HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A great question, OP. You are on the right path. A lot of knowledgeable replies are here.

Excuse me while I step up on my soapbox. My first truck was in 1964 with an old used '55 GMC Suburban with factory original Pontiac V8 and a GM Hydramatic transmission. I bought a new Chevy long bed 1/2 ton in 1968 and a new '70 Chevy 2500 w/350 gas V8 then a '76 Ford F250 w/gas V8 which was the weakest, slowest engine ever built. Then I had a '94 Ford F250 w/gas 460 also slow and weak but a nice truck overall.

The first truck I ever loved was a new 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 dually w/Cummins HO 6speed. I put 325,000 miles on it as an RV transporter working out of Elkhart, IN. Next I owned an '06 Ram 3500 dually with MOPAR automatic then last, a 2008 Ram 3500 cab and chassis dually with 6 speed Aisin transmission. I put 235,000 miles on the '06 and, coincidentally, 228,000 on the '08 which I sold to friends back in Texas last fall.

To say that I am biased in favor of Dodge-Cummins trucks would be an understatement. My advice is simple, But a Dodge Ram 3500 srw with Cummins and Aisin.

The most common mistake made by new diesel truck owners is to buy a Class II (3/4 on) with a turbodiesel motor thinking they can haul or tow anything. They quickly learn they made an expensive mistake. A Class II diesel pickup with turbodiesel motor can pull anything a dually or 4500/5500 truck can pull but the 3/4 ton lacks the payload (carrying capacity) to carry much more than groceries.

Don't take my word for it, go snoop around dealer lots and study brochures for yourself. A typical 3/4 ton has a GVWR of 9900 lbs. A 4x4 pickup with diesel probably weighs 6500 - 7000 lbs with driver, passenger, full fuel tank, a spare wheel and tire, and a few tools. It does not have sufficient payload for a slide-in truck camper, the kingpin weight of a fifth wheel camper, or a gooseneck working trailer.

A single rear wheel one ton can go anywhere and park anywhere a 3/4 ton can go. The one ton will cost very little more than the 3/4. The one ton may ride a little stiffer but not much. The suspension of modern trucks is much improved over my last new one.

Diesel trucks are very expensive but if maintained they will run forever and resale value of one is many times greater than for used gas guzzler. There is simply no comparison between diesel and gas when you hang a big heavy camper or trailer on the back and start up a steep grade.

Unfortunately, 2021 is one of the worst years in the history of powerful turbodiesel engines in light trucks to buy one. The pandemic shutdowns followed by a worldwide shortage of semiconductor chips stopped truck production down for months. Dealers are going broke because they have nothing to sell but much of their overhead continues regardless. If a dealer even has a ruck you want they would be nuts to discount it when they are selling five cars per month. Now we have a senile fool in the White House causing record inflation which is increasing prices of everything we buy.

Can you wait for awhile, at least until production is restored? If not perhaps you can buy a clean used truck. Just steer clear of a truck that has been altered with a performance box, chip, or "desmogged."

Stepping down.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A great question, OP. You are on the right path. A lot of knowledgeable replies are here.

Excuse me while I step up on my soapbox. My first truck was in 1964 with an old used '55 GMC Suburban with factory original Pontiac V8 and a GM Hydramatic transmission. I bought a new Chevy long bed 1/2 ton in 1968 and a new '70 Chevy 2500 w/350 gas V8 then a '76 Ford F250 w/gas V8 which was the weakest, slowest engine ever built. Then I had a '94 Ford F250 w/gas 460 also slow and weak but a nice truck overall.

The first truck I ever loved was a new 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 dually w/Cummins HO 6speed. I put 325,000 miles on it as an RV transporter working out of Elkhart, IN. Next I owned an '06 Ram 3500 dually with MOPAR automatic then last, a 2008 Ram 3500 cab and chassis dually with 6 speed Aisin transmission. I put 235,000 miles on the '06 and, coincidentally, 228,000 on the '08 which I sold to friends back in Texas last fall.

To say that I am biased in favor of Dodge-Cummins trucks would be an understatement. My advice is simple, But a Dodge Ram 3500 srw with Cummins and Aisin.

The most common mistake made by new diesel truck owners is to buy a Class II (3/4 on) with a turbodiesel motor thinking they can haul or tow anything. They quickly learn they made an expensive mistake. A Class II diesel pickup with turbodiesel motor can pull anything a dually or 4500/5500 truck can pull but the 3/4 ton lacks the payload (carrying capacity) to carry much more than groceries.

Don't take my word for it, go snoop around dealer lots and study brochures for yourself. A typical 3/4 ton has a GVWR of 9900 lbs. A 4x4 pickup with diesel probably weighs 6500 - 7000 lbs with driver, passenger, full fuel tank, a spare wheel and tire, and a few tools. It does not have sufficient payload for a slide-in truck camper, the kingpin weight of a fifth wheel camper, or a gooseneck working trailer.

A single rear wheel one ton can go anywhere and park anywhere a 3/4 ton can go. The one ton will cost very little more than the 3/4. The one ton may ride a little stiffer but not much. The suspension of modern trucks is much improved over my last new one.

Diesel trucks are very expensive but if maintained they will run forever and resale value of one is many times greater than for used gas guzzler. There is simply no comparison between diesel and gas when you hang a big heavy camper or trailer on the back and start up a steep grade.

Unfortunately, 2021 is one of the worst years in the history of powerful turbodiesel engines in light trucks to buy one. The pandemic shutdowns followed by a worldwide shortage of semiconductor chips stopped truck production down for months. Dealers are going broke because they have nothing to sell but much of their overhead continues regardless. If a dealer even has a ruck you want they would be nuts to discount it when they are selling five cars per month. Now we have a senile fool in the White House causing record inflation which is increasing prices of everything we buy.

Can you wait for awhile, at least until production is restored? If not perhaps you can buy a clean used truck. Just steer clear of a truck that has been altered with a performance box, chip, or "desmogged."

Stepping down.
Very valid points.

typically any srw 3/4 or 1 ton runs outta payload super fast.

It’s how I ended up in a Dually ‘19 Ram 3500 for pulling my toyhauler. Too much trailer driving the 16 F350 6.7 srw I used to have.

🍻🍻

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
That’s awesome neighbor! Pics🤗
Pretty excited haha...
IMG 0472 20210710 111156

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Very valid points.

typically any srw 3/4 or 1 ton runs outta payload super fast.

It’s how I ended up in a Dually ‘19 Ram 3500 for pulling my toyhauler. Too much trailer driving the 16 F350 6.7 srw I used to have.

🍻🍻
I agree completely. That would have been my honest advice but it's often hard to convince a buyer accustomed to half ton pickup to simply go big and buy the dually. I was driving a Ford F250 460 gas when I visited my neighborhood Ram dealer and asked to test drive a Ram 2500 with the Cummins HO and 6 speed. The salesman said he only had a one ton which was a dually then. I drove the dually and was stunned to realize the '01 Dodge Ram 3500 rode, handled, maneuvered at walk speed, and stopped easier and quicker then my Ford 3/4 ton. Not to mention towing power and durability. I had no idea!

My wife who is normally reasonable threw a fit when I told her I was going to buy a drw truck. She could not be convinced. I finally told her she didn't have to ride in it but I was going to buy it. She got over it pretty quickly.

After my first test drive in that Dodge dually I never looked back. I had never owned or wanted a Dodge. I wanted the Cummins. Now I would own nothing else.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree completely. That would have been my honest advice but it's often hard to convince a buyer accustomed to half ton pickup to simply go big and buy the dually. I was driving a Ford F250 460 gas when I visited my neighborhood Ram dealer and asked to test drive a Ram 2500 with the Cummins HO and 6 speed. The salesman said he only had a one ton which was a dually then. I drove the dually and was stunned to realize the '01 Dodge Ram 3500 rode, handled, maneuvered at walk speed, and stopped easier and quicker then my Ford 3/4 ton. Not to mention towing power and durability. I had no idea!

My wife who is normally reasonable threw a fit when I told her I was going to buy a drw truck. She could not be convinced. I finally told her she didn't have to ride in it but I was going to buy it. She got over it pretty quickly.

After my first test drive in that Dodge dually I never looked back. I had never owned or wanted a Dodge. I wanted the Cummins. Now I would own nothing else.
For sure!

I bought my dually half way thru a camping trip cause I was tired of having a death grip on the wheel in SD winds.

My wife was pissed, but was sold in the first 10mi of pulling the TH home on the return trip.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Congratulations!
Congrats!

Welcome to the compression ignition world!
Thanks guys!!
Nice! Good looking truck. Went with the big C🤗
Well?
It's off the charts haha...so happy. There is literally no comparison to the old Chevy. Got 18.1 mpg on the way home from Idaho and was just incredible going over the passes and bigger hills. The things a freight traiin. I'm on the bandwagon for sure now 🤣

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys!!

It's off the charts haha...so happy. There is literally no comparison to the old Chevy. Got 18.1 mpg on the way home from Idaho and was just incredible going over the passes and bigger hills. The things a freight traiin. I'm on the bandwagon for sure now 🤣
Sounds like you’ve already learned that your diesel truck isn’t afraid of any hills. 😎

Wait till you put a trailer behind it.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These trucks have come a long way, my last 3/4 was a 2007 F250 with the 5.4 and I swore if I ever bought another that it would be diesel. Fast forward and I now have a 2020 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and absolutely love it. I get 18-21mpg empty and on my last trip to Tennessee pulling a 22’ dual axle with 2 P1k5D’s I got 11.3mpg. Unless I buy something super heavy, I’ll be sticking with the gas engine but the Cummins definitely has its place depending on what you pull.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Went through the same thing recently myself. Had a 1/2 ton that handled it but sometimes felt like it was laboring. Came to the conclusion that all these big trucks are fuel pigs so it comes down to what you're hauling and what you want. I don't haul anything super heavy and prefer the growl of a big V8 so I went with a gasser.
I know, more power and torque but I never would've gotten used to the sound of that train whistle. 😁

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Great looking truck!
The train...now that's funny! Got some for mine not long ago, sold the stockers for $1200. Good looking truck Rusty! :cool:
Thanks fellas! Still feel like I'm in dream land.

I was trying to figure out how much to put the stockers on Craigslist for...was thinking $800 but I like $1200 more haha. I need to sell the Honda wheels/tires also...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
These trucks have come a long way, my last 3/4 was a 2007 F250 with the 5.4 and I swore if I ever bought another that it would be diesel. Fast forward and I now have a 2020 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and absolutely love it. I get 18-21mpg empty and on my last trip to Tennessee pulling a 22’ dual axle with 2 P1k5D’s I got 11.3mpg. Unless I buy something super heavy, I’ll be sticking with the gas engine but the Cummins definitely has its place depending on what you pull.
11.3😳

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!