mechanical issues affecting purchase

S

sourmango

Nov 27, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was just about sold on a Talon R, but I have been reading too many issues regarging U joints and seal leaks.

I can't bring myself to spend $20,000 on a product with all these known issues. I'm not knocking anyone who has. The KRX has issues. Forget Can Am and Polaris. Don't like the looks of the Wolverine.

It's kind of sad the state the SXS market is compared to four wheelers and motorcycles, especially at the price point.

Step it up Honda.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was just about sold on a Talon R, but I have been reading too many issues regarging U joints and seal leaks.

I can't bring myself to spend $20,000 on a product with all these known issues. I'm not knocking anyone who has. The KRX has issues. Forget Can Am and Polaris. Don't like the looks of the Wolverine.

It's kind of sad the state the SXS market is compared to four wheelers and motorcycles, especially at the price point.

Step it up Honda.
This is a rhetorical question, but what are you gonna buy that compares to the talon that has no issues?

Keep in mind that for every problem you hear of, there are hundreds...maybe thousands that have had no issues.
On the other side of the coin, I DO think Honda quality has dropped.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everyone has issues. No one is perfect. There is a few threads on here discussing this. For the most part Honda is great. Your dealership who provides warranty will make up the rest. Your dealer is more important than any make or model. Most have their problems taken care of and many don't have any problems at all. Manufacturers sometimes get a grumpy guy who installs things wrong for a few days. Or just a bad part sometimes. What makes the difference is how it's replaced and put back into use. Spend $75k on a new GM and have the engine knock and die under 5k miles.

Dealerships are more important than make and model when it comes to new purchases.

Last edited:
S

sourmango

Nov 27, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This is a rhetorical question, but what are you gonna buy that compares to the talon that has no issues?

Keep in mind that for every problem you hear of, there are hundreds...maybe thousands that have had no issues.
On the other side of the coin, I DO think Honda quality has dropped.
Yeah, there is really nothing out there. It's disappointing.

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Step it up Honda.
Sounds like u need rock! Hard to find something wrong with that! 😂🥳

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If you don't like and trust the products available you probably shouldn't buy one. You won't be happy with any of them.

I've owned my Pioneer 1000 a year and 1700 miles. I've experienced no problems with it. I'm at the other extreme of owners. I baby my Pioneer on blacktop pavement.

No mechanical product can stand up to the abuse and neglect some drivers force on them. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of satisfied owners who love the Honda products and have few or no issues with them. They are not here complaining.

S

sourmango

Nov 27, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you don't like and trust the products available you probably shouldn't buy one. You won't be happy with any of them.

I've owned my Pioneer 1000 a year and 1700 miles. I've experienced no problems with it. I'm at the other extreme of owners. I baby my Pioneer on blacktop pavement.

No mechanical product can stand up to the abuse and neglect some drivers force on them. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of satisfied owners who love the Honda products and have few or no issues with them. They are not here complaining.
You're right.

I see people abusing them on the utube videos, although most if not all the Talons seemed to be driven reasonably.

I really like the Talon and KRX. Keeping my eye on the 22s.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had a few issues with my P1K5-LE, but a lot of fun as well. I'm still a big fan.
I don't know about the KRX and it looks like you're looking for something more on the "sport" side, rather than the "utility" side.
But, I had a Teryx 4 for six years and it never had a single problem. My only complaint was that I'm in a street legal state and the 2015 model had a governor that would kick in at 53 mph. I understand the newer models have upped the top speed.
Good luck.
PS: Friends don't let friends drive Polaris.

advertisement
B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I've had a few issues with my P1K5-LE, but a lot of fun as well. I'm still a big fan.
I don't know about the KRX and it looks like you're looking for something more on the "sport" side, rather than the "utility" side.
But, I had a Teryx 4 for six years and it never had a single problem. My only complaint was that I'm in a street legal state and the 2015 model had a governor that would kick in at 53 mph. I understand the newer models have upped the top speed.
Good luck.
PS: Friends don't let friends drive Polaris.

I would add..... Only let your enemies drive Polaris : )

I have a toe in the water on both utility and sport utv's and I only had 1 vehicle that had 0 actual problems out of the gate. That being said, it had H U G E drawbacks.

My 21 P1K5 SE was delivered with a failed shock, a bad battery & a few loose electrical connections that made the I-4wd nanny lights act up, and a rattle at 30mph (still waiting to have that looked at). All in for the cost with a 4 year warranty, I am WAY far ahead from the other vehicles I ran. By comparison, my viking was perfect until 600 miles, then I had cooling issues, belt noise, power loss, power steering leaks, and a bad cv. All covered by warranty but that bike was the best of the lot up to that point.

I ran a Teryx for a year and that was the only one to have not a single issue related to the build. It was the most reliable. It always worked and never failed. That being said........ It was under powered, the loudest bike I've been in, extremely HOT all the time, the ride was terrible, the clearance was terrible, it was heavy, sloppy steering, the ergonomics were crap, and the function for ME was horrible. It had all the lack of function of a sport sxs but none of the sport. It had hardly any of the function of a utility sxs but took all the excuses for being a utility side by side. I think because they produce so few of them, they have to get it right because the company just cannot afford to fix the mistakes.

I am a nerd. So before I purchase I lurk for a year or more and wait until I find so much "better" with what I am courting, that I end up selling my current set up and move on. That being said, to date the Pioneer is the best of the lot for me as a utility sxs. When the dust settles on the purchase Ill be looking to ADD a second set up for the first time. I will likely go with the Talon 4 seater.

One thing I really appreciate that Honda seems to be getting better at (than all the others with the exception of can-am) is listening to the users and the forums. Heck look at the complaints on the cab enclosures and the heat issues with the pioneer and you will see that honda came up with their version of a fix. I mean they are not as good at listening as can-am, but that's probably because they are not Canadian : )

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You're right.

I see people abusing them on the utube videos, although most if not all the Talons seemed to be driven reasonably.

I really like the Talon and KRX. Keeping my eye on the 22s.
My opinion only . . . it's very unlikely the the UTV/Sport ATV industry will see any significant changes or new products for 20222. 2021 has been a terrible year for the manufacturers. I've seen no reports but I believe they've all suffered large losses due to extremely poor production and sales numbers.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
After 25 years of snowmobiling, I hope to never own another CVT, I grew to hate them. That left the YXZ and Talon. Yamaha has been trying to make that 5 speed work since they introduced it, many gear reduction attempts and the aftermarket is making a killing on different ideas. Not to mention the horrible 3 cylinder power band, all HP, no torque. All you have to do is watch a few youtube vids to see how bad they are in technical riding.

Honda introduced the Talon right as I aged out of dirt bikes, perfect timing for the next stage of my life and I'll get to keep exploring the back country for the rest of my life. Sure, I wish it had a better suspension like the KRX and I wish they'd delivered it with 32" tires and the appropriate gearing, the new minimum IMO. Adding larger tires isn't as easy with the geared driveline as it is with the CVT which only needs new ramps and springs.

But what I did end up with is a dual range, 6 speed, paddle shiftin' dirt kart that's more fun than I had ever imagined possible and orders of magnitude safer than the dirt bikes.

Note that the mechanical noise in a Talon is painful to me, I won't ride without foam earplugs, even inside my helmet. I've heard the KRX is also quite noisy. Hearing loss is permanent and progressive, it doesn't hurt and we ignore it until it's too late - tinnitus 24/7. #oleguy

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

I have a toe in the water on both utility and sport utv's and I only had 1 vehicle that had 0 actual problems out of the gate. That being said, it had H U G E drawbacks.

My 21 P1K5 SE was delivered with a failed shock, a bad battery & a few loose electrical connections that made the I-4wd nanny lights act up, and a rattle at 30mph (still waiting to have that looked at). All in for the cost with a 4 year warranty, I am WAY far ahead from the other vehicles I ran. By comparison, my viking was perfect until 600 miles, then I had cooling issues, belt noise, power loss, power steering leaks, and a bad cv. All covered by warranty but that bike was the best of the lot up to that point.

I ran a Teryx for a year and that was the only one to have not a single issue related to the build. It was the most reliable. It always worked and never failed. That being said........ It was under powered, the loudest bike I've been in, extremely HOT all the time, the ride was terrible, the clearance was terrible, it was heavy, sloppy steering, the ergonomics were crap, and the function for ME was horrible. It had all the lack of function of a sport sxs but none of the sport. It had hardly any of the function of a utility sxs but took all the excuses for being a utility side by side. I think because they produce so few of them, they have to get it right because the company just cannot afford to fix the mistakes.

I am a nerd. So before I purchase I lurk for a year or more and wait until I find so much "better" with what I am courting, that I end up selling my current set up and move on. That being said, to date the Pioneer is the best of the lot for me as a utility sxs. When the dust settles on the purchase Ill be looking to ADD a second set up for the first time. I will likely go with the Talon 4 seater.

One thing I really appreciate that Honda seems to be getting better at (than all the others with the exception of can-am) is listening to the users and the forums. Heck look at the complaints on the cab enclosures and the heat issues with the pioneer and you will see that honda came up with their version of a fix. I mean they are not as good at listening as can-am, but that's probably because they are not Canadian : )
Vikings are known for power steering leaks...;)

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

bridgermgmt

I've heard the I-4wd rattle as well. Let me know if you learn more, and I will too. 👍 Hits at about 30 mph and when more or less coasting.

I forgot about the Teryx noise. Sometimes I'd get out of the vehicle to hear myself think. The heat was often welcome on my rides. With the center mount shifter going straight down to the engine, we'd throw an old sleeping bag over the shifter and across our laps - never got cold. It ran perfect, but did have a couple of hiccups.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand

bridgermgmt

I've heard the I-4wd rattle as well. Let me know if you learn more, and I will too. 👍 Hits at about 30 mph and when more or less coasting.

I forgot about the Teryx noise. Sometimes I'd get out of the vehicle to hear myself think. The heat was often welcome on my rides. With the center mount shifter going straight down to the engine, we'd throw an old sleeping bag over the shifter and across our laps - never got cold. It ran perfect, but did have a couple of hiccups.

I will. Our local shop is backed up so I just make sure I am going faster than or slower than 28-32. I have heard drive line slop and a few other things But since I have the warranty, Ill let them chase it. Still wouldn't change a thing : )

Man, shutting off the Teryx was always needed to keep sane. On a few of our spots its a good 3-4 hour drive in and that constant drone and db was unreal. We would run foam ear plugs under our shooting headphones. Only plus side is it kept everyones mouth shut from complaining about the ride : )

I purchased my teryx during winter and post Polaris so at the time I was just desperate for something that doesn't break every 20 minutes. The heat was a non issue, and actually a plus until spring came. Then I realized how HOT it actually was. I was really not using it much for 6 months a year so changed things up. Also, I got one just before they did the hail marry suspension upgrades and nicer seats.

Reactions: 1border4manu
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
After 25 years of snowmobiling, I hope to never own another CVT, I grew to hate them. That left the YXZ and Talon. Yamaha has been trying to make that 5 speed work since they introduced it, many gear reduction attempts and the aftermarket is making a killing on different ideas. Not to mention the horrible 3 cylinder power band, all HP, no torque. All you have to do is watch a few youtube vids to see how bad they are in technical riding.

Honda introduced the Talon right as I aged out of dirt bikes, perfect timing for the next stage of my life and I'll get to keep exploring the back country for the rest of my life. Sure, I wish it had a better suspension like the KRX and I wish they'd delivered it with 32" tires and the appropriate gearing, the new minimum IMO. Adding larger tires isn't as easy with the geared driveline as it is with the CVT which only needs new ramps and springs.

But what I did end up with is a dual range, 6 speed, paddle shiftin' dirt kart that's more fun than I had ever imagined possible and orders of magnitude safer than the dirt bikes.

Note that the mechanical noise in a Talon is painful to me, I won't ride without foam earplugs, even inside my helmet. I've heard the KRX is also quite noisy. Hearing loss is permanent and progressive, it doesn't hurt and we ignore it until it's too late - tinnitus 24/7. #oleguy
An excellent essay. I've wondered about the Yamaha and you answered my questions.

I bought a new 1979 Yamaha 850 triple motorcycle many years ago. I quickly hated it and traded it back and bought a new Yamaha XS-1100 four-cylinder. The 1100 four was a good machine.

I think the Yamaha YZX is using a similar if not identical engine and drivetrain from the old motorcycle.

Reactions: Rayger143 and CID
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Very few, if any get on the web and post about how great & trouble free their "insert item here" is but almost everyone will get online & b!tch if they have one little hiccup. That can skew the overall perceived quality of "insert item here". It doesn't matter if you're shopping for a SxS or a widgit, if you base your internet research on what others say they'll all be garbage. Buy what you like and beat the living sh!t out of it, it's what they're made for.

I've got a '16 P500 with 4000 miles and a '19 T1Kx with around 3000 miles, none of which have been easy, I'm sorta the poster child for "Don't Buy Used!" They are toys, I do my best to maintain them well but show absolutely no mercy or f#cks when driving them......I have had ZERO breakdowns with either one.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!