BOX1

P500 First-time DIY Light bar install

W

wtmcminn

Aug 10, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
First timer here. Be gentle...Just got a 2022 Honda Pioneer 520, and have started in on a few additions. I have installed the 'accessory harness' everyone talks about, as well as a volt meter that I connected to one of the 'fingers' on that harness. The yellow one.

Next, I have ordered a Tusk LED light bar kit from Rocky Mountain ATV, with all the wiring harness, clamps, screws, etc included. My question is, can I simply take the red/black leads from the light bar harness and wire it directly to the accessory harness on the 520? Similar to how I wired in the voltmeter? I only use this machine for hunting/ranch crawling, and won't need the lights without the motor running.

Or do I have to run those leads directly to the battery? That looks like a lot more trouble for a newbie...

Thanks for any help.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
First timer here. Be gentle...Just got a 2022 Honda Pioneer 520, and have started in on a few additions. I have installed the 'accessory harness' everyone talks about, as well as a volt meter that I connected to one of the 'fingers' on that harness. The yellow one.

Next, I have ordered a Tusk LED light bar kit from Rocky Mountain ATV, with all the wiring harness, clamps, screws, etc included. My question is, can I simply take the red/black leads from the light bar harness and wire it directly to the accessory harness on the 520? Similar to how I wired in the voltmeter? I only use this machine for hunting/ranch crawling, and won't need the lights without the motor running.

Or do I have to run those leads directly to the battery? That looks like a lot more trouble for a newbie...

Thanks for any help.
Depends on how much current the light bar pulls but I would use a relay either way. I think the harness is only fused for about 15 amps and if you end up adding other stuff (wich you probably will) it could add up.

Welcome to the club from East Tennessee.
We really like pictures here.
Red is the fastest.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What length of light bar? 12 inch?

72w should be ok. = 6 amps.
Lights usually pull less than what they listed at.

It would work.
Our light bar is the same W's and we use that circuit.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

W

wtmcminn

Aug 10, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
thanks for the quick help gentlemen. and thanks for the well wishes...This forum looks like it is very active, and full of expertise. I found a youtube video of a guy putting a similar 12" light bar and wiring into the "harness" on the white taped finger and all seems to work. I am simply getting this buggy ready to hunt for the upcoming season, and if I end up wanting more mods/winch, I will likely have to get someone to do that work for me, although I am intrigued with the battery pack and getting cabling from the front to the back of that machine...that could be an off-season project when I can afford to make a mistake. Anyway, I think I'll move forward with you alls help...

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Alabama.
As @Red500 stated, I also like to use a relay for lighting. While not absolutely needed in your application, I like the added peace of mind using a relay. If you're not sure how to wire relay, here is a quick schematic.
Relay Wire

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Thanks for any help.
Welcome from NW Arkansas!

OlYeller15

OlYeller15

Jan 30, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks for any help.
Welcome from NE Ga…Let the good times roll!

D

Danno357

Jan 11, 2021
Fort Atkinson Wi
Ownership

1. 700-2
Looks awesome! I did something similar then got the “back up beeper “ swap out plug and hooked up some nice reverse lights with the relay too. It’s just a good idea. Nicely done and welcome from northern Wisconsin!

AD357B01 9134 4401 9269 B1E6E6240029 9EF9A07E 397C 4A3C B9CA F6C8003AEDC1

D

Dj2833

Jul 31, 2020
Suffolk County, NY
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from NY. Looks great. Wires add up space quick right? I started out wanting overhead light bar… then before you know it you’ve installed a full dual battery system, multiple switches, relays and lights, winch, fuse panel etc.. couldn’t help myself 😀
Bought Rigidhorse 32inch LED Bar off Amazon.

A8DD43F0 5A02 440E B37C 632F28C39BCB

Attachments

• 352789-88ce1ace5536e61ab06310dd8e675a8c.mp4
    1.3 MB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!