Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The 10spd transmission is the real equalizer for the gasser.
Yes sir! And its engendered with collaboration with Ford and GM same body and gears made in each one’s respected Transmission plants with different computer programming and torque converters for there respected engines. Small example in the computer tuning, ford uses a skipped gear program when GM uses sequential shift program.
Many of my former coworkers at Roush industries worked on the development team for this.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Boolsheet
They are an electronics nightmare and you know it! 🥳 thats a story for another time.
But you are in AZ and assuming your buddy is there too. Completely different ballgame than up here. You might get that milage out of a cummins fo sho! But there drivetrain will rott and fall apart like 80’ Japanese metal up here. There is a reason the engineers at their proving grounds 10 miles from me are driving different brands for there personal trucks🤣
The new ones are a Good looking truck, ill give them that.

Reactions: Hometeam and ChadD
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally I’m a Ford guy and personally I would much rather have a Cummins engine even though I know very little about diesel engines to begin with but everything I’ve heard about commons from somebody on this form in particular is that they are the best engines out there I just wish Ford would put a Cummins in their damn trucks i have a 6.7 powerstroke in my f350. What are the biggest detractors I think from my particular truck is when you open the hood you can barely stick your hand in anywhere so many other stupid California compliant components blocking access it is difficult at best just to remove the air filter.
I'll say this. Ford is the sloppiest under the hood, it's actually embarrassing. Makes the wiring on my pioneer look factory lol. I wonder why they do this? Thers hoses all over on those. Under the hood of my ram there's a place for everything, and everything in it's place.

Reactions: Remington and ChadD
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are an electronics nightmare and you know it! 🥳 thats a story for another time.
But you are in AZ and assuming your buddy is there too. Completely different ballgame than up here. You might get that milage out of a cummins fo sho! But there drivetrain will rott and fall apart like 80’ Japanese metal up here. There is a reason the engineers at their proving grounds 10 miles from me are driving different brands for there personal trucks🤣
The new ones are a Good looking truck, ill give them that.
Almost every hotshot runs a ram, the transmissions now are as solid as anything out there. Maybe in 03 they weren't great but neither was gm in 91. Worst trans ever then. I've had 1 sensor go out in Going on 5th year with my current truck thats it and it was covered under warranty and fixed the same day . Key to any of these new diesels are they actually require to be worked or the thing will be in regeneration non stop.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Almost every hotshot runs a ram, the transmissions now are as solid as anything out there. Maybe in 03 they weren't great but neither was gm in 91. Worst trans ever then. I've had 1 sensor go out in Going on 5th year with my current truck thats it and it was covered under warranty and fixed the same day . Key to any of these new diesels are they actually require to be worked or the thing will be in regeneration non stop.
You seen the Bat signal I sent you! 😘🤣

You are 100% correct they need to be worked.

• Haha
Reactions: ChadD and Plumber32
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll be sure to warn my hotshot friend with just over a million miles across four Cummins/Aisin trucks with no failures of his "piles of rolling crap". Zero engine failures, zero transmission issues, zero driveline issues. His current 2022 5500 has over 200K on it. GMAFB
My daughters 2005 ford Taurus has 200k on it🤷‍♂️

Heck you can still find Ford 6.0s in stock form yet with that kind of mileage…even they can make it that far lol.

Reactions: ChadD
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Maybe you missed the part where the trucks pulled the grade at exactly the same time and the difference in fuel economy was a little over .8 of a mpg for the same stretch and load.

The 10spd transmission is the real equalizer for the gasser.
What two trucks?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
They belong in the Smithsonian cuz thats rare AF with once of those!
You could not be more wrong.

The Cummins diesel engine will routinely give a million miles of service with only engine oil and filter and fuel filter changes. Water pumps will wear out and require replacement.

I was an RV transporter delivering new travel trailers from factories to dealers all over the US and Canada for three years 2005 - 2008. I talked with and observed a couple hundred drivers with very high mileage Dodges and personally know two RV transporters who put more than one million miles on a Dodge-Cummins.

Did you ever see an 18 wheel OTR tractor with a Ford or GM engine?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You Ford Admirations Society members can trade "my brother-in-law knew a guy" stories all day if it makes you feel good but going back to the Ford 7.3 gasser vs. diesel topic the factory torque spec, 475 lb. ft. @ 4000 rpm is a hard fact that wishful thinking and opinions won't change.

The new and improved 10 speed can't change it either. The 10 speed can simply shift down to a lower gear which provides more torque multiplication but if you pull a trailer up a grade the 7.3 gasser is going to rev to 4000 rpm or higher while a turbodiesel will pull the grade at around 2200 - 2400 rpm.

A turbodiesel costs more to buy but it will NOT guzzle fuel and wear faster. The gasser 7.3 will give you a service life of maybe 200k miles if it's worked and resale value will be peanuts.

By comparison, the turbodiesel will operate at lower engine speed, use less fuel, wear much slower, and a Cummins will give you a million mile service life. Ford and GM something less but much more than the gasser.

And a turbodiesel with high miles but unmodified will bring a good price at replacement time. Gasser trucks are a dime a dozen with over 150k miles.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You could not be more wrong.

The Cummins diesel engine will routinely give a million miles of service with only engine oil and filter and fuel filter changes. Water pumps will wear out and require replacement.

I was an RV transporter delivering new travel trailers from factories to dealers all over the US and Canada for three years 2005 - 2008. I talked with and observed a couple hundred drivers with very high mileage Dodges and personally know two RV transporters who put more than one million miles on a Dodge-Cummins.

Did you ever see an 18 wheel OTR tractor with a Ford or GM engine?
Haha i was talking about the Ram part of the truck not the cummins.
Better explained and complemented in post#63
I had 2 cummins Kenworth's in my fleet i maintained at Roush. They were workhorses.
We also had the original contract from Chrysler to make the motor work in the first Ram it was in. I never said the Cummins need to be un the Smithsonian🤣 sorry it was interpreted that way. Its just too bad its in the truck its in. While we are on that subject, its too bad we severed ties with international too.

Reactions: Hometeam and ChadD
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
And a turbodiesel with high miles but unmodified will bring a good price at replacement time. Gasser trucks are a dime a dozen with over 150k miles.
100% correct
By comparison, the turbodiesel will operate at lower engine speed, use less fuel, wear much slower, and a Cummins will give lyou a million mile service life. Ford and GM something less but much more than the gasser.
that first part is correct. Second part I beg to differ, you see a closed moth gathers no foot! 🤣 had to say it! just messin with ya.

My close friend has 2- 6.7PS F350’s years 11’&14’ that he uses for his business for long haul to transport forklifts on a flat bed from Michigan to mainly Alertastan (for those in Reo Linda thats Alerta Canada) over 4k miles one way twice a month amongst other places around the US.

They are also part of his “snow plowing” fleet. I know its hard for folks that dont live in our area in the great white north to experience where the winter snow is normal And needs to be plowed with a truck. That puts a TON of ware and tear on a drive train than just driving and hauling. I wish those folks that dont have to do that could experience it to fully understand.
Anyway,…those 2 PS have over 900k miles on them and Im sure at least one is over 1mil mark now cuz the last time i seen that one it was headed out on a trip and it was at 980k this past fall. So yeah🤔😏

I had 280k on my 95’ international 7.3 DIPS F250 before I traded up in 08’ with a 6.4 the landscape/snow removal co That bought it is using it today and plowing with it.
I should stop in sometime and ask the milage.
Michigan winters and roads take its
Tole on bodies tho. The beast has the cancer last time I seen it.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You Ford Admirations Society members can trade "my brother-in-law knew a guy" stories all day if it makes you feel good but going back to the Ford 7.3 gasser vs. diesel topic the factory torque spec, 475 lb. ft. @ 4000 rpm is a hard fact that wishful thinking and opinions won't change.

The new and improved 10 speed can't change it either. The 10 speed can simply shift down to a lower gear which provides more torque multiplication but if you pull a trailer up a grade the 7.3 gasser is going to rev to 4000 rpm or higher while a turbodiesel will pull the grade at around 2200 - 2400 rpm.

A turbodiesel costs more to buy but it will guzzle fuel and wear faster. It will give you a service life of maybe 200k miles if it's worked and resale value will be peanuts.

By comparison, the turbodiesel will operate at lower engine speed, use less fuel, wear much slower, and a Cummins will give lyou a million mile service life. Ford and GM something less but much more than the gasser.

Dude you really, have to watch the video. Both trucks pulled the grade at the same time. Period. Take the gas station counter commando commentary and stow it. It’s factually incorrect.

The gas engine benefits with the higher gear selection because the steps between the gears are smaller. This allows more opportunity for the engine to remain in its peak power band.

Gas engines are made to rev, by design. Take the turbo off the diesel and the gas engine blows the doors of the diesel everyday and twice on Sunday in any and all metrics period.

Also torque is only a force. It’s only good at first motions. Horsepower is a rate of work based on available torque. Higher the HP, the higher the rate of work. Torque is only 1 leg of the chair.

Two different designs of engines. Each are used differently. The 10spd transmission in a modern HD truck to a gas engine is what a turbo is to a diesel…a performance improver.

The only comments Remington, I and others have been saying is that diesels are very expensive to buy and maintain…and that gas motors with the newer transmissions are overall less expensive by a wide margin and are capable of doing the same work for the weekend warrior.

You keep dragging out this straw man longevity low miles wear used bs that frankly doesn’t exist and hasn’t for some time now.

Diesels are dam expensive to buy, own and maintain these days period. And has been said before many times buying a diesel to tow with once or twice a month is financially inefficient (stupid) and doesn’t have an overall benefit on the long term.

There isn’t anyone saying a gas motor in a HD truck for full time towing is better…

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Everyone keeps talking about the Cummins instead of the truck it is in…..Dodge. Dodge is the problem. Also when we talk about miles we continue to talk about an over the road delivery truck. That is not near as hard on the truck and motor as bouncing around on construction job sites in 4x4 and pulling things out that are stuck in a mud pit. Over the road spends most of its time at a constant rpm. Not being beat shifting all day long running around a job site. Then throw our 18-25 yo kids in it and have them tow and deliver materials on top of that. The Cummins will hold up to that but the Dodge doesn’t. The facts for what I am saying are in our repair bills and my mechanics advice, who is a dodge guy. He has admitted a dodge will not last as long with the day to day abuse in Illinois (salt all winter) we put on it. If I was going to be an over the road transit guy, I would definitely get a Cummins, probably the best in the business for that work!! Different tools for different jobs.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Everyone keeps talking about the Cummins instead of the truck it is in…..Dodge. Dodge is the problem.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everyone keeps talking about the Cummins instead of the truck it is in…..Dodge. Dodge is the problem. Also when we talk about miles we continue to talk about an over the road delivery truck. That is not near as hard on the truck and motor as bouncing around on construction job sites in 4x4 and pulling things out that are stuck in a mud pit. Over the road spends most of its time at a constant rpm. Not being beat shifting all day long running around a job site. Then throw our 18-25 yo kids in it and have them tow and deliver materials on top of that. The Cummins will hold up to that but the Dodge doesn’t. The facts for what I am saying are in our repair bills and my mechanics advice, who is a dodge guy. He has admitted a dodge will not last as long with the day to day abuse in Illinois (salt all winter) we put on it. If I was going to be an over the road transit guy, I would definitely get a Cummins, probably the best in the business for that work!! Different tools for different jobs.
100% agree.

My brother works in the gas industry up in Ft. Nelson BC. Down to -60C in winter and 80% dirt roads with gumbo mud in summer. All companies run F550s with the powerstroke.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All the guys I work with that have or had diesels drove me to ram. You hear the ifs on a gm doesn't hold up. 2 guys with 17 powerstrokes one guys motor went at 62,000. They told him it was water and he was sol. Even though they couldn't prove it and they did all the maintenance from day one. Other guys was a buy back from. Electric issues. He could take a new f250 or go to the sister store and chose a ram. And that's what he did and it's been perfect over 100k and he's dragging dump trailers and skid steers around all the time beating that thing. He literally doesn't shut it off when he starts it in the morning and hasn't had 1 issue with even emissions crap.
Every part on these trucks comes from the lowest bidder.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!