P1000 First ride

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Took the new p1k5 out for the first time last night. Had the grand baby so we didn't go far, just cruised town and country roads 15 miles or so never got over 30 mph but was really happy with the ride. Smooth. Although I was told the transmission shifting was quieter and smoother on the 18's. Not the case. That is going to take some getting used to. Overall love it so far.

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took the new p1k5 out for the first time last night. Had the grand baby so we didn't go far, just cruised town and country roads 15 miles or so never got over 30 mph but was really happy with the ride. Smooth. Although I was told the transmission shifting was quieter and smoother on the 18's. Not the case. That is going to take some getting used to. Overall love it so far.
Congrats on the new ride, the noise eased up after 1st service

Reactions: O2bsmitty and sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What are you plans as far as accessories, if any?

Reactions: sharp
I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congratulations on the first ride, mine did get a lot quieter after the first service

Reactions: O2bsmitty
O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What are you plans as far as accessories, if any?
We have the Honda hard top, super atv flip up windshield, turn pro turn signals, cheap mirrors, that actually look good, some colored lights on interior and roof mounted stereo. So far.

Reactions: Koda and Smitty335
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's going to get better.

Reactions: Smitty335
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine is so quiet. Can hardly hear it shifting. So believe everyone when they say it gets better.

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok. Maybe dumb question but I did not get an owners manual with our bike, it's in the mail, but what I have heard is first service 20 hrs. After going thru the dash settings I found a count down from 100 so I did some searching on here and found a 100 mile service. We only have 8 hrs on it but 135 miles. Do I take it in now for first service or wait and split the difference so to say? At our putting around road riding rate will have 200 miles before we hit 20 hrs.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did my first service early. I like to get all of the "possible extras" out of the engine quickly. Then I did my next service at 600 miles and life is good. Definitely got a lot quieter after miles and the service.

advertisement
O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I did my first service early. I like to get all of the "possible extras" out of the engine quickly. Then I did my next service at 600 miles and life is good. Definitely got a lot quieter after miles and the service.
Ok. Thanks. Will get scheduled. Think I want dealer to do first service then probably do them myself.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok. Thanks. Will get scheduled. Think I want dealer to do first service then probably do them myself.

Exactly what I did. I have a SUPER dealer and I wanted to have the Honda experienced mechanics eyes go over mine just in case and from here on out..... it's my mistakes that I have to be worried about!

Reactions: O2bsmitty
N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have the Honda hard top, super atv flip up windshield, turn pro turn signals, cheap mirrors, that actually look good, some colored lights on interior and roof mounted stereo. So far.
Speaking of that SuperATV flip up windshield. Has anyone gone to that from a one piece and would you recommend it over a one piece? I'm not paying 600+ bucks for a Honda split windshield and I've heard the split is pretty high up in the viewing area and is annoying. The SuperATV flip up looks like the split is lower in the viewing area. Any one have some input?
Thanks.

W

WildTurkey

Feb 8, 2018
Nantahala NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
"Speaking of that SuperATV flip up windshield. Has anyone gone to that from a one piece and would you recommend it over a one piece? I'm not paying 600+ bucks for a Honda split windshield and I've heard the split is pretty high up in the viewing area and is annoying. The SuperATV flip up looks like the split is lower in the viewing area. Any one have some input?"

5'6'' driver, split is lower than my viewing area with the Honda split windshield.

Reactions: noisewater
N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Speaking of that SuperATV flip up windshield. Has anyone gone to that from a one piece and would you recommend it over a one piece? I'm not paying 600+ bucks for a Honda split windshield and I've heard the split is pretty high up in the viewing area and is annoying. The SuperATV flip up looks like the split is lower in the viewing area. Any one have some input?"

5'6'' driver, split is lower than my viewing area with the Honda split windshield.
Really? Ok so that's the first I've heard that. The Honda one just vents though correct? It doesn't open all the way like the SuperATV? Does that keep the swirling dust down when vented?

W

WildTurkey

Feb 8, 2018
Nantahala NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Really? Ok so that's the first I've heard that. The Honda one just vents though correct? It doesn't open all the way like the SuperATV? Does that keep the swirling dust down when vented?

Honda hinges at the top and opens about 4 inches at the bottom when open. I can't really help with the comparison. I run without a back glass or enclosure and don't eat dust, but what may be called swirling by some may be nothing to another.

Warm enough here now that I am ready to remove the top portion of the windshield and run with just the bottom in place during Summer.

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda hinges at the top and opens about 4 inches at the bottom when open. I can't really help with the comparison. I run without a back glass or enclosure and don't eat dust, but what may be called swirling by some may be nothing to another.

Warm enough here now that I am ready to remove the top portion of the windshield and run with just the bottom in place during Summer.
Thanks for the input. My main concern with the swirling crap is when riding anything over fun speed it creates a vacuum in there and in wet weather the inside of the windshield quickly gets coated with tiny mud particles and severely impairs vision. That's what pissed me off with my current one piece. The jackwagon saleseman told me it was a scratch resistant hard coat. It is definitely not. After my first ride on an 800 mile UP trip the damn thing was milky and scratched all to heck from wiping the inside down from that swirling crap that got on the inside. I hope that with a venting one or fully opening one it will erase that vacuum effect. Well, that and I will make damn sure my next one actually IS a hard coat, scratch resistant one. At least after I looked back on the receipt he didn't charge me for the good one.

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Speaking of that SuperATV flip up windshield. Has anyone gone to that from a one piece and would you recommend it over a one piece? I'm not paying 600+ bucks for a Honda split windshield and I've heard the split is pretty high up in the viewing area and is annoying. The SuperATV flip up looks like the split is lower in the viewing area. Any one have some input?
Thanks.
I went with the super atv because the reviews on here, the Honda doesn't flip open it just opens about 3" and has a lip to deflect the air out instead of in the cab and the price difference was a no brainer. You won't regret buying super atv, the airflow with it flipped open first notch is great the only thing i have found that im not completely satisfied with is how flimsy it is at the latch but thats an easy fix

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the input. My main concern with the swirling crap is when riding anything over fun speed it creates a vacuum in there and in wet weather the inside of the windshield quickly gets coated with tiny mud particles and severely impairs vision. That's what pissed me off with my current one piece. The jackwagon saleseman told me it was a scratch resistant hard coat. It is definitely not. After my first ride on an 800 mile UP trip the damn thing was milky and scratched all to heck from wiping the inside down from that swirling crap that got on the inside. I hope that with a venting one or fully opening one it will erase that vacuum effect. Well, that and I will make damn sure my next one actually IS a hard coat, scratch resistant one. At least after I looked back on the receipt he didn't charge me for the good one.
My superatv came with cleaning instructions. Anything but glass will scratch regardless of what it's supposed to be coated with if you treat it like glass.

Reactions: noisewater
advertisement