Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going on 5 years in mine and just had the 1st issue, the soot sensor failed. Covered under the power train warranty. $178 part through the dealer about $50 online lol

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Ive heard that nonsense about the Dodge platform for years. It's just the lies that Ford/GM owners tell themselves and each other to convince themselves their GM/Ford diesel truck is the better choice. I think most Ford & GM owners actually know the Cummins engine is far better but for reasons no stronger then a preference for GM or Ford products.

I've owned a 2001 Dodge-Cummins HO 6 speed dually - 325,000 miles, a 2006 Dodge-Cummins HPCR 5.9 with MOPAR 4 speed automatic dually - 235,000 miles, and a 2008 Dodge-Cummins 6.7 liter HPCR with Aisin 6 speed automatic dab and chassis dually - 240,000 miles with me now 300,000 owned by my old friends back in Lubbock, TX. None have ever had a single engine or platform failure other than a couple of water pumps. Have never replaced an injection pump, injector, or internal part.

I've never even replaced an electric window lift, door handle, front end component like tie rods, ball joints, etc. The front sealed hubs on 2wd Rams need to be replaced at about 200k miles and the first set of shocks are worn by 60k miles.

The old bs about how the cabs rattle or the doors get loose or hardware fails are simply false.

Ram trucks are far more reliable than GM and Furd.

The only thing a Furd or GM diesel excels is acceleration. The shorter stroke V8 winds quicker than a long stroke inline 6 cylinder. But who buys a turbodiesel truck to drag race?

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everyone keeps talking about the Cummins instead of the truck it is in…..Dodge. Dodge is the problem. Also when we talk about miles we continue to talk about an over the road delivery truck. That is not near as hard on the truck and motor as bouncing around on construction job sites in 4x4 and pulling things out that are stuck in a mud pit. Over the road spends most of its time at a constant rpm. Not being beat shifting all day long running around a job site. Then throw our 18-25 yo kids in it and have them tow and deliver materials on top of that. The Cummins will hold up to that but the Dodge doesn’t. The facts for what I am saying are in our repair bills and my mechanics advice, who is a dodge guy. He has admitted a dodge will not last as long with the day to day abuse in Illinois (salt all winter) we put on it. If I was going to be an over the road transit guy, I would definitely get a Cummins, probably the best in the business for that work!! Different tools for different jobs.

Stilantis 🤦‍♂️. Hasn't been Dodge for awhile. 😉🙄🤣

Reactions: Smitty335
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Everyone keeps talking about the Cummins instead of the truck it is in…..Dodge. Dodge is the problem. Also when we talk about miles we continue to talk about an over the road delivery truck. That is not near as hard on the truck and motor as bouncing around on construction job sites in 4x4 and pulling things out that are stuck in a mud pit. Over the road spends most of its time at a constant rpm. Not being beat shifting all day long running around a job site. Then throw our 18-25 yo kids in it and have them tow and deliver materials on top of that. The Cummins will hold up to that but the Dodge doesn’t. The facts for what I am saying are in our repair bills and my mechanics advice, who is a dodge guy. He has admitted a dodge will not last as long with the day to day abuse in Illinois (salt all winter) we put on it. If I was going to be an over the road transit guy, I would definitely get a Cummins, probably the best in the business for that work!! Different tools for different jobs.
Your brother-in-law's uncle's girlfriend's lesbian buddy . . . and your mechanic said . . . That's all bs. It means nothing.

Facts talk and bs walks!

Have you ever owned a Dodge Ram platform? I have. I've had nothing but outstanding service.

Spend some time on the interstate highways of our country and see what's on the road and in the fuel stops. Hotshotters and RV transporters are far more often to be driving Dodge Rams with Cummins engines.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Spend some time on the interstate highways of our country and see what's on the road and in the fuel stops. Hotshotters and RV transporters are far more often to be driving Dodge Rams with Cummins engines.
I think on the contrary you need to come up here and see how they hold up. Most of the RV transporters are Fords here. Rams start to rot with the sound of a salt truck firing up in these parts lol.

Came here an visit and Ill arrange a visit to the Chrysler proving grounds 10miles from my house with my friend thats an executive engineer there. Youll either be amazed or get rock hard. Ive been there 1/2 dozen times for events shes invited us to. Talking to the Ram builders,they all hate the Asian and some cummins things they are forced to do, again, they make a nice “looking” truck and it wouldnt be 💩 if they didnt have that cummins fo sho! Will see for how much longer that marriage is after this EPA debacle. Our friend is tight lipped about it BTW.🤔
I was amazed at what they were doing, in the same token not surprised of the what I call subpar quality stds.
She tries to give me one of her discounts for a truck, Ive looked at them hard (NoHmo) a few times and I just cant get over that quality issue and what the builders say. Quite damming. Like I said before, there is a reason 90% of the employee trucks are not Rams over there😉

I did take her up on that offer on a Wrangler Sahara for my wife. It was in the shop for electrical issues more than it was on the road and a split casing differential @20k that Chrysler told us was a factory defect! Sweet! Never again. Hard to overcome these. But if your happy, eat your hart out. Thats all that matters.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ive heard that nonsense about the Dodge platform for years. It's just the lies that Ford/GM owners tell themselves and each other to convince themselves their GM/Ford diesel truck is the better choice. I think most Ford & GM owners actually know the Cummins engine is far better but for reasons no stronger then a preference for GM or Ford products.

I've owned a 2001 Dodge-Cummins HO 6 speed dually - 325,000 miles, a 2006 Dodge-Cummins HPCR 5.9 with MOPAR 4 speed automatic dually - 235,000 miles, and a 2008 Dodge-Cummins 6.7 liter HPCR with Aisin 6 speed automatic dab and chassis dually - 240,000 miles with me now 300,000 owned by my old friends back in Lubbock, TX. None have ever had a single engine or platform failure other than a couple of water pumps. Have never replaced an injection pump, injector, or internal part.

I've never even replaced an electric window lift, door handle, front end component like tie rods, ball joints, etc. The front sealed hubs on 2wd Rams need to be replaced at about 200k miles and the first set of shocks are worn by 60k miles.

The old bs about how the cabs rattle or the doors get loose or hardware fails are simply false.

Ram trucks are far more reliable than GM and Furd.

The only thing a Furd or GM diesel excels is acceleration. The shorter stroke V8 winds quicker than a long stroke inline 6 cylinder. But who buys a turbodiesel truck to drag race?
I agree with you. When you add more and more electronics more and more power reliability goes down. I see a lot of YouTube videos with terrible shuttering in the 10 speeds, ect. Only realistic complaint that you can do on the ram platform was in and around 03. The trans wasn't great. Since Mercedes started designing them they're just as good if not better than anything else.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I agree with you. When you add more and more electronics more and more power reliability goes down. I see a lot of YouTube videos with terrible shuttering in the 10 speeds, ect. Only realistic complaint that you can do on the ram platform was in and around 03. The trans wasn't great. Since Mercedes started designing them they're just as good if not better than anything else.
Agreed. The old MOPAR automatic was strong enough behind early ISB5.9 engines but crude and not strong enough to handle the torque output of the ISB6.7. Anyone who criticizes the Aisin is doing something wrong.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agreed. The old MOPAR automatic was strong enough behind early ISB5.9 engines but crude and not strong enough to handle the torque output of the ISB6.7. Anyone who criticizes the Aisin is doing something wrong.
Rumors are they are dropping both diesel transmissions for the 8 speed.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Rumors are they are dropping both diesel transmissions for the 8 speed.
Who will manufacture thee 8 speed?

Few Americans know that Aisin, a Japonese company, actually produces the automatic transmissions in many US, Japanese, and German cars and trucks.

Some time after WWII, when Japan was in ruins following the atomic bombs dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima,, Borg-Warner, an American automatic transmission company that made the Fordomatic automatic that was also used in Hudsons, Ppackards, Studebakers, Mercurys, Lincolns, formed a joint venture with Aisin to help Japan recover. Eventually the company became Aisin-Warner and then, Aisin. Aisin builds great products including the Ram transmission behind the most powerful Cummins engines.

I rented three Penske 26' box trucks in summer of 2018 to move ourselves from Texas to WV. The Penske trucks were a pleasure to drive. They had Cummins 6.7L engines and, I believe, Aisin transmissions. They behaved exactly as the ISB6.7-Aisin combination in my '08 Ram C&C.

Development, testing, and manufacturing of an entirely new product costs $100M or more. I would be surprised if someone other than Aisin built the rumored new 8 speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: CID and Smitty335
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only thing missing from this thread is someone that owns and drives a 7.3 every day. After 18,000 miles in the last 10 months I've found it tows way better than the 5.0 F150 it replaced, it rides nice and the price was right. For the cost of a 6.7, I opted for a platinum tremor instead. In a place where it's below zero a good portion of the year, the heated massage seats and heated steering wheel were more important. The bigger bed is nice and you really can't beat a 1 ton with adaptive cruise for a 2000 miles trip with a trailer. Zero regrets

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I think on the contrary you need to come up here and see how they hold up. Most of the RV transporters are Fords here. Rams start to rot with the sound of a salt truck firing up in these parts lol.

Came here an visit and Ill arrange a visit to the Chrysler proving grounds 10miles from my house with my friend thats an executive engineer there. Youll either be amazed or get rock hard. Ive been there 1/2 dozen times for events shes invited us to. Talking to the Ram builders,they all hate the Asian and some cummins things they are forced to do, again, they make a nice “looking” truck and it wouldnt be 💩 if they didnt have that cummins fo sho! Will see for how much longer that marriage is after this EPA debacle. Our friend is tight lipped about it BTW.🤔
I was amazed at what they were doing, in the same token not surprised of the what I call subpar quality stds.
She tries to give me one of her discounts for a truck, Ive looked at them hard (NoHmo) a few times and I just cant get over that quality issue and what the builders say. Quite damming. Like I said before, there is a reason 90% of the employee trucks are not Rams over there😉

I did take her up on that offer on a Wrangler Sahara for my wife. It was in the shop for electrical issues more than it was on the road and a split casing differential @20k that Chrysler told us was a factory defect! Sweet! Never again. Hard to overcome these. But if your happy, eat your hart out. Thats all that matters.
I've never owned a basic Jeep CJ or a Wrangler, but my wife has owned two Jeep Grand Cherokees. The first, a 2014 Overlander V6, was almost perfect until we traded it in @ 60k miles. It had a radiator with a leaking seam and a dealer replaced it under warranty. Other than that it had only routine service. The 2nd and current one is a 2020 Summit hemi V8 with only about 30k miles. It's had only several free engine oil and filter changes. Never any kind of an issue.

I've been to and through Michigan many times. From about 1997 through 2022, I've visited Sault Ste. Marie every summer and have an old friend, a retired Michigan State Police Det. Sgt. and fellow Conservative like myself that I've visited there.

I've been to the Henry Ford Museum several times, Greenfield Village twice, and the Chrysler Museum at Ann Arbor two or three times.

I don't recall seeing any rusted Dodge Rams but may have missed them. It's strange that Dodge Rams rust but Furds and GMs don't even though they made from the same steel that came from the same Minnesota iron mines.

Anecdotal stories about one or two examples of car/truck brands manufactured among millions of identical models aren't very convincing. Some drivers could break a steam locomotive.

• Haha
Reactions: Remington and ChadD
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Who will manufacture thee 8 speed?

Few Americans know that Aisin, a Japonese company, actually produces the automatic transmissions in many US, Japanese, and German cars and trucks.

Some time after WWII, when Japan was in ruins following the atomic bombs dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima,, Borg-Warner, an American automatic transmission company that made the Fordomatic automatic that was also used in Hudsons, Ppackards, Studebakers, Mercurys, Lincolns, formed a joint venture with Aisin to help Japan recover. Eventually the company became Aisin-Warner and then, Aisin. Aisin builds great products including the Ram transmission behind the most powerful Cummins engines.

I rented three Penske 26' box trucks in summer of 2018 to move ourselves from Texas to WV. The Penske trucks were a pleasure to drive. They had Cummins 6.7L engines and, I believe, Aisin transmissions. They behaved exactly as the ISB6.7-Aisin combination in my '08 Ram C&C.

Development, testing, and manufacturing of an entirely new product costs $100M or more. I would be surprised if someone other than Aisin built the rumored new 8 speed.
I believe it's a version of the current one in the gas 6.4 2500, 3500. With the Cummins redline at 3000 instead of the 4000 + of the v8 diesels there's not much of advantage to a crap ton of gears. Nothing is actually official yet though.

Reactions: ChadD
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well I got jump back in on this convoy. I'm a Chevy man that owns a Ford. I also worked for Dodge at one time and owned a Dodge. I had no problems but the usually with all of them. Chevy, GMC, Dodge, rebuild the front end about 70,000. That's it. The Ford only has about 62,000 on it so I can't say yet but I believe it's going to go longer for that maintenance. The main reason I bought the Ford this time was to try out the aluminum body. I'm tried of having my truck rust down when you take good care of it. As far as gas vs diesel, the diesel is better for pulling but the maintenance is $$$$. I $$$$ maintenance cost is the making of the government. All this emission bull crap is stupid to keep up. I didn't know that when I bought this Ford and I my have bought the gas one instead but I don't drive a lot. It would take me 20 years to put 200,000 on one.

Reactions: ChadD and Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I got jump back in on this convoy. I'm a Chevy man that owns a Ford. I also worked for Dodge at one time and owned a Dodge. I had no problems but the usually with all of them. Chevy, GMC, Dodge, rebuild the front end about 70,000. That's it. The Ford only has about 62,000 on it so I can't say yet but I believe it's going to go longer for that maintenance. The main reason I bought the Ford this time was to try out the aluminum body. I'm tried of having my truck rust down when you take good care of it. As far as gas vs diesel, the diesel is better for pulling but the maintenance is $$$$. I $$$$ maintenance cost is the making of the government. All this emission bull crap is stupid to keep up. I didn't know that when I bought this Ford and I my have bought the gas one instead but I don't drive a lot. It would take me 20 years to put 200,000 on one.
Same here mine puts on about 10k a year. And a trailer is 7k of it. Actually we're pretty dam fortunate to own any of them. But if I had to buy a new truck today, it would be the new tundra.

Reactions: ChadD
Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s the old chevy ford dodge puff your chest out argument. Sorry but does that ever change? Sorry fellas but you’re gonna laugh at my set up. 86 6.9 IDI naturally asperated. Slow as hell but I always get there. There is no winner in this argument as far as I m concerned.

IMG 7914

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Your brother-in-law's uncle's girlfriend's lesbian buddy . . . and your mechanic said . . . That's all bs. It means nothing.

Facts talk and bs walks!

Have you ever owned a Dodge Ram platform? I have. I've had nothing but outstanding service.

Why don’t you take the Ram out your mouth while you are calling me a fanboy….Ramboy!😂 And the more you typed the more you proved my point. Most of what you said is Cummins and over the road trucks, which I already said was where they are king. You pointed to miles on those trucks, which in an over the road truck will be super high while the truck it self is not that old in years. Years is when the rest of the truck starts to rust and fall apart in our area. I am the brother in law and the sisters cousin as I have around 40-50 trucks on the road in our family business. And so yes I do have a Cummins, and the Cummins is great even though we just had to do the head on it and some transmission work…I also have GMs (they have been terrible for us past 100k), just bought 2 Toyota’s to give there new half ton setup a try. And we have Fords. The ecoboost ford has good power but reliability is crap. The 5.0 F150 has done the best for high mileage and reliability. We buy some of those from the oil field industry in Texas which have miles and been beat but on rust. I don’t care what badge is on the front or the side of the truck or van…..all I care about is how long it will last and what’s it gonna cost us in the long run. In your personal vehicle you can buy what makes your pee pee hard but in business you have to make decisions that help the bottom line. Believe me I would buy Dodge or Ram or whatever you want to call it if was less maintenance than the the Ford truck. Dodge vans are the biggest pos we have dealt with around here. Ford eco diesel has been a disaster for us also. In the end it sounds to me like you are a true Ramboy that gets butt hurt when it’s called out. And I’ll say it again I would take a Cummins any day….as long as it was in a different truck body. Imagine how many more Cummins would be on the road if they had teamed up with another brand long ago!🤔

Reactions: GovtMule
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Was actually headed to the dealer to buy a new 2024 - 3500, and yes a Dodge w/ Cummins and Aisan trans.

We drove several models, including a new 450 Ford and 3500 GMC - Chevy..
All were over the top in torque, hp, comfort and styling, and not least to say, crazy priced..

We have owned every flavor as heavy construction work trucks.

Honestly, I looked at the wife and said our old 98 Ram owes us nothing and is in better than new shape with our up keep.

But I wanted a newer rig for work travel and asked the Ford dealer about this one sitting on the lot..it's a 2021, low mileage, super loaded platinum ST , program car. Twin turbo 3.0 Ecoboost. 100% warranty.

So, we drove the old Dodge home and put her back in her spot, along with this one too.

We have owned Fords, Chevy, Dodge, Chrysler, Buick, Toyota, Jeep, Harley and Hondas.
And probably some I can't remember.
Cheers!

InView attachment 425291
In the failing economy and rampant inflation in the current United Socialist States of America I think you made a wise choice. I see news on my Yahoo internet news page every day of large national retailers, fast food restaurants, and manufacturers filing for bankruptcy and, in some cases, closing their doors.

Our investment account has shrunk significantly every day for the last 10 days or so.

My wife and I don't owe a dime to anyone except the monthly credit card charges which we pay in full on the first day of each month. I would not go into debt now for anything unless it was absolutely necessary such as to provide a truck or equipment by which someone earns his living. We're retired so face no such challenges.

The thought of buying a new diesel dually truck at today's prices makes me cringe. I would never do that.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!