Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So I picked up some Mobil 1 75w 140 LS (limited slip) gear oil, and didn't notice the LS designation until I got home. Is there any harm in using the LS in the differentials?
No worries. And the P5's front diff essentially is like a LSD.

J

Jshell3

It is very easy to change the oil in the diffs. You will need a small plastic hose to put the oil in. On the front diff, I have to force the hose in a bit to get past the ring gear. If you just try to pour it in with a funnel, it will pour right back out at you. After only 120 miles, I changed my diff oil (front and rear). The oil that came out was "shiny" will tiny metal fragments from break-in. It's a good idea to change it out early!
Show me how. My bike is loud enough I returned it to dealer @ mile 260 for Honda to address a vibration rattle in front 4x4 final gear. The guy behind the counter (and not a mechanic) rode with me and said to change the front gear oil.
They will call me back in 3 weeks to see if the noise persists and to bring it in.
Best I can describe is a backlashing sound when the fronts and rears are turning at the same speed (or perhaps, not turning at exactly the same speeds).

So I'd be VERY interested to know more about front oil differentials and changing.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Show me how. My bike is loud enough I returned it to dealer @ mile 260 for Honda to address a vibration rattle in front 4x4 final gear. The guy behind the counter (and not a mechanic) rode with me and said to change the front gear oil.
They will call me back in 3 weeks to see if the noise persists and to bring it in.
Best I can describe is a backlashing sound when the fronts and rears are turning at the same speed (or perhaps, not turning at exactly the same speeds).

So I'd be VERY interested to know more about front oil differentials and changing.

Thanks!

You will need to buy one quart of good synthetic gear oil. Refer to your owners manual for the specs. It calls for 80w-90 GL-5 I believe, but verify that for yourself. You will also need a small plastic hose (around 1/2" OD) and a foot or two long. It needs to be somewhat flexible and attached to a funnel.
Drive your machine around for 15 mins or so to warm the oil.
Then remove the fill plug - it is located on the drivers side of the differential. Remove that first because if for some reason you can't get it out, you'll have no way to refill the diff. get a drain pan for under the diff. Remove the drain plug. It is located on the bottom of the front diff and you can access it without removing any (factory) skid plates or the bumper. I can't remember for sure, but I want to say it was a 15mm hex. Let that oil drain out for at least a half hour before re-installing the drain plug. If you can, just let it drain overnight.

Clean the drain plug and re-install it. Make sure you do not over torque it. Now you need to stick that plastic hose into the fill hole. if you look in the hole, you will see the ring gear. You need to push the hose in a little bit past the ring gear or the oil will come out of the fill hole instead of down into the diff. Pour the oil in SLOWLY. It should take a little more than half a quart, plus whatever you spill. Fill it until the oil starts running out of the fill hole. Re-install the fill plug, being careful not to over torque it. Clean up the mess and ride it.

It really is a very easy process as long as you make sure you have a plastic hose so you can get the oil in the diff.

J

Jshell3

You will need to buy one quart of good synthetic gear oil. Refer to your owners manual for the specs. It calls for 80w-90 GL-5 I believe, but verify that for yourself. You will also need a small plastic hose (around 1/2" OD) and a foot or two long. It needs to be somewhat flexible and attached to a funnel.
Then remove the fill plug - it is located on the drivers side of the differential. Remove that first because if for some reason you can't get it out, you'll have no way to refill the diff. get a drain pan for under the diff. Remove the drain plug. It is located on the bottom of the front diff and you can access it without removing any (factory) skid plates or the bumper. I can't remember for sure, but I want to say it was a 15mm hex. Let that oil drain out for at least a half hour before re-installing the drain plug. If you can, just let it drain overnight.

Clean the drain plug and re-install it. Make sure you do not over torque it. Now you need to stick that plastic hose into the fill hole. if you look in the hole, you will see the ring gear. You need to push the hose in a little bit past the ring gear or the oil will come out of the fill hole instead of down into the diff. Pour the oil in SLOWLY. It should take a little more than half a quart, plus whatever you spill. Fill it until the oil starts running out of the fill hole. Re-install the fill plug, being careful not to over torque it. Clean up the mess and ride it.

It really is a very easy process as long as you make sure you have a plastic hose so you can get the oil in the diff.
Got it.
Thanks,

J

Jshell3

Thank you so much. Here are some pics of my progress.

Image Image Image

Last edited by a moderator:
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not a bit.
But +1 to the process of elimination.
Did you notice any kind of shavings or filings in the oil you took out, hope you get this issue resolved, its nice to know you are under warranty

J

Jshell3

Did you notice any kind of shavings or filings in the oil you took out, hope you get this issue resolved, its nice to know you are under warranty
Oil looked clean. I made an effort to look... (seeing a previous post from a member about finding the shavings, so it was on my mind to check)

It's definitely nothing major, whatever it is... a buzzing vibration. More of a nuisance more than anything.

Reactions: iowaguy
advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

You're the man ehart! I remember you walked me through mine too. Flexible hose on funnel was the best tip.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Oil looked clean. I made an effort to look... (seeing a previous post from a member about finding the shavings, so it was on my mind to check)

It's definitely nothing major, whatever it is... a buzzing vibration. More of a nuisance more than anything.

Well, mine sure does plenty of buzzing and vibrating... these pioneers are noisy little buggers. I try to get used to it, but I always find myself listening. At least now you know how to change that fluid. Probably doesn't need changed as much as the engine oil, but if you run in deep water or mud you should change it out. I should probably change my rear diff fluid now that i'm thinking about it.... I've probably gone 1000 miles since changing it. lol I use Amsoil, and I 95% of my miles are just dirt roads so I don't do it really often.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

By the way, I found one source of noise that I had been hunting down. If you look at the front part of your drivers side rear fender you will see a black plastic thing attached by a plastic push pin. That's your air intake. Mine vibrates against the fender and makes a really annoying noise. For a while I thought it was engine noise. You can reach back and touch it while you are driving (be careful). Check and see if that's making noise for you too.

Reactions: rocmar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Reactions: trigger and monaco
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I assume it's usually OK to go with thicker oil?

I went to a Honda dealer and told them I needed the oil and filter for a P5. Got home and noticed he gave me 10w40.
I think it was @joeymt33 that posted a spec sheet on oil and there is little, to no, difference between 30 and 40 weight.
Like monte said, just make sure it's JASO.

Reactions: monaco
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
By the way, I found one source of noise that I had been hunting down. If you look at the front part of your drivers side rear fender you will see a black plastic thing attached by a plastic push pin. That's your air intake. Mine vibrates against the fender and makes a really annoying noise. For a while I thought it was engine noise. You can reach back and touch it while you are driving (be careful). Check and see if that's making noise for you too.
I took mine off
put hot glue on...
it.put back on...no noise

Reactions: monaco

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!