream. The cummins will not down shift and it can accelerate while pulling still in 4th! My wife and I drove to Ride Royal Blue yesterday and we used our 1 ton Chevrolet van. It has the auto 6 speed so it did slightly better than the Sierra ever did. The van impressed me until south 75. It didn't like those hills very well.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, when I’m on the interstate I use the truck stop filling stations for my diesel exhaust fuel. I can go 5-6K miles in my Ford super duty between fill ups so it almost always gets that, my new Dodge however can only do about 2K so often I’m using the two gallon tractor store one that’s I think $6.99…..
If I recall correctly, dodge uses more DEF. Reason being; DEF creates a chemical reaction that basically makes smoke invisible. Dodge was the first to figure this out later on and used it to their advantage. Dump more fuel with more DEF and you get power without smoke. That is why they were the first DEF pickups to reach the 1000ft lb mark. It is my perception thru my research that the later model dodge models fuel more aggressively than others.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If I recall correctly, dodge uses more DEF. Reason being; DEF creates a chemical reaction that basically makes smoke invisible. Dodge was the first to figure this out later on and used it to their advantage. Dump more fuel with more DEF and you get power without smoke. That is why they were the first DEF pickups to reach the 1000ft lb mark. It is my perception thru my research that the later model dodge models fuel more aggressively than others.
Well, perhaps it has something to do with me having ordered my Dodge one ton with a flat bed, maybe the dealer had to put a smaller tank because of that….🤔
Anyway, seems I can only put about 3 gallons in it. Oh and my Ford, also with a 6.7 doesn’t smoke at all…

Reactions: Robobrainiac
advertisement