P1000 First service

jasanders21

jasanders21

Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am now at about 130 miles and have noticed the rear gear whine I have read others post about. Others have told me they can hear the whinning before they can even see me coming. A friend of mine says it is just the transmission breaking in. I notice it only in high gear and mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear.

I read an old post about some people using heavier weight gear oil in the diffs and having success in quieting the whine down some.

Anyone have ideas or experience with this?

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am now at about 130 miles and have noticed the rear gear whine I have read others post about. Others have told me they can hear the whinning before they can even see me coming. A friend of mine says it is just the transmission breaking in. I notice it only in high gear and mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear.

I read an old post about some people using heavier weight gear oil in the diffs and having success in quieting the whine down some.

Anyone have ideas or experience with this?
I've reported on this before and I still stand by it...Honda differential gear whine will always be with you. They used straight cut gears (hypoid gears have been around since the 1930's so I'm at a loss as to why they didn't use hypoid gears like everyone else!)

Reactions: JTW and jasanders21
jasanders21

jasanders21

Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've reported on this before and I still stand by it...Honda differential gear whine will always be with you. They used straight cut gears (hypoid gears have been around since the 1930's so I'm at a loss as to why they didn't use hypoid gears like everyone else!)

Pretty disappointing considering how loud it is. I am hoping it quiets down over time or with some heavier weight fluid because it really is annoying and not what i expected from Honda.

jasanders21

jasanders21

Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty disappointing considering how loud it is. I am hoping it quiets down over time or with some heavier weight fluid because it really is annoying and not what i expected from Honda.
Apparently there is a guy that makes an internal gear reduction kit that gets rid of the whine altogether. Cost is like $850 though

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Apparently there is a guy that makes an internal gear reduction kit that gets rid of the whine altogether. Cost is like $850 though
Stay away from that. It is not a perfect solution. The components are weakened and a recipe for disaster.
@Kilo427
@snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Stay away from that. It is not a perfect solution. The components are weakened and a recipe for disaster.
@Kilo427
@snuffnwhisky
He is supposed to have a new gear in the next few weeks that matches the internal part of the oem gear. Its no quieter than the oem gear.

Reactions: jasanders21 and JTW
jasanders21

jasanders21

Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am close to 200 mile snow and it seems to be quieting down some. I am hoping it stays this way and doesn't reach the level it was at about 30 or so miles ago.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!