WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually the Cummins 6.7 engine requires very little maintenance.

I bought a new Ram 3500 cab and chassis in 2008 and drove it 235,000 miles. I changed the fuel filter every 15,000 miles as suggested by the maintenance schedule. I sold it to a friend back in Texas about 2 - 2 1/2 years ago and strongly advised him to do the same. Over the past weekend his son took it to Douglas, WY to deliver a late '60s Plymouth Barracuda and he picked up a '39 Ford convertible with small block Chevy on the way home. He sent me photos including the instrument panel. My old Dodge had over 292,000 miles on it when he got home to Lubbock.

The truck has had two water pumps replaced and NO other maintenance. Just routine preventive maintenance. Oil and filter changed every 10k and fuel filter changed every 15k. Cummins turbodiesel engines are extremely rugged and reliable.

If you say you prefer Fords that's your business. It's simply nonsense to claim the Dodge platform is not reliable. I've owned three of them for a total of almost 1,000,000 miles pulling trailers. I've replaced a two water pumps, two ac compressors, shock absorbers on each truck one time, and brake pads on one. I've never had a failure of a truck or cab part.

Oops, I forgot one. The second Dodge Ram, an '06 3500 pickup with MOPAR automatic transmission, had a rear seal failure that was replaced under warranty by a dealer.
A lot has changed since 2008

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A lot has changed since 2008
Like what? It's the exact same Cummins 6.7 introduced in 2007. Cosmetic changes to the Ram platform.

There have always been a few fools who ignore critical preventive maintenance or pump gasoline into their tank then lie and deny it. Some of them may have equipment failures.

I owned a 2001 Ram with Cummins 5.9 liter, 24 valve, a 2006 ISB5.9 liter HPCR (high pressure common rail), and a 2008 ISB6.7 liter HPCR. 325k miles on the '01, 235k mies on the '06, and 235k now 292k miles on the '08. Have never replace an injector injection pump, turbo, or internal component.

Reactions: Plumber32 and ChadD
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like what? It's the exact same Cummins 6.7 introduced in 2007.

DEF, or as I call it Obama fluid. It's the worst thing they ever did with all of these diesels

• Sad
Reactions: CID and ChadD
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I agree completely with that.

But I haven't heard of faillures on Cummins engines. Have you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber32 and ChadD
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 7.3 was innercooled from 99 1/2 through 2003 when ford ceased using them and went to the 6 no. The 94-98 Powerstroke was a 7.3 but not innercooled. International built fords‘ diesels until they started building their own 6.7.
And gm 3.0 duramax is an inline 6. And it's a little beast.

Reactions: Rayger143 and ChadD
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All modern diesels are requiring strong maintenance on the fuel supply side and DEF…no different that what you already experience. I change my fuel filters every 2nd oil change on my 2016.

with all the emissions etc, they all stink to work on anymore. This is why most businesses etc are going back to gas engines in their work trucks. It’s also why Ford designed a new big block gas engine in 2021….the 7.3 gas v8.
So, is that a better way to go than a diesel these days? Fuel is certainly cheaper. But i guess it is too soon the verify if you could get better mileage and longevity out of the engine itself?

Reactions: ChadD
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, is that a better way to go than a diesel these days? Fuel is certainly cheaper. But i guess it is too soon the verify if you could get better mileage and longevity out of the engine itself?
Kinda depends on which piper you want to pay.

Gasser will have less upkeep but higher fuel consumption but lower upfront cost. Diesel will be better fuel mileage, better towing experience but higher maintenance and upfront costs.

For longevity you need to be thinking 200k plus miles..modern gas engines with basic maintenance make that easily and have for a few decades now.

IMO, any more less than 30% towing time isn’t making sense to have a diesel anymore financially. It’s purely a want in my view. My 16 F350 (86k mi) sits unless it’s towing, and my ‘03 F150 (36k miles) is my run about truck. Both my vehicles are paid off, but if I had to buy a new one…it would likely be a gas F350 with the 7.3l gas engine and ten speed automatic.

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Diesel engines are always more expensive to purchase but if the owner works them for many years accumulating high miles or hours, their resale value is also much higher than for a gasoline engine.

A diesel engine provides a service life several times greater than a gasoline engine. The diesel engine is much more robust when built because it operates with about 14:1 compression ratio. That means stronger crankshaft, rods, pistons, etc. and diesel fuel is a lubricant so piston rings and cylinder walls wear very slowly compared to gasoline engines.

Diesel fuel contains significantly more energy than an equivalent amount of gasoline so fuel consumption is less.

An inline four or six cylinder diesel engine normally has a much longer stroke than a gas motor producing massive torque at or slightly above idle rpm so it runs slower which also minimizes wear.

Sadly, our leftwing children who live in apartments in San Francisco, NY, and DC and ride bicycles o work don't like diesel engines so diesel fuel is taxed higher than gasoline and diesel car manufacturers are harassed by our stupid government. Diesel fuel powers far more cars and trucks In Europe and Asia than in the US.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
No such thing. 6.9IDI. Powerstroke was introduced in 93.5. 7.3 IDI, 7.3 Idi turbo were before the powerstroke.

Okay, you're arguing about labels. Maybe I've forgotten now. I thought the Navistar diesel used in a Ford was always known as Powerstroke.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Rayger, you were correct. I mistakenly applied the Power Stroke label to the old 6.9 and the pre-turbo 7.3 litter bus motors.

This source appears to be a Ford Power Stoke diesel n enthusiast's site and knowledgeable.

The site states the Power Stroke was introduced for model year 1994 and was offered until 2003 when the Navistar Sick.Ohh disaster was offered.

I think the Power Stroke name was introduced when the old Navistar school bus motor got a turbocharger. Before the turbo, it was a dog. Dead slow.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!