P1000 First service

J

Joey_silvestro

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I’m sure this has been brought up many times but can’t seem to find the thread on here. I’ve reached my 100 mile mark and am ready for first service on my p1000. Is it worth the $300 that my dealer just quoted me or just as simple as changing the oil?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your owners manual describes everything that needs to be done during each service.
Your skill level, vs your time vs what you want to spend will dictate whether you do the service or hire it out.
We have an oil change guide that gives step by step for an oil change. As well as a video one of our members uploaded to youtube.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
For me it was the ass ache to borrow a trailer, load the machine, drive 1.5 hrs to the stealership, unload the machine, wait 2 hrs for the service to be completed, load the machine back on the trailer, drive 1.5 hrs home, unload the machine, take the trailer back to guy I borrowed it from. That's a full day when I can change the oil myself for $70 in 30 minutes. Engine sounds great so I'm not worries about a valve adjustment so far.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has the cost of the first service skyrocketed for some reason, or are there just drastic price differences between dealerships? I paid $180 this time last year. Seems like everyone is paying $300+ now.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
If capable/time permitting, I suggest doing the work yourself. I enjoy cleaning my unit ahead of time, purchasing the materials and taking time to carefully look over the unit while making the service. I'm confident anyone doing the work themselves like looking under the unit and seeing what is going on for possible problems.

Reactions: Deluxe700
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So I’m sure this has been brought up many times but can’t seem to find the thread on here. I’ve reached my 100 mile mark and am ready for first service on my p1000. Is it worth the $300 that my dealer just quoted me or just as simple as changing the oil?
Yes and no, the owners manual doesn't spell out very clearly that there are two drain plugs, one on the side of the motor and one on the bottom, the rest is a breeze .

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Does doing the first service yourself effect the warranty?

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
No...I think it even says so in the owners manual..."warranty will not be affected if you do your own service"....It may be a good idea to document your service you do at home and keep receipts for parts..
Having said that...I DID take mine in for the 1st service..had them check the valves,check front end alignment, change oil and filter, etc. But I have done everything since.....

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Had the dealer do my first service and my second oil change was timed at my clutch upgrade. .

advertisement
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ditto. Even if you've never held a screwdriver in your whole life, there's a good chance you're just as qualified as the "tech" that's gonna perform your service.
Isnt that the truth. Rigjt after buying mine.i took it in to have the 4x4 cables adjusted...they had no idea the was a box under the floorboard. Then there is a whole long story about why i do all my own work now.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Isnt that the truth. Rigjt after buying mine.i took it in to have the 4x4 cables adjusted...they had no idea the was a box under the floorboard. Then there is a whole long story about why i do all my own work now.

Sounds like a very short story to me.

Reactions: GlockMeister
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I would certainly do it myself and there are many nice videos to assist you. The two things I would caution you on are: 1) be sure to get the oil filter inserted correctly and 2) do not over tighten/snap off the 3 small 8 or 10 mm bolts holding oil filter cover on. These are preventable with caution and attention to detail.

jasanders21

jasanders21

Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello guys first post here. I just bought a 1000-5 and did the first oil change myself. Is it required to change the sub transmission oil as well on the first service. I may have missed it, but when reading the manual all I saw was every 2 years for the sub transmission.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hello guys first post here. I just bought a 1000-5 and did the first oil change myself. Is it required to change the sub transmission oil as well on the first service. I may have missed it, but when reading the manual all I saw was every 2 years for the sub transmission.

Every 2 years is correct for sub transmission.
But many do it anyways.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: jasanders21
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Welcome, it’s easy to do while you’re doing an oil change on only requires a small additional amount of oil. Seeing as there is no filter it’s not a bad idea to go ahead and change it when you perform an oil change or every 2 years whichever is first.

Since I am making a mess anyway I change all the oil whenever I do it. Tree huggers might have a problem with that but I look at it as additional preventative maintenance.

jasanders21

jasanders21

Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the responses. I should have just done it with the first oil change. Seems easy enough to do. I will probably just go ahead and change it out one of these days in the near future. I do not trust stealerships.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!