four wheel drive

A

Alg

Aug 10, 2014
I am thinking of buying the new Pioneer 500, but have a question about the 4 wheel drive system. I understand that you cannot lock in 4 wheel drive. I intend to use it for snowplowing, deer hunting, and work around the yard. If not able to lock in the 4 wheel drive, would that make it a bad choice for snowplowing? I live in northern MN, with lots of snow. Would it not go thru snow well? Does it essentially become 3 wheel drive? How does the system work?

M

mikeyd

Aug 3, 2014
Good question. The machine is so newly released; I haven’t seen anyone post about performance in snow yet.
I too look forward to using (work and play) the P500 in snow. We are in upstate PA which can get their fair share too!
I guess it depends on how the differential is setup. Meaning will the "open" wheel always be the same one or will it differ depending on slip etc?
I would anticipate it being capable thought, it does have some weight to it (1000lb empty) and in my relatively short experience with it, has not shown any lack of traction in loose material whether it be mud or gravel.
I can do some more 4WD testing next weekend and report. - Looking forward to that!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!