GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
TN Isn’t too bad…I think it’s an issue of common sense riding on the streets. Some have it, some don’t. I got a plate on mine but I don’t have the required signals. That being said I don’t ride on roads where there’s a lot of traffic. I take the pooch to doggy day care about 2 miles down the road from the house. I “might” pass one car each direction. Have no desire to “head into town” in it where the traffic is though. Again…I have common sense.

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Our SxS are licensed as motorcycles, therefore no parking break required.

Here, you still can use hand signals so no turn signals required but they are recommended.

Can’t ride on Interstate.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'd like to go street legal just to stick it to the Fedaralies, there's thousands of acres of Hiawatha National Forest just to the East of us but the trails are only open to "Street Legal vehicles".
Man I like that about Idaho. 12$ plate and go, we’re not even plated most of the time.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'd like to go street legal just to stick it to the Fedaralies, there's thousands of acres of Hiawatha National Forest just to the East of us but the trails are only open to "Street Legal vehicles".

Here is an example of the stupidity of the Feds, trails w yellow highlight are open, trails w red highlights are closed unless street legal. They open little spurs off a trails that's closed and then claim they have miles of open trails. :mad:

This is why we mainly ride to the West, all state land and all open.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't. Ijust have a Hillbilly brake just cuz I wanted one for other things. Cost too much and too much red tape to be street legal here. If I need to ride the roads at my cabin, I just ride the shoulder like I'm allowed to as long as it's not a highway or an M/state road. You can ride where u want on dirt roads

Orv sticker and ride back roads. No plate fees and expensive insurance needed. It's not a JEEP 😉🙄🤣🤣

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with you Rem on the state of our state. However, the strict rules for street legalizing a SxS is not entirely due to the Michigan legislature - blame Polaris as well.

Friend of mine has inside contact with motorsports dealer association and he said that he was told that Michigan was one of 6 states that Polaris was doing heavy lobbying in to make it very difficult to street legal a SxS. Reason- Polaris wanted no part of the liability once someone had a head-on in a RZR to a semi. Polaris wanted rules wrote into Michigan's "built vehicle registration" law that made it almost impossible to street legal a SxS.

Now, I might catch a lot of flak from you guys on this, but I feel this is a great law. Think about it- all the vehicles on the road today with their safety systems and driver assist crap that has turned people into non-drivers. Throw a SxS into traffic now with a flimsy plastic body and a roll-over protection that has not been crash tested with cement barriers or cars. Count me out! Besides that, go north of St. Johns, MI (imaginary east-west line in the state) and with an ORV sticker, you can practically drive a SxS anywhere in northern MI., except M-highways, US highways and Interstates. Sorry, but my P5 would never keep up with traffic anyway.
Ever ride a motorcycle?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are there any do it yourself kits for a mechanical parking brake? can not be hydraulic or a brake pedal holder.

its a 2021 p1000-5 , a hillbilly brake cannot work in michigan. has to be a mechanical. D3 customs has a market, they don't sell the kits, they will install them. I like to do my own maintenance but i might not have a choice.
Or just simply plate the rig in another state.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our SxS are licensed as motorcycles, therefore no parking break required.

Here, you still can use hand signals so no turn signals required but they are recommended.

Can’t ride on Interstate.
Exactly.

my P1k5 is road legal in SD with license exactly as a motorcycle. it’s like 35 for the license and I carry the insurance on my farm insurance. Insurance for the year is something like $300.

SXS on dirt and country roads are as common as motorcycles on the highways.

A lot of people title their SXS or exotic cars ect in SD. I’ve even helped a few on this site.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Why not simply plate your rig in another state?
Because it's not that important, I have hundreds of thousands of acres to the west of me to ride. We can ride on the road in MI already with just an orv sticker, the only place I can't are those red highlighted trails on the Nat Forest, and because I'm generally a d!ckhead I'd love nothing more than to go flying by the USFS Ranger while flipping him the bird.......legally of course 😈

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Ran into the same issue you point out 906 out in South Dakota - federal land "trails" open to ORV and closed to ORV but open to "licensed vehicles". When my group rode out there in 2018, we looked into getting SD plates for our ATVs but decided not because even though it was easy, the additional equipment required cost out-weighed us only riding there for 4 days.

Vikes79 - no, I've not tried a motorcycle, too dangerous in my opinion. That and I'm too old to start breaking my body up on one. Have several guys that ride dirt bikes with my ATV group, and I always see them struggling way too much to keep one of those dirt bikes up-right in the sand that is 90% of Michigan trails.

As Smitty pointed out - which 906 answered - here in MI where all of the ORV trails and routes are you can ride the side of the road to get to and from the trailhead. Only need an ORV sticker for that. Really no need to go on any highways to get to anything.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The quote from D3 came back at $1025. That's installed, they don't sell kits.
I think thats the kit if i recall the guy I was referring too went with that was the only viable way to get it passed here after a few failed attempts with other methods. Part of what got him to that redickless cost to plate it.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I think thats the kit if i recall the guy I was referring too went with that was the only viable way to get it passed here after a few failed attempts with other methods. Part of what got him to that redickless cost to plate it.
Yup, I think he was their guinea pig for the kit

B

boOkerT

Apr 20, 2021
Bellingham, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Washington state the rig has to have the following: turn signals, horn, lighted license plate, tags one for off road and one for street legal, and lights must be on during travel. No going over 35 mph which means no hwy travel. That being said eastern Washington several counties allow travel on back country paved roads and as mentioned earlier common sense dictates usage.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!